500mm f8 mirror lens

ppp

Edit My Images
Yes
Although this gives the range i am thinking of, do they give good quality, i am dubious of it.

Mainly for motorsport, i think it might be too slow.

Am i better saving for a Bigma..

Any example pics?

Thanks

Not being Nikon literate, I can't offer alternative suggestions so just a few general points.

F/8 is going to be a little slow and therefore bring some ISO bumping noise into the equation....at least on days where the light is testing you. You don't specify which mirror lens but whatever the choice it's going to be quite short and stubby....not ideal for motorsport panning shots. Strange comment Bob?...maybe it is, but think about it this way.
It you were going to shoot (as in a gun) the moving car, would you feel more comfortable with a pistol or a rifle. My money goes on a rifle...the posture used when panning accurately lends itsself to a two handed grip well spaced for stability and not two hands very close together. Any small angular movement of the left hand will give a much bigger move at subject distance than if the hands movement was transmitted further down the lens. This normally fits well with the advisory "shutter speed equal to or greater than the focal length" as longer fl lenses are usually physically longer. The mirror lens doesn't fit the equation here and so you need even more speed.
Summarised, you would suffer with a minimum f/8 and probably need a faster shutter speed to boot.

Bob

Mirror lenses I know nothing about but when I first started shooting planes I got myself a "Bigma" and changed it out very quickly indeed so I would suggest not getting the "Bigma" for motorsport it really isn't good enough for that type of photography it is pretty useless at f6.3 in anything other than brilliant sunlight light and the autofocus is very slow to respond. This was my experience others of course may have a different view.

Rgds
Bill

Thanks guys, guess i'll have a rethink on my options and save in the meantime. Appreciate the input

I used a Sigma 80-200mm f/2.8 and either a 1.4 or a 2* TC. You get the reach, and better shutter speeds....

Back