40D to GF1? Update.....

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I have searched for this on the forum but have not found the answers I am looking for really...

I currently have a Canon 40D with 24-70 f2.8L and 70-200 f4L lenses.

I constantly find myself not bothering to take my camera because it is big, heavy and conspicuous. I feel I am probably missing some great candid shots of the kids (ages 2 and 3) for this very reason.

The main times I find myself using the Canon are on planned photographic trips which with family and work commitments are few and far between!

I don't photograph wildlife or really and sports and if anything I tend to take more macro pictures which I presume could be done easily on the GF1 with a dedicated macro lens?

I cannot see myself being 100% happy with a compact (the wife has an LX2 which is ideal for her) so am considering selling up and buying a GF1 with the 20mm lens.

So...... Has anyone made the same leap or can anyone offer any wise words?

Cheers

Last edited:
Do it. If you are struggling to take the camera out because of bulkiness then get the GF1.

I know a few people on here make the switch and find it great however they sometimes have to keep there old kit because they are doing professional work. I'd be very tempted to buy a set up even if it was something simple to start with but the trouble is the price at the minute and I haven't got the cash either.

I have a GF1 with a 14-45mm lens which I'm trying to trade for any reasonable Canon lenses, bought last August, light use only.

If you want to consider a trade for any of your kit give us a shout, sadly I have no cash to play with at present as a makeweight :)

I did!! and i went back to a DSLR as the IQ just wasn't quite there. Don't get me wrong the GF1 and Olympus Pen's are very very good and the 20mm f1.7 lens awesome but still i wasn't totally happy. I have just bought a NEX 5 which has a proper ASP-C Sensor so with the right lens I'm hoping it will be as good as my 500D. IF it is would i sell my 500D....probably not. Sony are supposed to be bringing out a better NEX camera for the more PRO photographer so if that's as good then i will have to think again.

I had a 40D and sold it as it was too heavy. The 500D is pretty light with a zoom on the front so I'm quite happy with that.

24-70 is a nice brick, but for "those" moments, why not get a small prime or two (85, 24, 50 or 35mm). 40D is pretty small and light by itself.

I had a good play with GF1 on their demo event, trying to put myself in casual snapping mode. I still couldn't get on with it. The EVF is awful, action shots (cough your kids cough) are hard for the best part of it. Basically it is a camera, what all compacts should be like today. It is not a substitute for a dSLR.

I have a 5D [full frame thingy] and a GF1 + 20mm. The GF1 goes everywhere with me and I've taken a hell of a lot of 'snapshotty' type of pictures that I would never have got otherwise. A lot of them have been worthwhile keepers, and a good few of them properly composed for artistic merit.

I've used it alongside my 5D, taking almost identical shots and been able to compare them. No, the GF1 does not compare to the 5D, nor did I expect it to. But....they are still pretty good and I've kept them.

Would I dump my 5D for a GF1? No way. Not even a more basic SLR. But I would go so far as to say that if I were put in a position where I could only take my GF1 on one of my overseas holidays, it wouldn't be the end of the world and I could live with it. And the GF1 is getting a lot more use than the 5D, because I can take it everywhere with me.

I took my Canon s95 to Temerife last year and was pretty blown away by the results!! And I'm a fussy bugger!!:D

Go on sell the lot, :LOL:

and let me know ...... when you do

would love a 24-70 :)

on a more serious note, if you feel as if you are not getting good use out of your kit then, yup, try the smaller cam.

While I have not traded in I use both my 5D and GF1 I mainly got the GF1 when I wanted to travel light like away with my better half as she always says the camera bag is to heavy not that she carries it. You might be slightly limited with just the 20mm lens. Another option would be maybe to get a comapct maybe G12 or the the S90? which also has raw if you still wanting to regain as much control as you have with your SLR, If it just for when you out and about so you don't miss shots this might be all you need. I like my GF1 I have both the 14-45mm and 20mm like one of the other answers that has appeared while typing I would not swap the 5D for the GF1 they both have there place, I have been lucky enough to be able to use both. I have had by GF1 since the start of December and taken a lot of photos so far. and yes maybe carrried more than I would have done then my 5D or might still be just the newness not worn off :LOL:

I got rid of all my DSLR gear apart from the 7D and telephoto lenses and bought a GF1 with 20mm and 14-45mm.

Best move I ever made.

Sure, I will probably miss the 50D + 12-24mm next time I fancy doing landscapes but the remaining 80% of my 'non tele' photography has got so much more fun and accessible.

