40D Metering Mode

raythefab

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there one metering mode that you can leave the camera on sort of an all rounder:)

You can leave it in any mode you like, depending on your style of shooting.

Many people use Av as a default. Some would rather stick pins in their eyes than take it out of M. Some would never dare move away from the green box mode.

You can leave it in any mode you like, depending on your style of shooting.

Many people use Av as a default. Some would rather stick pins in their eyes than take it out of M. Some would never dare move away from the green box mode.

I must admit I tend to leave mine in AV mode as the default, and occasionlly the green box:whistle::confused:
If I am feeling brave I even sometimes try manual :LOL:

Av is a metering mode? :shrug:

I normally leave it in evaluative but will pop into spot when I need to get an accurate reading in tricky conditions - someone on a dark stage for example.

Depends what I'm shooting. If using flash/studio then I tend to always use manual, Sports or fast moving then mostly TV, walkabout stuff mostly AV.

Evaluative or center weighted average are the general modes, I think you camera has spot and partial too. If you look in the manual I'm sure it will give you a plan on how these modes cover the screen and work. Evaluative is for point and click use really.

I`ve never really used spot metering as it wasn`t a feature of my 350d. What`s the most effective way of using it?

whatever you stick the spot on will be metered as 12% reflected grey if I'm not mistaken.

It should be 18% but I've vague memory that I read Canon had adjusted this figure but not revealed to what exactly.

The old back of the hand trick still works fine though (y)

It should be 18% but I've vague memory that I read Canon had adjusted this figure but not revealed to what exactly.

The old back of the hand trick still works fine though (y)

I think the 18% is from the old days of printing and a true rep is 12%, I read somewhere that they are calibrated using ANSI standards and the luminance value equates to a reflective 12% grey. :shrug: You could shoot an 18% grey card and see if it is visible on the histogram.

Manual, although the camera is usually set to spot, or evaluative.

Mainly in Evaluative, but changed when circumstances dictate.

another vote for evaluative....generally!!:shrug:

Evaluative here as well, with the odd use of spot metering if the situation demands it.

I have, for quite some time now, left both the 350, and the 40 on spot metering. Mainly because I've been doing a lot of portraits and wildlife stuff. Same with the focus too, that's on the single centre spot.

Steve

Back