40D Housey.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday, I picked up my old Canon 40D for the first time in probably 3 or 4 years, it just sat there in a drawer, gathering dust. I 'upgraded' my 40D to a 7D in 2012 and I've tried my best to make the 7D work but just not got 'clean' images from it, the files off the 7D have always been noisy and grainy, even at low ISO settings.

I decided to take the 40D into the hide yesterday and yes, I know, another sparrow but this is more or less straight off the camera, apart from a crop and levels tweak. Even the 40D, which is ancient these days, gives cleaner files than my best efforts with the 7D.

I get straight off the camera files (more or less) with all my cameras except the 7D, point proven I think. Now I will accept my copy of the 7D for what it is.

I tried.

tp.jpg

Last edited:
You ever thought of moving to Nikon Dale :p:angelic:

Lovely shot, it all works for me, composition, perch, pose (y)

What does strike me is the back ground looks over saturated but not the bird, possibly a tad on the perch too, not sure what that can be down to if you've done very little pp'ing

Cracking shot from a cracking camera!
It just goes to show that it's not all about mega pixels and the latest technology.

You ever thought of moving to Nikon Dale :p:angelic:

Lovely shot, it all works for me, composition, perch, pose (y)

What does strike me is the back ground looks over saturated but not the bird, possibly a tad on the perch too, not sure what that can be down to if you've done very little pp'ing

On the Nikon thing, it was an option I considered during my dilemma last year on what body to get. I already had a Fuji CSC (still do, love it) and toyed with going Fuji altogether. For wildlife though, I don't think a mirrorless was quite there, not far off but not quite. I considered Nikon too as I've had a love/hate thing with Canon but I'm heavily invested in L glass, so I decided to wait for the 6Dmkii to become available. I didn't like the mixed reviews it got though. Wifey saw how dissapointed I was and suggested I get the 5Div, which I did, she's a keeper. I love the 5D.

I'm not sure on the BG and saturation, it looks ok here, maybe a little bit on the yellows, I'll pull them back a tad. I'm guessing it's the levels tweak that's done it but even that was just a few clicks. The grass that is the BG is very lush at the moment as we've had lots of rain lately and it's gone a bit nuts on the wild bit.

Cracking shot from a cracking camera!
It just goes to show that it's not all about mega pixels and the latest technology.

Cheers. I wanted to compare the 2, on this, 40D wins! I may trade the 7 (they deserve each other) for an 80D or M5, we'll see.

Last edited:
Cheers. I wanted to compare the 2, on this, 40D wins! I may trade the 7 (they deserve each other) for an 80D or M5, we'll see.

The 80D is a nice body, it's my favourite Canon to date.

Yes indeed.

When you were trying to decide what to do about yours I strongly advised you on here about going full frame. I think you're happy you did?

Ah yes, I remember that. I am more than happy I went FF, the single best thing I've done for my photography. (y)

Ah yes, I remember that. I am more than happy I went FF, the single best thing I've done for my photography. (y)

Same here. Had been full frame for landscape for years, but full frame for wildlife is the way to go too. Now I'm thinking about the Nikon d850. That's a BIG decision!

I like you housey pic actually. I don't find the b/g too saturated personally.

Nothing wrong with the 40D used one for many years and was quite happy with the results, I though have just got myself a 750D and so far I am quite happy with the results.

Nothing wrong with the Sparrow shot would be quite happy to have that in my collection.

Tim.

Nothing wrong with the 40D used one for many years and was quite happy with the results, I though have just got myself a 750D and so far I am quite happy with the results.

Nothing wrong with the Sparrow shot would be quite happy to have that in my collection.

Tim.

My 40D won me 3 consecutive club championships, I never won a single competition with my 7D. I started winning again with the Fuji but I don't enter much these days though as I've lost a little interest in club photography but that's another story. I may try with the 5D though.

I've tried to make the 7d work, it can take decent images but there's always an element of grain, noise or mushiness to them. I'm sure it's just a handling thing and also processing too but I'm yet to crack it. It's a shame as it would make a great hide camera.

Thanks for the comment on the sparrow, they can be quite endearing. For a bird that was in decline, they seem to be back on the up.

Back