50D -> 5D 'classic' do i do it?

Name
Adam (if you couldn't guess...)
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

So since moving back to canon my photography has come on really well, I've learned to now shoot everything manually and have really started to enjoy it again (Nikon phase was a bit of a downer!)

At present I am really tempted to move to the 5D and give full frame a go...

I shoot totally for pleasure, I make no money from it, its purely a hobby.
I'm most shooting (In order of use):
Cycle racing
Animals / landscape on Dartmoor
Point to points
and I have about 6 friends & family weddings this year!
I am also just starting to get into Macro.

While I do shoot the cycling & horse racing, I'm not shooting to make money so I tend to try and line up my shots & take nice ones, rather than hundreds so I am sure the 3fps limit won't be of huge concern.

My lenses are:

Canon 70-200 F2.8 L
Canon 50mm 1.8
Jessops macro tubes
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 OS
Samyang 8mm fisheye

So I am guessing the latter two are no-go's on a 5D.

Or do I look at something in the older 1D range?

Any advice greatly received as always!

Why do you want to move to FF? With what you shoot I'd have thought a 50D would have been a better bet...

Having previously owned the 50D and now using a couple of 5D2s I would recommend going FF and I'm sure you would not regret it. The 5D1 is still a great piece of kit. Your Sigma and Samyang would sell OK and free up some cash for another EF lens.

Ian

I just fancied giving FF a go more than anything, the more I read the more intrigued I am to give it a go myself :)

I know I will take a hit in terms of fps & AF speed but for what I do these aren't ULTRA important

I figured the sigma & samyang + a little would = a 24-105 or similar :)

I couldnt make my mind up between a new 5D MK2 or a 50D, I wanted the %D and almost bought one at Parks, except they only had the dispaly model, so the money was burning a whole in my pocket and I bought the 50D instead and ist a fine camera, I gave it to the wife, then bought a 5D Classic. Was it a good move for a "general" photographer - definitely. Much has been said/written about the IQ of the FF against the crop image, if you think the images will be "better "than the 50D then you're probably right. What they wont have is as much detail but the tonal change is so much like the film difference between 35mm and MF, so if this is important to you then go for it.
Personally I wouldnt swap my 5D back to a 50D so I think that says a lot.

Fps and AF - I only shoot single fram and so far the AF has been absolutely fine, even at night its quick, very quick (on centre point) so long as you have a fast lens. When my son borrowed a 300 2.8 I was amazed at just how fast the AF at night was, very nearly as fast as my 1DMk2 in terms of finding and locking, not sure about accuracy as I didnt press the shutter all the way but all the other shots I've taken with it seem to be accurate once locked on so no suspicion that these night time "shots" would have been different.

I cant see me changing to another camera any time soon and in fact I prefer the comparison images I've seen on websites over the later 5DMk2, more pixels but seem somehow lacking.

Matt

5D has much better sensor overall
50D has more pixels for heavier cropping
BOTH have relatively primitive AF, and very average build quality
50D is a clear winner in terms of speed, and for sports you need more frames - things change dramatically within a second.

Neither are perfect, and while you have stated it is a hobby, how certain are you that you will not look into making at least an occasional sale or shoot?
With that in mind, I do recommend looking into 1Ds mkII (best IQ), 1D mkIII (fastest and nicest to handle), or at least 1D mkIIN.

Thanks for all the input so far guys!

While I appreciate the idea of faster frames for sport, I'm generally happy with getting 1 good photo from a days shooting!

Regarding making sales, I've really no interest in this at all!

Budget wise I don't have a huge amount to play with so the 1D mkIII and 1Ds mkII are out, plus as much as I would love to own these at the end of the day it is a hobby to me!

So I am guessing the options are:

Keep the 50D and enjoy it
Give FF a go and get the 5D
Or possibly look at a 1D MkII N

1d Mk2n!!

You dont need to use the faster frame rate, and the focus is **so** much better. I very rarely miss anything with it and my technique is pretty awful. My success rate on the 5D and 5D2 I briefly owned was shockingly poor because i'd been spoiled by the N! :)

I've a 1D (mk2 not N) too and the IQ is very close to that of the 5D, its a big old body though and the menu/button system is an aquired taste :)
Having said that its a fine camera and you wouldnt be dissapointed, I love mine and I should imagine the N is even better. If I had to choose between 5D and 1D I'd never be able to do it but I prefer both to the 50D. If ever I think conditions might be dodgy I take the 1D (seaside/rain etc) because I dont want to harm the 5 (cos I love it sooo much, its a lovely camera to use, a photographers camera if you will) But I love my 1D too because its just so reliable and bullit proof, a hard choice between the two (the 1D is of course a 1.3 crop which some people say is a halfway house and good for nothing as the lens are neither wide nor give the reach of a 1.6 - that's rubbish in my vew)

Matt

I'm totally torn....

The 1diin isn't full frame but seems like a very good option.

Any more votes??!!

You wont settle until you get a FF so... get one :D

I went from a 40D to a 5D. I basically only use the 5D now - though mainly for family portraits - no sports etc. I pretty much only use an 85mm f1.8 at present.

when I bought it I was not sure if I would like it - but as you will be able to do, if you buy second hand you will be able to sell for virtually the same price as long as you don't drop it! On that basis, def worth a go IMO.

I went from 40D to 5D, and have a 1D MkIIN also. The 5 knocks the spots off the 40D in every situation apart from crop factor, the images the 5D produces just have something about them. I use the 1D MkIIN when I need a bit more reach and better autofocus (which is still very highly rated by alot of sport photographers). The IQ of the MkIIN isn't as good as the 5D, but it is better than the 40D.

Just get the 5D, you won't regret it.

I went from the 50D to the 5D & don,t regret it.:)(y)

5D ordered :)
Now to procure a 24-70!

Don't stick with just zooms.
A real area of benefit from going FF is the DOF and the associated benefit of bokeh. Do see if you can replace your 50mm with an 85mm F1.8.
Additionally, whilst the IQ from the 50mm is pretty good, the 85mm IS better and it's AF is awesome.

I'm also considering going from a 40D to a 5D. Was gonna do it this month, but I've just 'won' a 50L so that might have to wait a bit lol!

I've been tempted by the 85mm for a while but was going to keep the 50 for shorter shots... that said if I get a 24-70 and 85 would fit in nicely :-D

I would still hold onto the the 50mm its a great little lens for the price.:)

Back