500 f/4 + monopod?

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Not that I am getting one soon (the lens that is) but what type of monopod if any would be suitable for use with the 500 f/4?

Appreciate hearing from you(y)

I'm using a really old Manfrotto monopod I think it's a 134, and the 500mm f4 but I usually use it on a tripod with a 393 head(y)

I use Manfrotto 5 section CF jobbie - MN695. It's over spec on weight I think but hasn't broken yet! I normally use a tripod but mono can be useful when moving around...

I use Manfrotto 680B with all but especially my 400mm, bought 1 for my friend as Christmas gift. It is ace, I go nowhere without it, always attached to my bag, unless in use of course, sturdy, strong and well built, £40 I think. Good luck

Thanks for the responses folks(y)

I do a bit of sport photography from time to time - mostly schools, kids of mates.

Was thinking to get a monopod for use with my 70-200 but obviously one that will also hold a 500.

Cheers:)

I have used a Manfrotto Neotec 685B. It's definitely do-able although my preference would be for a tripod and gimbal head every time if feasible.

These are heavy lenses and you really need to develop a safe drill even for mounting them on a tripod as the risks of damage through sloppy handling are real. Mounting the 500mm on a monopod single handed can be an interesting fun game! :D

Yeah me too, although I prefer someone to hold the pod when possible. ;)

Mounting the 500mm on a monopod single handed can be an interesting fun game! :D
I put mine upside down on the ground and attach the monopod to the lens for safety!
Interesting and fun? Terrifying, more like!

I'm with grumpy. Put the biggest most expensive thing on the ground and mount everything else to it.

I also use the MN393 head - it makes long lenses much more useable on a monopod.

Back