I am very happy - it got me taking my camera places again.

. double post

Last edited:
I did!! and i went back to a DSLR as the IQ just wasn't quite there. Don't get me wrong the GF1 and Olympus Pen's are very very good and the 20mm f1.7 lens awesome but still i wasn't totally happy. I have just bought a NEX 5 which has a proper ASP-C Sensor so with the right lens I'm hoping it will be as good as my 500D. IF it is would i sell my 500D....probably not. Sony are supposed to be bringing out a better NEX camera for the more PRO photographer so if that's as good then i will have to think again.

I had a 40D and sold it as it was too heavy. The 500D is pretty light with a zoom on the front so I'm quite happy with that.

In what way was the IQ not up to scratch, the MP count is higher than my 40D and all the shots taken with the 20mm look razor sharp.

Edit : If anyone fancies sending me some full res pics taken from the GF1 I'd really appreciate it...

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
I paid £430 for my GF-1 just before Christmas and have seen an offer after new years in one of the magazines that PC World or Curry's were selling them off at a clearance price of £399. Admittedly it's with the 14-45mm rather than the 20mm but you could probably cover most of the outlay by selling just your 70-200mm.

I bought mine for similar reasons that you're talking about (as well as fancying a change from a Canon G10) and it was funded buy the sale of the G10 & my old 350D. I've kept hold of my 500D and a couple of lenses for occasions when I do want to use it.

At normal viewing distances either on screen or in print I have no complaints at all about GF1 + 20mm f1.7 image quality.

I've just come back from Kazakhstan and although I only took my LX5 and GF1 I don't regret not taking my DSLR as it would, frankly, have spoilt the trip.

Have a look at the G1 as well. It's much more pleasant to handle in use than the compact-style hold-it-at-arms-length compact style usage...and you can use telephoto lenses handheld.

I ditched my 30D for an E-P1...and went back to a 5D2 within a couple of months because I didn't like the handling. I then found I hardly used the 5D and lenses as it was too big and heavy.....so ended up with a G1! It's just the right compromise in my opinion...love the swivelling screen too.

If your current photography is mainly your kids and macro I would stay with the DSLR and get a lighter prime. As the kids grow up and get involved in sport and other activities you may regret not having the flexibility of the DSLR, IMHO.

I sold off my 40D 100-400L and other lenses all my bits and bobs and lightened my load down to a GF1 +20mm lens. 40D + lens was getting too bulky/heavy so I leave that to the younger guys. The kit was not getting full use.
I don't regret getting rid of my DSLR gear, now I can just carry the GF1 in my jacket pocket when I go out or have it sitting on the table next to my fav chair when the grandkids are up and fire off a few pics. I take the camera with me each time I go out now more than I did with the 40D
Only thing I kept was the tripod in case it's needed.
You need to be sure you want rid of the 40D etc cos remember how hard it was saving up for it all, and how much more expensive it would be replacing it if you went back to dslr

I think on certain occasions many of us wish for a lighter setup! This is what works well for me:

D300s & 17-55 f2.8 (plus other lenses/flash etc) for a dedicated photo trip.

D300s & 35mm f1.8 for when I want to travel lighter (amazing how much lighter a combo this is!) in a small Lowepro holster bag. Fun too, being restricted to one prime!

Panny LX5 for most other outings when I don't want to carry a camera bag.

For the investment, if it were me I'd try a small cheap prime like the 50mm first and see how you get on, before selling all your gear.

I've looked very seriously at a micro 4/3rds several times, I keep coming back to the fact that I don't like the compromise on for example the DOF that using a 2:1 crop sensor would involve.
So I've recently moved from zooms to just primes. I've already sold my 70-200F4L and will shortly be doing the same for my 24-105. In place I'll be using a 35mm F2, 85mm F1.8 and at home a 100mm F2.8 macro. The cost is similar, but not only are the 35/85mm combo lighter than one of the bigger zooms, they also have serious advantages in IQ as a side effect of being primes.
That would be my suggestion.

Here's some example weights:
24-70 F2.8 950g
70-200 F4L 700g
24-105 F4L 670g
85mm F1.8 400g
35mm F2 200g

So a pairing of 85mm and 35mm weigh less than a single "walkabout" 24-105 zoom in my case. Whilst the zoom might have more flexibility on range, I really do prefer the resultant photos from the primes.

Last edited:
I have searched for this on the forum but have not found the answers I am looking for really...

