450d vs Sony A200

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Was just about to get the Sony A200 (see my other thread) and had a spanner thrown in teh works. Seen a Canon 450d in my local paper , mint condition with the 18-55mm IS lens for £380

Would you say the Canon 450d is a better camera worth the extra or am i still best sticking with the SOny?

Cheers

Try them both bud.

My mate has a Sony a200 & i have the 450d.

The 450 fit nice in my hand where as the Sony felt to big.

My mate has huge hands so the Sony suited him better.

I still think that it's easier to get bits for canon cameras,.
also the pro lenses are nice on canon kit for your future collections
however, the sonys are very tasty at that level I think.
if you're getting into photography, you really can't go wrong with either.
The sony has IS built into the body of the camera.
which menu system suits you better? have you tried both at a camera shop or with a friend?

i agree with snoop69...cost aside,get the one you like the most in terms of fit,user interface,ect....(y)

:agree:

Also if you were on your way to buy a Sony A200 and this has caught your attention and made you think twice - is that not telling you that maybe you are after the Canon deep down :shrug:

i'd also like to add that if you eventually intend to go down the pro route(either as a tog,or buying the expensive pro/L lens),then canon(or nikon)may be the route for you.you are not just buying a camera,you are buying into a system.at present,canon and nikon have a huge range of accessories for their camera systems..but sony are a very much up and coming manufacturer who at present can supply pretty much anything joe average could want,plus as an alpha user,have access to a huge range of minolta accessories that work on them..at very reasonable cost from places like e-bay etc.....

Correct me if I'm wrong (not incredibly familiar with Sony gear) but the A200 doesn't have live view. The 450D does, which is a big win even if all other things are equal.

George.

Correct me if I'm wrong (not incredibly familiar with Sony gear) but the A200 doesn't have live view. The 450D does, which is a big win even if all other things are equal.

George.

correct...the A200 doesn't have live view,but perhaps it's not a requirement that the OP wants.having said that,i have the A350 as my 2nd/backup camera,which does have the live view..and it's come in handy on a few occasions like macro work and shooting from a low perspective without having to lay on a muddy lane to look through the viewfinder.it's said that sony's live view is the best on the market with it's fast AF system.i should think the OP would be able to get an A300/350 quite reasonably priced with the new A230,330 and A380 shortly being released.....

i actually had the 450D as one of my initial first camera possibilities,but it felt very small in my hands compared to my then choice of the sony A100.

Canon 450D for me. Canon over Sony. When you upgrade to a more professional camera they'll be less that you'll have to change.

you are assuming that Sony doesn't/won't have "more professional" cameras, imo that's a very big assumption.

Not to mention that more pros seem to be going Nikon atm than Canon ;)

Going to chime in for the 450D cos its better. Well I don't really know :p I have the 450D and love it. But going to echo what some people have mentioned, will be good to think about how you'd want to develop your kit, if at all. If there's one thing I learned since getting into photography, cheap bits aren't going to last for long, you'll soon be lusting after the big stuff, so you should just start with the biggest you can/want/will want. :D

also, the live view has been huge for me, as well as the lovely huge lcd screen, so fwiw i think its worth the extra dough! but of course i've never used the sony, so take my words with pinches of NaCl :)

personally i think neither. Sony a200 built like a toy , 450d rubbish kit lens (both my opinion only)

based on a few mates of mine having them

personally i think neither. Sony a200 built like a toy , 450d rubbish kit lens (both my opinion only)

based on a few mates of mine having them

Beg to differ, actually. The 450D kit lens is imo very good value, and while certainly not the best, it is not at all "rubbish"!

Back