4k video

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

Another recommendation thread.

I'm looking to purchase a camera to record 4k video. Now budget wise, the cheaper the better as this isn't anything serious (right now anyway!).

• I'll be using it for handheld and tripod mounted recording so IBIS would beneficial.
  • I already have a Nikon D610 so if there's a Nikon option that can use the lenses I already have that would be great.
  • Some of the cameras I've been looking at include - Olympus OM_D E-M10 mkiii, Panasonic gx80, Panasonic GX8 or GX9, Sony a6300.
I've only spent a few days researching options but it's entirely new for me and I thought I'd pick some brains on here.

Thanks again in advance for your help. :).

i think nikon Z6 is your only sensible answer, but I'm not sure if that meets your budget

The cheaper the better? Don't really think a Z6 fits that bill.

Panasonic do better 4K video than most and their IBIS is much better too. A GX9 would suit your needs combined with the very decent 12-60mm kit lens

i think nikon Z6 is your only sensible answer, but I'm not sure if that meets your budget
Yes. The z6 looks perfect and I wasn't actually aware it could use my f-mount lenses. Something for down the line I think!

The cheaper the better? Don't really think a Z6 fits that bill.

Panasonic do better 4K video than most and their IBIS is much better too. A GX9 would suit your needs combined with the very decent 12-60mm kit lens
So the Panasonic Gx9 would beat out the em10 iii?

Price wise there's not too much between them.

Thanks. I do intend to use an external mic so that's a must.

Just to confuse things further. How about the d500?
Just be careful when looking at Panasonics, as although the 4K specs may be similar often the external interfaces are not, and not all models have an external microphone input which may be important if video is the main use.

Do the Gx9 and em10 iii not have a mic input?

Neither have a mic input, but the older Gx8 did, albeit a 2.5mm input so you'd require an adapter for most mics [3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter, would be no more than a few quid]

I use the G80 atm, this does have a mic input, no headphone socket though if this is important to you. I hadn't thought on the mic input sorry, as I so rarely use video. But if I did I would prefer the larger body with better grip.

Last edited:
Neither have a mic input, but the older Gx8 did, albeit a 2.5mm input so you'd require an adapter for most mics [3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter, would be no more than a few quid]

I use the G80 atm, this does have a mic input, no headphone socket though if this is important to you. I hadn't thought on the mic input sorry, as I so rarely use video. But if I did I would prefer the larger body with better grip.
The mic input would be for when the camera was mounted on a tripod so I'm not too worried about grip with the extra weight. Headphones not necessary at this point.

So between a g80 and a d500 (which I could use my current lenses on), what would the recommendation be?

The mic input would be for when the camera was mounted on a tripod so I'm not too worried about grip with the extra weight. Headphones not necessary at this point.

So between a g80 and a d500 (which I could use my current lenses on), what would the recommendation be?

I have no idea about the D500 tbh, someone else might be better able to help you there. All I know is the G80 is very easy to get on with, 4K video is great quality and you get the flip out LCD if that's useful to you? It's a lot smaller and lighter than a D500 too. But .... if you already have Nikon lenses the D500 might make more sense

I have no idea about the D500 tbh, someone else might be better able to help you there. All I know is the G80 is very easy to get on with, 4K video is great quality and you get the flip out LCD if that's useful to you? It's a lot smaller and lighter than a D500 too. But .... if you already have Nikon lenses the D500 might make more sense
I'll have a look at prices for the g80 just now. Thanks for your help.

I'll have a look at prices for the g80 just now. Thanks for your help.

Might be selling mine soon, but will be another week or two before I decide. You can get them now in good condition for about £400

Before you rush to buy 4k compatible kit because it is the latest greatest tech, take time to check if you can tell the difference between 4k & HD footage. For all we know at present 4k may go the same way as Blu-ray, remember that?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-u8mUSFss

I've got to admit, on my phone I couldn't tell the difference but when I do watch stuff on my TV I can tell instantly between 1080 and 4k.

I suppose I'd rather have the option of recording at 4k rather than think about doing a lot of work at 1080 then wishing I had it in 4k.

Why not have both options?

You also have to think about how people consume media these days, 4k is wasted as most people view videos on their mobile, tablets or occasionally on laptops. Only photographers & gamers use large monitors.

Last edited:
I've got to admit, on my phone I couldn't tell the difference but when I do watch stuff on my TV I can tell instantly between 1080 and 4k.

I suppose I'd rather have the option of recording at 4k rather than think about doing a lot of work at 1080 then wishing I had it in 4k.
Needed or not 4K gives you the option to crop in, you will still prob render/upload in 1080, it’s a lot like having more pixels to play with, what do you plan on shooting, that would be the most important thing ?

You also have to think about how people consume media these days, 4k is wasted as most people view videos on their mobile, tablets or occasionally on laptops. Only photographers & gamers use large monitors.

I can tell the difference between 4K and 1080p easily when I'm using a large monitor. 1080p is absolutely fine, I'd agree there. But 4k isn't all these cameras are about, take the Panasonic G80 - it has excellent IBIS, good enough not to require a gimbal or tripod for most video work

Well, in the end I just decided to go all out rather than mess about. Though I've taken the (perhaps foolish) route of the Sony a7iii. I was tempted by the z6 as price wise they were about the same and my f mount lenses would work on them too, but given the pros of the Sony system, I think (hope) I've made the right choice.

Bye bye Nikon stuff!

Back