50D & 70-200 F4 - I've done it!

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I already have a 40D with a few lenses, although none are spectacular (Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 & Sigma 10-20).

I'm now looking at some new kit, mainly a 50D with a 70-200 f4 L. My use is generally wildlife, some portrait work, and a little bit of motorsport. I'd love to do landscape but it just doesn't work for me.

So, has anybody actually used this combo, and can anybody suggest a decent retailer for it ? Looks like just about everybody is charging £820'ish for the body only, and about £549 for the non IS lens.

Thanks in advance for any help......

Steve

Hey Steve

The 70-200 f/4 is stella in the right conditions, I've used mine for general motor stuff and she will produce some very nice shots.

Not used it for wildlife much so not sure what I can get out of it.

For portraits it's my go to lens, could be excellent on a 50D with micro adjust, I think you could be on to a winner for the price, your Sigma 24-70 may benefit here too.

Steve

The 70-200 F4 is a great lens. I have one with my 50D when I can steal it back from my son whose stole it from me :D Light, easy to use and great sharpness.

don't overlook the IS version. Yes it is a lot more money but it is a better lens as well as having IS. Then again for your portaits you might be better served elsewhere - a better 50mm, the 85mm f1.8 or a 2.8 70-200 variant for example.

What do you feel the upgraded body will give you over the 40D?

Something you might want to consider is that 200mm is probably too short for motorsport and almost certainly too short for wildlife. Well, unless you want to spend as much time with the crop tool as you do taking the photos to start with.

Expect someone to come along and argue, but....

Something you might want to consider is that 200mm is probably too short for motorsport and almost certainly too short for wildlife. Well, unless you want to spend as much time with the crop tool as you do taking the photos to start with.

Expect someone to come along and argue, but....

Would have to agree, 200mm unless you're on the other side of the fence isn't enough for most motorsport, if you have to contend with fences then 300mm or more would be needed, I was using a 1.6x crop body, 300mm lens and 1.4x TC on the outside of Druids at Brands to focus beyond the fences.

As for wildlife, again 300 / 400mm is probably where you would start. I've got way with 300mm, but on occasions had to use my 1.4x TC.

is the 50d to replace the 40, or to go along side?

The 40D will be my back up (when the wife hasn't got her hands on it) and I'll move the grip over to the 50D too.

As for wildlife, I intend to set the 70-200 & 50D up remotely in the garden for birds, so I won't need the reach (and I have the option of a 100-400 when I need it).

Steve

I have the 70-200mm f4, great lens, only just got it, and its really sharp. What type of mototrsport you looking at? I do alot of rallying and 200mm is more than long enough 90% of the time, I use any focal length from 17mm to 200mm when shooting, never over 200mm though, I just move closer!!

Motorsport will be quite close, such as the inside of Druids at Brands. I also have the 70-300 which has always been OK before.

I'd really like to know how the ISO performance compares to the 40D, as there's still a nagging doubt about going for the 5D2 whose noise handling seems to be excellent.

Steve

Well, inside of Druids is about as close as you get pretty much anywhere for circuit racing (well, public side of the fence), its all longer from there on out...

I picked up both the 50D and the 70-200 f4 L this afternoon after being given a good deal at Jessops in Charring Cross. Hopefully I'll post some shots this weekend.

Steve

50D would be better for general ranged stuff over a 5Dii, otherwise your glass might fall short
50D and L glass looks really nice from what I've seen

Back