40D Info Leaked

Thanks for the link.

Could you not cancel your order?

On a more positive note, at least with the 30D your getting a camera that has a proven sensor and processor. With your requirements the last thing you would want is to be the beta tester of such a product, worst case scenario Im sure.

Also I get a an impression that much of the 400D and whats in that article about the 40D is a snap response to what Nikon has just released.

Aye especially if the date bit is true....So soon after the 30D?

I'd have to send my 30D back as its already shipped. If I do it better be compatible with the 30D's battery grip as that's also shipped. Ah hell, this is annoying.

If I were you I'd stick with the 30 Pete. Like said, youre buying into tried and tested goods.

And what will the 40 offer you above and beyond the 30? 10.1 MP? Anti dust? Is it really worth it?

Yeah you're right. There is the issue of higher megapixels and high ISO creating bad images compared to 8mp. But its the annoyance. What if the 40D launched on the 26th and was brilliant? Gah. Just not sure where to turn.

*If* its announced on the 26th of Sep, I doubt it will be available until mid to late October and then it will be selling at virtually the full MRRP...Then as others have said, your going to buying something with relatively unknown technology and software...

In all honestly i think the only "improvement" that I would be really cheesed off about is if it was a FF censor like the 5D...Otherwise you have to ask, whats lacking with the 30D?

the 30 is a beaut - from what I can tell there really isn't much between 8.2 and 10.1 mp's unless you're into poster prints!

Read with interest today how the 400d turns in odd results with exposure compared to the 350d - obviously this can be 'learned' but i agree this may be a knee jerk from Canon. You can always upgrade if you feel you must in a few seasons when the 40d is tried and tested by the consumer......

Jon

Yeah you're right. There is the issue of higher megapixels and high ISO creating bad images compared to 8mp. But its the annoyance. What if the 40D launched on the 26th and was brilliant? Gah. Just not sure where to turn.

Yes, but you've already ordered a camera which I and many others on here can assure you is DEFINATELY brilliant! Stick with it Pete - it's a cracker!

Pete - stop beating yourself up, man!

Self cleaning? Yes, only for loose dust. Stubborn stuff will still have to be cleaned off. 10.1MP as opposed to 8.1MP? It'll only give you an extra what - 200 or 300 pixels in either direction? Do you really need the extra resolution? The firmware will be brand new, and while they will have tested it, it's still gonna need at least one more update before it stabilises properly.

As others have said, you're probably better off with something that's been tried and tested. So you got no need to 'turn' anywhere other than your own photography.

Pete - stop beating yourself up, man!

I'm a perfectionist. My parents said that it would take me half an hour to decide on what chocolate bar to buy as a kid. I haven't changed :D I easily work myself up over stupid decisions and this time I figured it was time to stop. I ordered everything and to hell with decision making and the future. Now this happens! I can't win :D :bonk: :bang: :help:

Didn't this happen with your 10D, pete? :LOL:

Yup :D I bought my 10D at the end of June, went on holiday in July. I came back and the 20D was announced in August. Annoying as hell, but I look at the picture on my wall and think that if I hadn't bought my 10D I wouldn't have that print so its justified. I wanna go Nikon. ;)

meh, it happens all the time dude. Worry not.

Besides, did we not tell you that it's the photogrpaher and not the camera that makes the shot? (sideways compliment alert)

and anyway, surely it's a tiny dolls camera?

Ssssshhhhhh, Spencer. I thought the Nikon club was somewhat exclusive... ;)

Ssssshhhhhh, Spencer. I thought the Nikon club was somewhat exclusive... ;)
That's just another way of saying short of members :LOL:

These kinds of 'leaks' happen all the time. Mostly they are BS and amateur PS mockups. There is no evidence that a 40D is due. Good way for small scale web sites to get lots of gadget-obsessed visitors and milk them through their affiliation links ;-)

Indeed condyk.

If I'm being honest, in my (very limited) knowledge and opinion, a release of a 40D this month, falls outside the Canon release structure we all know. I would have said at least march next year before an update on the 30.
They've only *just* released the 30. I can't see them releasing a 40D so soon after that, nor so soon after the 400D, even if they are two seperate markets (entry level and semi pro).

When you think about it, what have those links told us that we don't already know about the upcoming 40D anyway? We know it's going to be to the 400D what the 20 was to the 350. So all the new 400D 'features' are going to be included anyway, higher MP, anti dust etc.

Honestly, even if it were true, which I really don't think. I really think you'd be better going for a 30D. You'll be buying into tried and tested parts, functions, firmware and functionality, all wrapped up in a spangly new package with a massive screen.

