4K camcorders

Just toying with acquiring something at the more serious end without getting sily..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-FDR-AX100EB-Camcorder-Record-Videos/dp/B00HR684W6
Seems possible.
I'm a bit surprised how few options there are in this sort of class.
Also a lot of the recommended models are actually 3 or more years old.
But prices have dropped quite a bit
Thoughts?
I have just had a read up on the specs and going by them the image quality should be good. I bought a Panasonic three CCD ( 3 Chip ) Camcorder way back in the 90s, cost me nearly £700 and the IQ was pretty good. I would never spend big money for a Camcorder ever again.

Yes the Sony does look good, and probably does take very good video. Just I would not shell out that sort of money for it.

I have a panasonic camcorder HC-X900M. its before 4K came out but I will say it does produce good quality videos.and sound. So check out the Panasonic range as well

Hand held

get a good mike such as sennheiser mke400 and a Gutmann deadcat to cut out wind noise. I did also get an extn lead for the mike as well

iNBYsQc.jpg

That deadcat has the longest hairs of any small wind deflector, so i have also added some spacers to raise it away from the lens
You might also need to consider getting a video tripod with a fluid head as well I have the velbon C-400 and it is very stable

grab this one while still for sale
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velbon-D...135544?hash=item284947d278:g:36UAAOSwTO9aIeQE

oh by the way I edit videos with adobe Elements premier 14

Last edited:
I do already have a Comica Rode copy which would work, or can use standalone Zoom H1.

We had camcorders through the late 80s and 90s; the quality from the earlier ones was horrid and they seemed to often need expensive repairs.
The past 20 years I did mainly photos until recently when GoPro and similar cameras sparked my interest in video again.
Hero4 does decent 4K so quite familiar with working with the files.
Then you see the quality others are achieving with these modern cameras which have so many more features than in the past and not that much more expensive.
Our first Camcorder about 1986 was £999.
Cameras like Sony RX series do great video too now of course.

Just exploring possibilities at the moment but might be tempted in sales after Christmas!

I do already have a Comica Rode copy which would work, or can use standalone Zoom H1.

We had camcorders through the late 80s and 90s; the quality from the earlier ones was horrid and they seemed to often need expensive repairs.
The past 20 years I did mainly photos until recently when GoPro and similar cameras sparked my interest in video again.
Hero4 does decent 4K so quite familiar with working with the files.
Then you see the quality others are achieving with these modern cameras which have so many more features than in the past and not that much more expensive.
Our first Camcorder about 1986 was £999.
Cameras like Sony RX series do great video too now of course.

Just exploring possibilities at the moment but might be tempted in sales after Christmas!

My old 90s camcorder still works, but only when plugged into the mains. Oh and the LCD screen is broke, but it still works.

I would have another Camcorder, but only if the price was right.

On Amazon the camera is called AX100EB while on the Sony website it is called AX100. Does the EB denote a return item possibly?
Lovely looking camera, looks a little on the large side though.

There are some new on ebay under £1000 from possibly Hong Kong based sellers.
Definitely not biting for a while yet though.

Have you thought about a used Panasonic GH4 used for about £650. It is going to give you the same bit rate with a larger sensor and a decent budget for extra lenses batteries etc.

Have you thought about a used Panasonic GH4 used for about £650. It is going to give you the same bit rate with a larger sensor and a decent budget for extra lenses batteries etc.
A bridge camera? If so, probably better off with a DSLR.

I am edging towards maybe a Panasonic FZ2550 now.
Or maybe stay compact with a Sony RX100V
At the moment I have good stills from a Canon S100 (but rather poor video/audio) or good video from gopro and reasonable stills from phone, it's annoying feeling a need to take both cameras.
Want 4K option and stabilising at 1080p and 2.7K if possible,
And easy attachment of external mic.
Decent zoom would be good too.

I am edging towards maybe a Panasonic FZ2550 now.
Or maybe stay compact with a Sony RX100V
At the moment I have good stills from a Canon S100 (but rather poor video/audio) or good video from gopro and reasonable stills from phone, it's annoying feeling a need to take both cameras.
Want 4K option and stabilising at 1080p and 2.7K if possible,
And easy attachment of external mic.
Decent zoom would be good too.
The Panasonic FZ550 bridge camera with the 1 inch sensor? Should be reasonably good quality, although I have never been a fan of bridge cameras.

A GH4 is going going to give you better stills and video quality in a single package than the options you've mentioned. Plus you have a huge range of lens options with various adapter rings that fit the GH4.

one difference between a camcorder and the Panasonis FZ2550 is you can slip the camcorder into a trouser pocket, you can't do that with the other one. When I was in Egypt unless I was using mine that is where I kept and carried it with my hand in the pocket as well. Egypt is not the place to go waving a camera or camcorder about too much believe me, and I suspect many other countries are the same

I own the fz2000 and although it’s a little bulky, it is an exceptional 4k camera, capeable of fantastic images.
You could also consider the fz1000 as it 85% of the fz2000 but can be picked up second hand for around £300.

I own the fz2000 and although it’s a little bulky, it is an exceptional 4k camera, capeable of fantastic images.
You could also consider the fz1000 as it 85% of the fz2000 but can be picked up second hand for around £300.
The Panasonic has a 1 inch sensor and it is a bridge camera, if he goes that option would it not be worth looking at an entry level DSLR? The DSLR has a much bigger sensor, so maybe a better image quality. I don't know, just an idea.

The Panasonic has a 1 inch sensor and it is a bridge camera, if he goes that option would it not be worth looking at an entry level DSLR? The DSLR has a much bigger sensor, so maybe a better image quality. I don't know, just an idea.
For stills a dslr would be better, but not for 4k video. Most entry level dslr’s only shoot h.d. Video, and most have a record time limit, also most dslr’s crop their sensors when in video mode, which makes the sensor size debate pointless.
Also, the dslr does not have in built nd filters like the fz2000, or focus peaking, histograms etc etc.

For stills a dslr would be better, but not for 4k video. Most entry level dslr’s only shoot h.d. Video, and most have a record time limit, also most dslr’s crop their sensors when in video mode, which makes the sensor size debate pointless.
Also, the dslr does not have in built nd filters like the fz2000, or focus peaking, histograms etc etc.
Ahh, but I have often wondered that.
As I have a little compact camera with a tiny sensor that does full HD, and an old Camcorder that only records in SD. But the Camcorder video quality is much better.

Back