I currently have a Canon 40D with 24-70 f2.8L and 70-200 f4L lenses.

I constantly find myself not bothering to take my camera because it is big, heavy and conspicuous. I feel I am probably missing some great candid shots of the kids (ages 2 and 3) for this very reason.

The main times I find myself using the Canon are on planned photographic trips which with family and work commitments are few and far between!

I don't photograph wildlife or really and sports and if anything I tend to take more macro pictures which I presume could be done easily on the GF1 with a dedicated macro lens?

I cannot see myself being 100% happy with a compact (the wife has an LX2 which is ideal for her) so am considering selling up and buying a GF1 with the 20mm lens.

So...... Has anyone made the same leap or can anyone offer any wise words?

Cheers

I have a fairly similar set up to you so I completely understand where you are coming from especially about the weight and conspicuousness. Just before Christmas I got a Canon s90 and it has got to be the best purchase I've made in a long time. Okay, its not anywhere near as quick as the 40D but the IQ is amazing for something so small, shoots RAW, and the best bit is that it fits in my jacket pocket. It is just so portable. With the recent launch of the s95 the price of a 2nd hand s90 is being pushed down.

I have a GF-1 as well as a D700 and I love it. I can stick a pocket wizard on it and trigger my Nikon flashes and the IQ of the 20mm is great, even the 14-45 is not bad...

I wouldn't like it to be my only camera though, on the D700 the focusing is so much better and easier, the electronic view finder on the GF-1 helps but is still not in the same ball park. It is fine for relatively static things but for moving objects does not compare. The RAW files from the GF-1 have got much less latitude than the RAW files from the D700, even relatively small exposure adjustments introduce a fair amount of noise.

I'm not much into macro but I should think the smaller sensor and greater DOF that comes with it would be a benefit with the GF-1 so, for you, it might suit better.

I have a 50D, along with a Sigma 10-20, 24-105L and 70-200L 2.8 IS. I use all of the kit a lot, but it's not always easy to carry a gripped body with even the smallest zoom on when popping into town or whatever.Also last year I took a 30D on holiday with 3 lenses and while it was great to have the gear there, it was a bind to lug the gear about on the offchance. As I like to have a camera with me at all times, I sold the 30D and lesser lenses, and got a G12 for more portability, yet plenty of scope for a good picture. Now I have a (comparatively) small and portable camera, full control and I can literally grab it and go. I also got a Zipshot folding tripod, and if used carefully with the G12, I can get excellent results at low ISO and small apertures. However, I also don't mind lugging the big gear for sports events or street events etc, so I would say yes get something smaller but hang on to the SLR. It took me a long time to build up my kit and I doubt I would ever get back to the same level if I sold it, so have a good appraisal of your needs before acting.

Last edited:
Not a canon user, but I had the same dilemna. Camera gear too heavy and underused. I had a Nikon D300 and selection of f2.8 lenses and ditched them all to buy a GF1. Best move I ever made. The camera went with me everywhere and I took shots where the D300 would be just too cumbersome. Days out were a pleasure again and I got the shots and enjoyed the day without worrying about all that weight.
Its not a pro camera so dont expect pro shots...all the time. IQ isnt going to be as good as a DSLR, but it is so close most of the time you wouldnt notice.
If you need a viewfinder, take a look at a G1 or G2, bigger than the GF1 but still smaller and lighter than your DSLR, or get the EVF for the GF1, but its not brilliant.
I wanted a viewfinder to use with my Panny 45-200 lens cos I found it hard to use with just an EVF, so bought a G2. The G2 is now my main use camera and my GF1 became a standby, till yesterday when I sold it and bought a Leica X1.
IQ on that is superb and I still have a small compact digital camera, but with a DSLR sized sensor.
Best of both worlds!

Have a look through the panasonic G Seies owners thread, you will get some idea of how much these little cameras are thought of, and some eye opening images that will make you question whether a DSLR is always better!
Allan

Last edited:
I'm still not sure I'd want to totally ditch a well thought out DSLR kit and go for a GF-1. I love mine but looking at the op's kit bag, it would take some getting back if he did decide he'd made the wrong choice. Like I said before, if you can afford it, sell the lens and perhaps some accessories and use that to fund the camera to start with.

