4k editing software

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Hi there, just purchased an olympus tough tg tracker, also have a panasonic g7 too.

Currently I have adobe elements 13 for photo and version 12 of the premiere version. So needing software that will save 4k footage and if i want to, upload straight to youtube in 4k from the software should i choose to edit it.

Premiere pro works well, but unless you have a super powerful computer, I would use a proxy work flow, or down sample to 1080.

4k is a resource hog

Have a look at blackmagics software, Davinci Resolve 14.5. It's one of the if not the best in its full fat form. The free version is still hugely beyond that of anything else out there. If it's good enough for the Pros then it'll do the job here.

On a PC I'd opt for Resolve. The latest version (14) is in public beta and looks awesome as it now has a sophisticated audio option. The public beta is free as is the current version 12.5. These do not have the bells and whistles of the full monty Studio version but will probably be more than adequate. If you want everything the the price of £239 looks a good deal. Resolve used to be 4 times this price but they've reduced prices significantly. I would say Resolve is not initially the easiest app to pick up initially, so get a good tutorial on the beast. However as it's so new it may take a while for educators to catch up. One of the best is Ripple Training . Once you've got your head around they way they've got things organised it's not that difficult. And has some nice touches

Here's the link to the resolve page at Black magic. Downloads are at the bottom

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/edit

Something to consider is that 4k is a PITA to process unless you have a beasty PC and that, from memory, the Oly TG Tracker 4k is pretty crappy and contains no more real detail than the HD footage; so, you might just be better using 1080p.

On a PC I'd opt for Resolve. The latest version (14) is in public beta and looks awesome as it now has a sophisticated audio option. The public beta is free as is the current version 12.5. These do not have the bells and whistles of the full monty Studio version but will probably be more than adequate. If you want everything the the price of £239 looks a good deal. Resolve used to be 4 times this price but they've reduced prices significantly. I would say Resolve is not initially the easiest app to pick up initially, so get a good tutorial on the beast. However as it's so new it may take a while for educators to catch up. One of the best is Ripple Training . Once you've got your head around they way they've got things organised it's not that difficult. And has some nice touches

Here's the link to the resolve page at Black magic. Downloads are at the bottom

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/edit

Search YouTube for "goats eye view" for some good tutorials on resolve. Short bite size videos that cover pretty much everything.

Last edited:
Something to consider is that 4k is a PITA to process unless you have a beasty PC and that, from memory, the Oly TG Tracker 4k is pretty crappy and contains no more real detail than the HD footage; so, you might just be better using 1080p.

Not anymore with the new version of Resolve.

Resolve will always have a free version and the studio version.

Studio version has dropped in price from £900 to £230 and includes collaboration tool, noise reduction and additional fx, but for the most part you have everything you need in the free version.

I hope you downloaded 12.5. Reports are that the public beta of 14 is still buggy and is prone to crashing.

The editor in DaVinci Resolve is a bolt on afterthought. it's OK, but not very powerful.

Avid, Final Cut, Premiere or Lightworks are all far better thought out.

I'm interested in this thread. My Panasonic TZ100 shoots in 4k, which is great when I'm on the golf course as I can then grab 8 mb images direct from the video footage.
However I only have CS6 which I'm not great with and can't see an option for 4k.
I need a basic piece of software for trimming and joining a few clips together and then be able to output at 4k and below.

You could try GoPro studio for basic stuff it's free anyway and not bad, still takes a bit of learning.
Premiere Pro is the one to go for if you are serious at editing and loads of help online for it.

Back