40D or 5D

Kim

Name
Kim
Edit My Images
Yes
Within the next 6 to 10 months I plan on treating myself to a camera upgrade. My little 300D is serving me well and will be kept as a second body. But I am not sure which out of the 40D and 5D seems more appealing. I have read all the "tecnincal" stuff and I can't help but feel the 40D is better value for money for what it offers. I know the other obvious differences between them are the megapixels ans the price.
But I was wondering of those who have these cameras what are your personal experiances with using them?
Would be nice to get an idea of how people find using them and how the handle with the type of photography you take.

At the momnet I am leaning towards the 40D, but would have a handle of both before making my final choice. Just wondered what othes thought of these two cameras.#
Cheers in advance guys. (y)

I think it really comes down to what you want to do with the camera. I've a 300D which is still in use but mainly as one of my backup cameras. Still feels nice to use.

I have a 5D which was purchased before the 40D was announced. I think I would still have bought it as I really needed a full frame camera. However the 40D has a great spec, and would be a good choice.

Don't get to hung up on pixel count. It's unlikely you'll see much difference between a 10MP Camera and 12 MP under normal conditions. In fact my 300D has had images used in magazines at double page spreads. Not bad for 6 MP.

My feeling would be unless you have an over ridding reason to go to full frame then the 40D would be a good bet. Use the extra money to buy an additional good quality lens to go with it or some other accessory.

I My feeling would be unless you have an over ridding reason to go to full frame then the 40D would be a good bet. Use the extra money to buy an additional good quality lens to go with it or some other accessory.

This is kind of how I was feeling. Not bothered about the different in pixle count as 2 is not much really anyway. I was thinking of the 5D first but then after reading a bit more on the 40D I started to wondering if this may be the better way to go.
And I suppose the extra pennies on accessories would be a beter idea (and everyone knows how us girls love accessories :woot: ).

Plus as I am still trying to find what direction to take with my photograhy I think it might suit better. Cheers.

I wondered about this myself (my 40D turns up on Monday, hopefully!), and the comments I read/saw/was given on several occasions basically said that the 40D is a poor man's 1D and the 5D is a poor man's 1Ds, i.e. the 40D is for sports, wildlife, action, etc and the full-frame 5D is for landscapes, studio photography, that sort of thing.

Obviously both will do anything you want them to, but as I understand that's how they're "biased" in terms of abilities.

Actually that helps a lot. Wildlife, Sports, Action is kind of the direction I am thinking of going.................so it would make snse to go for a camera that is suited to those subjects.

The big difference between the 40D and 5D is, apart from what you would use it for, the sensor.

The 40D is actually better in almost every aspect (it's almost the same size, bigger LCD, faster FPS, better processor, live view, the AF is more advanced).

The reason? The 5D is really old, the oldest camera in the Canon range. It's just about to be upgraded so this is actually in some ways a good time to buy one (becuase you will get it cheap) and at the same a time a bad one (because the new one is about to come out which will be a serious piece of kit).

The difference as I said is the sensor. The only reason the 5D is better is due to it's very high-quality, low-noise, full-frame sensor. All it's other features are the same or worse than the 40D.

But as said before, they are for different purposes and are like the difference between the 1D and 1Ds.

Both very good cameras, I have a 40D myself and LOVE it. Looking to get a 5D in 6 months or a year when the new one is out, then i'l keep the 40D as a secondary.

Im not sure i agree with that.. Iv got both and although the 40D is better feature wise the IQ isnt.. imo.. i find my images look just like the ones that came out of my 400D.. but the images that come out of the 5D blow them away... i find it focuses better too.. this could all be down to user error or maybe iv got a duff 40D.. :shrug:

Yeah the images from a 5D are far superior to the 40D, i'm not denying that, but it's due to the full frame sensor more than anything else.

I'm not 100% on the AF, but I think the 40D has a newer, more advanced AF system. They are both 9-point but I think the 40D has a slightly better one.

All im saying really is that it's pretty much the 5D's sensor alone that makes it better than a 40D. All will change when the MKII comes out, can't wait to get my hands on one of those!

Back