Also, echoing the ones who've said how it's great to be back out and taking a camera with you, I know exactly what you mean. If I really want to, I can even go without a bag completely. I can fit camera, 20mm lens attached and the 14-45mm or nissin flash in my coat pocket (even a close fitting north face zip up fleece) with minimal fuss. Although a bit snug, I can fit the lot, camera, both lenses, flash, evf, spare cards, card reader, AA batteries and lens cloth in a Jimmy Bo 200 and it carries nicely

I'd like to gt a GF1 to use for snapshots alongside my GH1 - IQ wise it's the standard 4/3 level, Great at ISO100 but goes down rapidly and a bit short on Dynamic range. if these are important to you then get a GH1 or GH2, both offer much much better ISO handling and Dynamic range, as well as a more DSLR like feel.

There's no way I would go full size DSLR again unless I need to shoot something with a very large and very fast lens and where lugging it about wouldn't be an issue.

I can't wait to get a 20mm 1.7!

If you think you'd still like an SLR but feel you'd hardly ever use it then you could do what I did. I have a u4/3 camera but also a 35mm SLR with some primes for those times when I manage to get out on an actual photography day. It only gets a little use but it's there when I want it and is losing no value. As a bonus I have an adapter for the u4/3 body so I can stick the primes on there if I feel like it.

Regarding image quality. Zoomed to 100% you'll see that your current DSLR has less noise at equivalent ISOs compared to a 4/3 sensor camera. Luckily for me nobody that views my photos wants to see them at 100% and at normal viewing distances/print sizes the photos look just as good as those from both DSLRs I used to have. If you're a pro and need to make big enlargements then you may well find the image quality lacking of course but given your current situation a nice 10"x8" print is surely preferable to no photo at all?

Good luck with your decision!

P.S. I'd describe the improved ISO and dynamic range of the GH series as a 'bit' better than the G and GFs rather than 'much' but of course that's subjective and there are tests our there for you to compare all the models.

Last edited:
Right then, firstly I'd like to thank everyone for all the advice given so far. (y)

I have decided to definitely get a GF1. I think I will sell the 70-200 to fund it initially and hang on to the 40D and 24-70. I can always pick up another decent zoom and it has been my least used lens in the last 9 months anyway...

My options for the future based on current advice include selling the 24-70 for some primes and possibly a wide angle lens for full on "photographic trips out!"

I'm going to try and have a play with a GF1 at the weekend but will definitely be looking for a kit with the 20mm lens.

woo hoo, new gadgets!! :clap:

Andy

P.S. I'd describe the improved ISO and dynamic range of the GH series as a 'bit' better than the G and GFs rather than 'much' but of course that's subjective and there are tests our there for you to compare all the models.

I'd define much by the fact that the GHs can outperform all but 7D and D5000 noise wise, and even then, it's pretty close. You're looking at about 1-1.5 stops better off in Dynamic range and Noise compared to the 'standard' 4/3 and m4/3 lineup.

Of course if you're not trying to push the boundaries in these fields then it makes sod all difference! (y)

Like I said, I'd hve no qualms about relying on a GF1 for normal use.

I'm going to try and have a play with a GF1 at the weekend but will definitely be looking for a kit with the 20mm lens.

woo hoo, new gadgets!! :clap:

Andy

That was what I had originally planned to do but I did the math and a 20mm kit was about £120 more than the 14-45mm kit. Whereas the 20mm lens ws only about £40 more expensive than the 14-45mm separately, if that makes sense?

Basically, it worked out around £80 cheaper for me to get the zoom kit and buy the 20mm afterwards, but this was before Christmas. Now the GF-2 is out it might be a different scenario.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread earlier, but PC World/Curry's (maybe just online) are doing a clearance price of £399 on the zoom kit.

That was what I had originally planned to do but I did the math and a 20mm kit was about £120 more than the 14-45mm kit. Whereas the 20mm lens ws only about £40 more expensive than the 14-45mm separately, if that makes sense?

Basically, it worked out around £80 cheaper for me to get the zoom kit and buy the 20mm afterwards, but this was before Christmas. Now the GF-2 is out it might be a different scenario.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread earlier, but PC World/Curry's (maybe just online) are doing a clearance price of £399 on the zoom kit.

Cheers for the heads up and info buddy! (y)

Unfortunately the Curry's deal is only on the red bodies now. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a second hand one with whichever lens comes up first or see what the prices do when the GF2 is released.

I had a play with a GF1 with the 14-45? (or42) kit lens on as they didn't have any 20mm lenses and I must say I was pretty impressed with the feel of the camera. So much so that the 70-200 is now up for sale to fund one!!

