50D And High ISO

Hi CT as you know i have the 40d and shoot mostly birds so do you really think i would benifit from changing to a 50d or maybe wait and see what the next crop camera would be
LOL. I wish I knew what was round the corner in the way of new cameras from Canon Kaz. The 50D is only just out, following on very quickly from a still pretty new 40D, so I can't imagine anything big being in the offing just yet, but of course we never really know. :shrug:

Knowing what you primarily take shots of I'd have to say yes - you'll see a benefit from the 50% more pixels the 50D has over the 40D, giving you more effective reach and definition for your bird shots.

Having said that you'll see a difference using that 300mm 2.8L on the 40D when you get to use it, and I don't think your hubby has forgiven me for that yet! :LOL:

Maybe just a rumour but I thought I heard something about a 60d in october.

Janice now stoppit - I'll come round and smack your legs till they're all red! :D

well CT the time as come shall be testing out my new 300f2.8 on the weekend so we shall see. hope they am good pics or the hubby will kill me how much it as cost him shall prob keep the 40d for a while anyway and like you said hopefully see a difference with this lens

well CT the time as come shall be testing out my new 300f2.8 on the weekend so we shall see. hope they am good pics or the hubby will kill me how much it as cost him shall prob keep the 40d for a while anyway and like you said hopefully see a difference with this lens

Well if I were you my priority would be to get both converters for that 300 2.8 if you haven't got 'em. ;)

This was shot at the top (expanded) ISO of 6400 and produces a surprising good result.

Not exactly relevant, I know, and just a touch pedantic, but the max (expanded) ISO on the 50D is 12800, or have I misread something?

Not exactly relevant, I know, and just a touch pedantic, but the max (expanded) ISO on the 50D is 12800, or have I misread something?

Duh! You're right of course and it is relevant. I think it might be a bridge too far tbh, but I'll give it a go for the sake of completeness. (y)

12800 ISO then...

Full frame shot uncropped. - no noise reduction.

3275765995_bb55edb39e_o.jpg

Better than I expected, but I think it would have to be a real emergency before I considered it. To be fair, this is a light image with no dark tones which would look worse too

CT, i still think the image is pretty damn good considering its 12800! I think it would be better with some PP, so its not like its a lost case shooting at ISO 12800.

Thanks for this though (y) and a turn around of 2hrs 24mins isnt bad. Do you just have these animals around you all the time :LOL:

CT, i still think the image is pretty damn good considering its 12800! I think it would be better with some PP, so its not like its a lost case shooting at ISO 12800.

Thanks for this though (y) and a turn around of 2hrs 24mins isnt bad. Do you just have these animals around you all the time :LOL:

LOL the turn around time could probably have been 5 minutes if I'd done it straight away. We do feed every morning though come hail or shine and break the ice on the water when it's really cold, and have been doing for over 3 years which helps. Nothing special knocking about today though so can't really be arsed. :shrug:

A bit of quick PP then MJ, just for you.

3276636004_c743342a34_o.jpg

If an Osprey lands in the garden I might use it then. :D

Back