40D Vs 1D Mk2 - Is it worth the diference

Name
Tom Storey
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently using a Canon 20D but im coming so close to ordering a 40D, only thing is, every time i think about it, i think a second hand 1D Mk2 would be so much better.

Now i know there are similarities between the two, things like menus, buttons etc. don't bother me. frame rates are close enough not to be an issue (Possibly, ive never used 8.5 fps in anger), build quality could be something to consider but i've used my 20d for motox, mountain biking in dust and wet weather without any problems and the 40d is meant to be weather sealed.
which, for me leaves auto focus. is it so much better on the 1d mk2? and is the 40 much better than the 20?

hopefully someone here will have or have used all of the above and be able to give a subjective view (otherwise the 50p piece on the desk will be flipped to decide)

Just look through the viewfinder on a 1 series - see the 45 focal points (compared to 9!!), feel the balance and grip in you hand and that will answer all your questions

looking through the viewfinder and seeing 45 dots isn't going to convince me, do those dots work five times better than the 9 in the 40D?

and don't mention grip and balance, if i wanted grip and balance i'd buy a nikon.

The 40 is definitely better than the 20D, has many things worthy of the upgrade, better AF, higher MP, bigger screen for chimping etc ;) i have a 20D and 1d MK3 the 1D is definitely a better camera for action stuff, has much faster AF (even if it isnt always accurate, although thats being fixed at the mo :)) is only 1.3 crop factor so things dont fill the frame quite as much as they do from a 1.6 crop body, I dont think you will go wrong with a 40D though, i have been thinking about getting one myself so my 20 can go into retirement :) lol

do those dots work five times better than the 9 in the 40D?

Some of that depends on whose hands you put it in, If you get the camera set up right and use it well, possibly.

As for poise and balance, I have to agree with Jonnyreb. I've used all sorts of cameras with all sorts of labels and nothing fits quite like a 1 series eos.

The 1d II is pretty long in the tooth now so it's far from cutting edge IQ but it's still a great blend of scalpel precision and sledgehammer build.

looking through the viewfinder and seeing 45 dots isn't going to convince me, do those dots work five times better than the 9 in the 40D?

and don't mention grip and balance, if i wanted grip and balance i'd buy a nikon.

ok - not sure where that response has come from, or what motivated it. Rest assured i don't give a monkey's whether you are convinced or not. Maybe a better solution would be for you to actually conduct some research of your own - then decide what YOU want to do with your cash.

The 40D isn't weather sealed anything like a 1 series, it's just got a bit of extra foam in a couple of places. There's no sealing around the buttons, dials, etc.

AF on the 40D is vastly improved over the 20/30D, it doesn't jump around as much as tracks across frame better thanks to the cross type sensors.

It might be worth waiting a few weeks - if the rumours are right then there might be a lot of 1DMKIIIs up for sale at a decent price...

What are you planning to user the camera for? - This should help you decide. The 1dmkii is very clearly designed to do press and sport, and for this it is one of the best on the market. It is built like a tank, and will take lots of heavy use and abuse.
The 40d is designed to be an "all round camera" so it does a bit of everything, its light easy to use, and cheaper, but will break and suffer (more) in the rain and dust.

It all depends what is important to you

Slightly off topic here, but what rumours are they PXL8??

If its the same rumours as pxl8 is thinking of, its that there may be a 1DmkIV out sooner than later to distance themselves from the AF problems of the mkIII. Most likely very little will change feature wise, but it will chnage the badge on the front.

Sorry to jump on this thread and ask slightly something different...but what sort of price difference is there between a secondhand 1d mkII and a 40d?

Interesting, older (but arguably better) technology over newer (but arguably worse) technology. Could it be a realistic expectation that the next camera to follow the 40d will close that gap between a 1ds mkII and prosumer range?

I am considering a new camera in the summer and this is something I am probably going to have to wrangle with.

In terms of image quality, the 40D definitely has the edge. I run a pair of 1DII's and my girlfriend has a 20D and a 40D. I am amazed by the high ISO performance and general crispness of the 40D. I reckon noise is around 1-1.5 stops better on the 40D. However, it is a bit less robust so if you are going to abuse it then a 1-series is a better bet.

Paul

ok - not sure where that response has come from, or what motivated it. Rest assured i don't give a monkey's whether you are convinced or not. Maybe a better solution would be for you to actually conduct some research of your own - then decide what YOU want to do with your cash.

Sorry, re-read what i wrote and i really didn't mean it to come across like that. wasn't aiming to be so sarcastic. it was late and i'd had a few.

i'm not asking you to convince me to buy a 1d, im asking if anyone with experience could highlight some of the practical differences and how they affect performance in the field. its all very well reading a spec sheet but that doesnt tell you that much does it?

i have briefly tried out both along with the nikon equivalents for comparison, but firing off a few shots in the shop isnt the most in-depth of tests hence this thread.

What are you planning to user the camera for? - This should help you decide.

The 40d is designed to be an "all round camera" so it does a bit of everything, its light easy to use, and cheaper, but will break and suffer (more) in the rain and dust.

It all depends what is important to you

thats the big dilemma, im going to be shooting mostly sports, mountain biking, moto x, fast moving close to the action stuff and thats why i think the 1d may suit more. however for the amount of use it will get, im not sure it will justify the price, and i'm not sure its going to be that practical for general walkabout and street photography.

if i go for the 1d i will have to sell the 20 at the moment, maybe i should save and have both.

If you are happy with the 20d you will be more than happy with the 40d and save about £500.

Never held a 1DXXX, would love to play with one, but dare not. Common sense would go out of the window. The 40D is a splendid thing. As people have said before it is streets ahead of the 20D (which I upgraded from)

Not sure if my post was clear or not. I truly believe the 40D offers better image quality than the 1DII. Now, it's not all about IQ but the 40D is stunning.

Not sure if my post was clear or not. I truly believe the 40D offers better image quality than the 1DII. Now, it's not all about IQ but the 40D is stunning.

and quality from the 20 is about on a par with the 1d?

to be honest i have no complaints with the quality from the 20, i often use iso 1600 this time of year

and quality from the 20 is about on a par with the 1d?

to be honest i have no complaints with the quality from the 20, i often use iso 1600 this time of year

If you're shooting RAW probably about the same (I've got the MkII and 20D). If it's JPEG's straight from the camera the 1D MkII is streets ahead in my opinion.

Here's the final justification for the 1 series ;) After a day at the motocross it never missed a beat, didn't have to continually worry about protecting it, just got on with the job at hand, this is after it's had a quick rubdown :D

IMG_2136.jpg

Here's the final justification for the 1 series ;) After a day at the motocross it never missed a beat, didn't have to continually worry about protecting it, just got on with the job at hand, this is after it's had a quick rubdown :D

IMG_2136.jpg

My 30D looked like that after the Sodbury slog :eek:

IMG_2136.jpg

Stick it through the jet was mate....it'll be fine(y)

Can't be very comfortable. Sounds like typical Canon ergonomics. :p

Ahh, MK, as a NIKON 'person' you'll appreciate being the first person to win the prize i have dedicated to "style over substance" in 2008. Such as honour

Enjoy :p:LOL::D

Jimmy_Choo_Red_Leather_Handbag_200_00.jpg

Back