(y)

Well I am gonna go against the grain here, If there is such a 40D coming out in less than 3 weeks (allegedly) I would not be buying a 30D at this moment in time..:|

Sorry chaps just my 2pence.:p

Lets face it really.......... Its only speculation anyway..:(

Well I am gonna go against the grain here, If there is such a 40D coming out in less than 3 weeks (allegedly) I would not be buying a 30D at this moment in time..:|

I'd agree, if it's true I'd wait. I don't really hold with the "hold off till they iron out the wrinkles" view, it's not as if they don't test them rigourously before hand.

leaked info or as condyk says, a made up story to get more traffic onto the site.

id plump for the latter, as lets face it, the article tells us nothing. 10.1mp, 2.5" screen, anti dust, surely they've just taken the similarities between the 350D and the 20D (granted the 20D and 350D did actually use different sensors) and turned them round to fit what the 30D's successor might be.

the article is pure speculative bull****, its all made up i recon, as made up as the picture on the site

EDIT: i notice that canon have told them to F*** O** with the article, and they've added a few "alleged" and "potentially" s to the article....

Aye well ... a strictly 'sensible buyer' may wish to wait patiently until after the event that is due to launch the new *cough-cough* 40D this month, but no one in their right mind is gonna pay a significant premium for dust cleaning and 10mp even if Canon do let a new model rip. There is no way I would get out of bed for that kind of upgrade.

What is there competing at the 30D price point at the moment anyway? Not the 200D. Not the D70s. Maybe the Sony Alpha A100, but mainly to newbies. So, why do Canon need a model launch at this point? The 350D had huge competition. You understand why the 400D was needed given body IS and the dust sweeper thingy in the Sony A100, and then the Pentax K100D with body IS too and much cheaper. And the cheaper Nikons nibbling its market from both ends!

Nah, 40D's not gonna happen any time soon. The new Sigma SD14 will be launched then tho' ... could well be worth having if the IQ of the SD9 and SD10 are anything to go by.

It was all a lot easier and a whole less load of hassle when Kodak, Agfa or Ilford introduced a new film. ;) Let's face that's the only difference that will be seen by the punters! :shrug:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&thread=19890732

Apparently the guy on dpreview who predicted 2 other Canon releases is predicting the 40D. Hmmmmmmmm.

do people actually pay any attention to DPreview, its full of overly aggressive people pushing there opinions onto others, wow hes predicted 2 other canon releases.... canons product cycle is fairly consitent so predicting a canon release is like predicting that sheep live in wales. IMHO this is just a false story pn the back of new releases in the market, canon know what they are doing and i wouldnt recon they'd release a new camera so soon after the 400D and after the 30D was released not so long ago, it'd be like saying "yeh sorry the 30D, bit of a stopgap, we better don our canon branded sheep outfit and go follow nikon and sony with more MP's etc", when we know that it was really canon perfecting an all ready awesome camera.

they aint gonna rush into a bigger sensor when the 30D is still at the top of its game,i personally think they'll replace it when the benefits of the new technology are substantial, i.e when it actually makes a big different, as lets face it 10mp is not much in physical image size than 8mp. and many still see anti dust features as a bit of a gimick, bigger screen... who cares..:shrug:

do people actually pay any attention to DPreview, its full of overly aggressive people pushing there opinions onto others, wow hes predicted 2 other canon releases.... canons product cycle is fairly consitent so predicting a canon release is like predicting that sheep live in wales. IMHO this is just a false story pn the back of new releases in the market, canon know what they are doing and i wouldnt recon they'd release a new camera so soon after the 400D and after the 30D was released not so long ago, it'd be like saying "yeh sorry the 30D, bit of a stopgap, we better don our canon branded sheep outfit and go follow nikon and sony with more MP's etc", when we know that it was really canon perfecting an all ready awesome camera.

they aint gonna rush into a bigger sensor when the 30D is still at the top of its game,i personally think they'll replace it when the benefits of the new technology are substantial, i.e when it actually makes a big different, as lets face it 10mp is not much in physical image size than 8mp. and many still see anti dust features as a bit of a gimick, bigger screen... who cares..:shrug:

In the next 18-24 months I predict that Canon will indeed release a new digital camera called the.......................................wait for it............................450D. I'm psychic me.:naughty:

Err... The 30D already has a 2.5" screen.

If they don't release the 40D, they'll have an entry-level camera (the confirmed 400D) with more pixels than the prosumer camera (the current 30D). While I agree that pixels don't matter, it would be a bit silly to have a camera that had better resolution than the model above it so I suspect Canon will do something.

Personally I don't think they should have let Nikon force their hand. They should stick to their own release timetable.

Well, I put my money where my mouth is and bought a 30D...I've been drooling over a DSLR on and off since the 10D came out, but always found an excuse not to take the plunge...First it was the price and then it was always the rumours of a model coming out...

The only thing that would make me regret not waiting was if the 40D has the full frame sensor from the 5D; even if it does, it would probably too expensive...

Regards,

Pete

Looking at the guys past reputation who started the 40D rumor, you shouldn't get your hopes up :)

Back