5 Pence split into two (new macro rail test and set up pics)

Edit My Images
Yes
Well just got my macro rail today, just a quick test to see how its working, so far feels lovely! great fine tuning, my only fault so far is the on live view and 10x the screen wobbles a bit so need to take it slow steps at a time.

Set up was 60mm canon macro with all Kenko extension tubes, 2.5:1 overall.
No cropping

still not sure on them, I would like better quality still, am I being too picky? or any change in setting?

F.8
ISO 100
1/40

kok_1-Copy.jpg

kok-Copy.jpg

(excuse the iphone pics lol)

b24a0eef-1.jpg

b9b65b0d-1.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty incredible! You want more detail?!

Where did you get the rail from? And if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

£30 is good. I remember looking at these a while ago (not on ebay) and they were really expensive. I may have to get some extension tubes too at some point.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you get upto with the rail.

Mike

£30 is good. I remember looking at these a while ago (not on ebay) and they were really expensive. I may have to get some extension tubes too at some point.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you get upto with the rail.

Mike

yes me to! havent had much time to set up my normal pictures etc :-( got ten days off now so I get to play!! lol

Looks good to me. Well done. Good magnification.

Since you have off-camera flash, have you considered lighting it even further off to the side? This might get over the reflectiness of the metal a bit.

Could also try a nice shiny 1 or 2p coin as the bronzy reflection is a less stark colour.

Did you shoot this in RAW or JPG? If RAW, I reckon a touch of shadow protection would lighten up the darker areas without blowing the highlights.

Looks good to me. Well done. Good magnification.

Since you have off-camera flash, have you considered lighting it even further off to the side? This might get over the reflectiness of the metal a bit.

Could also try a nice shiny 1 or 2p coin as the bronzy reflection is a less stark colour.

Did you shoot this in RAW or JPG? If RAW, I reckon a touch of shadow protection would lighten up the darker areas without blowing the highlights.

yes was shot in raw, I did have a quick fiddle but not too much.

I had the light as it is as thats my 'standard' set up for my normal macro shots, as when its from the side it can some times cause a nasty shadow depending on what im shooting.

In this case though as its flat I suppose it would be ok, never thought about it too much TBH.

I was tempted to use my other external flash as a slave and see if I could come up with a more even tone, but time got the better of me :-(

They're very cool Robbo! I really want a macro lens :(

lol trade you, my lens for your time :LOL:

you will get there one day mate, but tbh at the minute with the pictures your producing I dont think you need one!

Looks good to me and a great set up (same tripod here) Would you mind telling me what the flash bracket set up consists of as I have a home made contraption that is a bit wobbly. Thanx in advance Ian

lol trade you, my lens for your time :LOL:

you will get there one day mate, but tbh at the minute with the pictures your producing I dont think you need one!

Haha... I don't have that much spare time, I just don't use it wisely ;) This afternoon was not meant to be "spare time" :LOL:

And thanks :)

Looks good to me and a great set up (same tripod here) Would you mind telling me what the flash bracket set up consists of as I have a home made contraption that is a bit wobbly. Thanx in advance Ian

yea if you look in the advertisers section, by flash in the pan, its on the first page i think, called a wedding bar, you will be able to tell which one as the flash is mounted at the side, the flash is on a ball and socket so lets you position it near enough any where you want.

check the macro rig set up and there are more pics I posted on the last page (I think ) lol

yes was shot in raw, I did have a quick fiddle but not too much.

I had the light as it is as thats my 'standard' set up for my normal macro shots, as when its from the side it can some times cause a nasty shadow depending on what im shooting.

In this case though as its flat I suppose it would be ok, never thought about it too much TBH.

I was tempted to use my other external flash as a slave and see if I could come up with a more even tone, but time got the better of me :-(

Time always seems to get in the way of a good shot. At least coins don't run away like insects do. So it'll still be there when time is available again.

There is a surprisingly large amount of texture in a coin and side lighting it can bring it out quite nicely. Have a play. I think you'll like the result.

I think you've done pretty nice job here, Robbo.
Well done :clap:

Great shots, any idea what the DOF is like with that setup??
Hmm, macro rails are another item on my shopping list along with a 5DMKII, mp-65e etc... but until I win the lottery :crying:

Great shots, any idea what the DOF is like with that setup??
Hmm, macro rails are another item on my shopping list along with a 5DMKII, mp-65e etc... but until I win the lottery :crying:

with all the Kenko tubes on? its not too bad maxed out, only thing that I would say that makes it difficult is to initially get the image in focus if its dark or the light is a bit dim, so all I do is set the lens to infinity, which will not actually be infinity, but lets you see a lot more of the item, and then focus into max ratio while adjusting camera length from object.

with the rail its ded easy, hand help takes a lil getting used to the rocking technique lol

I can post pics of the 5p with the tubes at infinity to see the difference if you want? and also the difference between max on just lens against infinity with tubes?

EDIT: my rail was only £30, not sure if you seen the post and link above?

Last edited:
with all the Kenko tubes on? its not too bad maxed out, only thing that I would say that makes it difficult is to initially get the image in focus if its dark or the light is a bit dim, so all I do is set the lens to infinity, which will not actually be infinity, but lets you see a lot more of the item, and then focus into max ratio while adjusting camera length from object.

with the rail its ded easy, hand help takes a lil getting used to the rocking technique lol

Interesting.... I may have to dig my old eBay tubes out and have a play again as I initially dismissed them for being too dark but maybe the infinity trick may help??

I can post pics of the 5p with the tubes at infinity to see the difference if you want? and also the difference between max on just lens against infinity with tubes?

EDIT: my rail was only £30, not sure if you seen the post and link above?

It's ok, I don't want to put you out - I'll have a play around tomorrow night with me tubes and my old MF macro lens. Cheers for the link BTW, the cheapest rails I'd found so far were £100 +

Carl

Back