Many thanks again for all the help / advice given. I shall look forward to posting some pictures taken with the new addition!

Last edited:
If you do go for the kit zoom, try and get the 14-45 rather than the 14-42. The 45 has better IQ and build(metal mount and the is switch) and to me has a better feel to the manual focus ring. It is a very good little lens IMHO.

Don't forget there's the new Olympus E-PL2 coming out this month! There's also the Sony NEX 5 which has a APS-C sized sensor and interchangeable lens system. The Kit lenses are not the best but the 16mm is pretty good. There are more lenses coming out this year and the camera really shines when used with good quality manual focus glass.

Last edited:
Don't forget there's the new Olympus E-PL2 coming out this month! There's also the Sony NEX 5 which has a APS-C sized sensor and interchangeable lens system. The Kit lenses are not the best but the 16mm is pretty good. There are more lenses coming out this year and the camera really shines when used with good quality manual focus glass.

I have considered the NEX-5 but from what I've read, it handles a lot less like a DSLR than the GF1 requiring you to enter menus to change aperture etc...

Price wise it does seem a bargain though... Has anyone had both and preferred the NEX5?

I'm still swaying very much towards the GF1, although my eyes / head hurts from reading so many reviews of the EPL-1, EP1, GF1/2 and NEX3/5!! :bang::bonk:

I know what you mean, i trawled all those reviews too and they just confused me more, lol. There was a video review on YouTube, I think maybe from one of the gadget site/blogs and he was talking and taking pics with both cameras. That was what gave me a better idea about the nex's handling. If I can find it I'll link it.

I'm using my iPad so I hope the link works.. digitalrev.com - Sony NEX-5 first look (feat. GF-1

I did have a bit of a play with a nex-5 before I got my GF-1. I didn't particularly like the to-ing & fro-IMF through menus to change things, although I'm sure that it's something that would've become more familiar with use, but I didn't really love the look or feel of it in my hand either. I can't put my finger on why, but I decided quite easily that I didn't feel it was for me, and that was even with the VAT back bargains that it was being offered with before Christmas.

The other thing which put me off was the proprietary hotshoe connection for the flash (very typical Sony) and that their was no actual built in flash for spur of the moment use. With my GF-1 I've got a built in flash, a reasonably compact Nissin unit which cost all of £60 that offers ttl, tilt, adjustable power and slave shooting as well as having the option of using a Sigma 530 flash that I use on my 500D, albeit without ttl.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of M4/3 cameras. I now also have a 5D but all of the shots in the galleries on my website were taken with either the G1 or GF1. There are many occasions when you don't want either the weight or presence of a DSLR, and in most situations there isn't much difference at all in terms of IQ.

Having both is the best of both worlds though. :)

I know what you mean, i trawled all those reviews too and they just confused me more, lol. There was a video review on YouTube, I think maybe from one of the gadget site/blogs and he was talking and taking pics with both cameras. That was what gave me a better idea about the nex's handling. If I can find it I'll link it.

I'm using my iPad so I hope the link works.. digitalrev.com - Sony NEX-5 first look (feat. GF-1

I did have a bit of a play with a nex-5 before I got my GF-1. I didn't particularly like the to-ing & fro-IMF through menus to change things, although I'm sure that it's something that would've become more familiar with use, but I didn't really love the look or feel of it in my hand either. I can't put my finger on why, but I decided quite easily that I didn't feel it was for me, and that was even with the VAT back bargains that it was being offered with before Christmas.

The other thing which put me off was the proprietary hotshoe connection for the flash (very typical Sony) and that their was no actual built in flash for spur of the moment use. With my GF-1 I've got a built in flash, a reasonably compact Nissin unit which cost all of £60 that offers ttl, tilt, adjustable power and slave shooting as well as having the option of using a Sigma 530 flash that I use on my 500D, albeit without ttl.

Many thanks for that link mate, worked perfectly. It has definitely helped me decide in favour of the GF1...

Now if I can only find one!

I'm a big fan of M4/3 cameras. I now also have a 5D but all of the shots in the galleries on my website were taken with either the G1 or GF1. There are many occasions when you don't want either the weight or presence of a DSLR, and in most situations there isn't much difference at all in terms of IQ.

Having both is the best of both worlds though. :)

Some of your pictures are amazing! I have just come back from a snowboarding trip and managed to injure myself on the first day!! I was kicking myself that I didn't take my camera because it was too much hassle.

Next year I'll be taking the GF1,,

Back