40D or MK1 5D

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I have a 40D and I really fancy getting a non-cropped sensor. Unless I bight the bullet and get a Mk2 5D new, I would be looking at the Original 5D.

Does anyone have any pro's and cons as to what to do? Do I stick with the 40D or what?

Thanks

you could always get a second hand 5Dmk2.

I used to use a 40D, and while I found it a great camera, I find the FF body of a 5dII much more suits my needs.

What do you photograph mostly out of interest? what makes you feel the need to upgrade to FF?

Well I'm trying to learn at the moment, I would like to improve my landscape, but I really enjoy people pics/sport. I do realise that the 40D has 6FPS over 3 that the 5D mk2 does. But I think my lenses would prefer FF as they are both 17-40 F/4 L and 24-105 F/4 L

What do you think?

Well I'm trying to learn at the moment, I would like to improve my landscape, but I really enjoy people pics/sport. I do realise that the 40D has 6FPS over 3 that the 5D mk2 does. But I think my lenses would prefer FF as they are both 17-40 F/4 L and 24-105 F/4 L

What do you think?

For general people pics/landscape, the 5D would probably be better. However, not sure about sport. I know the original 5D was slated a bit for it's AF ability for sport, but I have no idea how the 5DII compares.

The 7D's AF is said to be better, and more suited for fast-moving subjects, but that doesn't necessarily mean the 5DII won't give you good results (never tried either of them, so can't be more helpful there!)

Depending on your shooting style, the fps may or may not make a difference. I tried it the first time I shot sport, and got a little carried away with the whole '6.3 frames per second'. Demolished an entire memory card in 10 minutes flat, and spent the rest of the game deleting the whole lot :D

Now I stick to just shooting 1 shot at a time!

Chris

To me the 5D (classic) is just a better camera than the 40D, doesn't matter what you're doing. But then I just never liked the 40D for some reason.

40D's got the crop factor going on, and the extra fps, but you can work around them easy enough.

I've shot sport for work with a 5D and 5D mk II, both performed well enough, you just have to know how to use them.

Generally the 5D mk II is going to give you a better landscape than the mk I for the detail, and extra colour depth. But then there are plenty of people making a living shooting landscapes with the mk I (and other bodies).

Horses for courses, see if you can get your hands on some cameras for a play..

I would agree with the comments that the 5D is street ahead of the 40D.
The one problem you may find (not exactly a problem) is getting used to FF, i have only ever used Crop Sensor cameras and you have this perception in your mind what something is going to look like through the viewfinder. I then put the 5D to my eye and say "crap..need to walk closer".
Everything about it just oozes quality though and certainly with the lenses you have would be a far better option.

What do you think?

I think 5D would be a nice upgrade for you given the set of lenses you own. 40d + 17-85 should cover the cost. The output should be much nicer, and AF is just as good (or perhaps just as bad). You may need to get used to manually cleaning the sensor a little more often.
However if you can opt for mk2. Also consider 1Ds mk2 if good AF and FF are both important. Don't worry much about fps unless you are a pro sports fotographer.

I don't think you would notice "that" much difference between the images from the 5d and 40d. I've often thought about moving to the 5d from the 40d, if only to make more use of my lenses at the time.

Some people suggest that the 40d can produce better results (ISO noise) than the 5d - see comments at the bottom of the following link ...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/canon-40D-handson.shtml

I have therefore kept my 40d until I find something that will make a noticeable difference, because it is still an excellent camera for what I want.

Just my thoughts!

Nick

Middle ground = 1d Mk2 or 2N, 1.3 crop lots of fps, good/brilliant AF.
Anywhere between £500 -700 second hand
Matt

Back