46100 Royal Scot

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken on the 28th. It replaced Flying Scotsman. Taken on the return run from Worcester to Paddington travelling between Cheltenham and Gloucester.

30t2ni1.jpg

Now that's a very nice location John, Lovely picture, I do like royal scot, a lovely loco.

Thanks,Michael. The setting sun golden colour makes it, really.

I originally went to a could-de-sac to park up and walk along a public footpath to the railway crossing. I was about to sit in the car listening to a Man City game until nearer the time but decided to get to the locate which was just behind the houses in the road. Good job I did. People from the surrounding houses go over the crossing into the fields opposite but local kids had been playing on the crossing.Maybe chicken ? Anyway, I got to where the style was and it's been fenced off with spiked railings..the whole length of the public footpath now has railings. I then hurried back to the car and drove to the nearby road bridge. It had been a very good trackside spot too. I was told that the railings went up six months ago. Another photographer there took one shot only. He didn't leave enough room in front of the loco and said he'd bin it. I don't know why he decided to do that when his camera would take 8fps. I don't think he'll do that again. It;s amazing how many people eventually line up. The enthusiasts who know what's coming and then outnumbered by all those who stop by to ask if a special train is coming, then they wait. One poor dog had its walk curtailed..lol.

Thanks,Michael. The setting sun golden colour makes it, really.

I originally went to a could-de-sac to park up and walk along a public footpath to the railway crossing. I was about to sit in the car listening to a Man City game until nearer the time but decided to get to the locate which was just behind the houses in the road. Good job I did. People from the surrounding houses go over the crossing into the fields opposite but local kids had been playing on the crossing.Maybe chicken ? Anyway, I got to where the style was and it's been fenced off with spiked railings..the whole length of the public footpath now has railings. I then hurried back to the car and drove to the nearby road bridge. It had been a very good trackside spot too. I was told that the railings went up six months ago. Another photographer there took one shot only. He didn't leave enough room in front of the loco and said he'd bin it. I don't know why he decided to do that when his camera would take 8fps. I don't think he'll do that again. It;s amazing how many people eventually line up. The enthusiasts who know what's coming and then outnumbered by all those who stop by to ask if a special train is coming, then they wait. One poor dog had its walk curtailed..lol.
Sounds eventful :) I expected quite a few where I photographed scotsman, you have to get there early for the best stop, the bridge is really high and needing a step stool, thankfully I was able to squeeze in between a couple of heads. I have found another spot to try out, a bit more awkward especially for parking but hopefully will be worth it.

That is a nice shot John, has several nice ingredients including the smoke trail, the bridge and of course the sun ... well done. :)

Thanks Roger. Even though then pool of steam locos is not large it's still very nice to see them again and again. I juts try to get different locations.A bit more smoke and white would have been better but it's flat so it doesn't have to work. For smoke I need to go into the Stroud Valley..Sapperton way.

As I mentioned to Michael the golden light really enhanced it.Cuttings do cut down light so I'm not a great fan of them. I can actually get trackside again at this location but the field side by going along a public footpath from this bridge. I'll do a recci first though.

Sounds eventful :) I expected quite a few where I photographed scotsman, you have to get there early for the best stop, the bridge is really high and needing a step stool, thankfully I was able to squeeze in between a couple of heads. I have found another spot to try out, a bit more awkward especially for parking but hopefully will be worth it.

Michael..I always carry a three-step ladder and also a bean bag. I usually take my shots using a tripod but sometimes it's not practical. Exactly right re. getting your spot. Most times I get to a location an hour and a half..early. For popular spots like Crofton alongside the Kennet/Avon canal at the locks, I get there two hours early. I did that once in the summer..60009 came through and someone was there already sitting on his camping stool.Lol. He wanted one particular spot to get a reflection in the water. It's no hardship as it's such a lovely location and usually a few Canada geese that live there on the canal come to take a look at us. Lol.

Back