40D reliability?

Name
Andrew Collier
Edit My Images
No
I was eagerly waiting reviews of the 450D when browsing through the Canon UK outlet on ebay for refurbished SLRs I did a search for the 40D. There was not a single one listed current nor completed sales in last 10 days. When I did a search for the 400D there are 17 currently listed and 51 completed in last 10 days.

This suggests that the 40D is VERY reliable against the 400D somewhat UNRELIABLE! What do owners think of either model? I wonder if the extra premium on the 40D would be a good buy against the 450D?

Any comments appreciated

It suggests the 40D hasn't been on the market long enough to generate any second hand sales... :)

I'd suggest there are many times the number of 400D's on the market due to initial numbers sold and total time on sale, what you are seeing is nothing to do with the reliability or otherwise of either camera.

Howevere my 400d has worked fine for the last 4500 clicks :D

You have to set those results against the volumes in the field. There are probably lots more 400's out there than 40D's.

I have a 40D and it's too new to call it at the moment but very happy with it's performance.

I got a 40D a few weeks ago and have been completely satisfied with its performance and reliability to date.

I really struggled over whether to wait for the 450D and the extra 2mp but in the end decided 10mp was enough and build quality, reliability and lifespan were way more important. I recommend the 40D hands down, try using one and then pick up a 400 or 350D, they feel like pieces of plastic.

Also, the 40D retails on Amazon for £640, with the £100 cashback that is a very desirable body for little outlay

Just to point out that I've just bought a 40D for £619 before 100 quid cashback, from warehouse express. Well worth the money.

And surely a 40D is an obvious upgrade path for beginners going beyond their first SLR? Sell the 400D to get a 40D...

Back