50D misaligned?

Name
call me anyhting u want
Edit My Images
Yes
The image below says it all... I was told by the seller that they can't see anything wrong with the camera. Does this mean all cameras are like this? I never had this problem with my 40D. If this is the case, then I can't trust the viewfinder to focus on something?

Forgot to say the camera was on a tripod and remote shutter was used.

Even when focusing with viewfinder, lock on subject, then switching to liveview, the center focus point is moved to the right - not where I focused in the viewfinder.

please click image to see the original unedited jpeg.

Get in touch with Canon and check it out

Canon (UK) RCC
Unit 130 Centennial Park
Centennial Avenue
Elstree Hill South
Borehamwood
Elstree
Hertfordshire
WD6 3SE

Playing Devils Advocate... Could it be the software...

The only test i can think of would be to use string or wire and make a diagonal cross which meets with all 4 corners of the image... and then take the shot focussing on the centre and see of everything is aligned... not sure how scientific this would be in the real world though?

Playing Devils Advocate... Could it be the software...

The only test i can think of would be to use string or wire and make a diagonal cross which meets with all 4 corners of the image... and then take the shot focussing on the centre and see of everything is aligned... not sure how scientific this would be in the real world though?

Its not the software as the image preview "in camera" with focus point shown is the same as when viewed on the computer.

I am definitely sure that I focused where the blue box is, because I aligned the left side of the box to the left side of the battery.

Get in touch with Canon and check it out

The camera is only a few days old so I don't want to send it for repair. Its either replace or refund.

The actual focus points are bigger than the red squares anyway, so both the red and blue squares are probably right. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Have you tried the same shot with a different lens to rule out any shifting of the elements?

Also, are those batteries parallel to the focal plane of the camera?, they don't quite look it so it could even be a very slight back focus issue .....maybe?

Its not the software as the image preview "in camera" with focus point shown is the same as when viewed on the computer.

I am definitely sure that I focused where the blue box is, because I aligned the left side of the box to the left side of the battery.

The camera is only a few days old so I don't want to send it for repair. Its either replace or refund.

If you are absolutely sure you focused with the edge of the selected focus square aligned on the left side of the battery it would seem there's a good chance the SI plate in your camera is not quite where it should be. I can't come up with any other explanation.

Have you tried the same shot with a different lens to rule out any shifting of the elements?

Also, are those batteries parallel to the focal plane of the camera?, they don't quite look it so it could even be a very slight back focus issue .....maybe?

1. I tried all 3 of my canon lenses with the same result. 2.They are deliberately 45 degrees from the focal plane to test for back/front focusing. Yes it looks like its back focused but I'm not really worried as I can micro adjust. My problem is the focus square shift.

If you are absolutely sure you focused with the edge of the selected focus square aligned on the left side of the battery it would seem there's a good chance the SI plate in your camera is not quite where it should be. I can't come up with any other explanation.

That's what I was thinking, at first I thought it was the focusing plate, but found out that the focus points are not on the plate itself but on the roof (don't know what its called).

I tried all 3 of my canon lenses. They are deliberately 45 degrees from the focal plane to test for back/front focusing. Yes it looks like its back focused but I'm not really worried as I can micro adjust. My problem is the focus square shift.

That's what I was thinking, at first I thought it was the focusing plate, but found out that the focus points are not on the plate itself but on the roof (don't know what its called).

That's the SI (Super Impose) plate I'm talking about. It's not really a user removeable part although it is relatively easy to take out. With a camera as new as your 50D though I wouldn't even think about removing the plate - if you can send it back I'd do just that, either that or send it to Canon under the warranty.

Jacobs still insists that my camera is not faulty but they admitted that the middle square box (center focus point) moves a bit to the right when switching to liveview mode.

I was told they are expecting stock this coming weekend and they will check the other cameras first to see that the "problem" I have with my 50D is not a "characteristic" .

I went to my local PC World yesterday and tested their 50D, well it didn't have the problem I had with my 50D.

SO my gut feeling is my 50D is really faulty.

Can I please ask 50D owners to please just check their camera and see if this problem I have is just a "characteristic" of the camera and not a problem if you have time...

cheers

I've just check my 50D and it seems fine - both in DPP placement of the focus point and liveview alignment.

Not quite sure what the test is but I tried this.

Center focus point on an object whilst mounted to a tripod, then switch to liveview? centre box show is huge compared by the focus point stays in the middle of the large liveview box.

Not quite sure what the test is but I tried this.

Center focus point on an object whilst mounted to a tripod, then switch to liveview? centre box show is huge compared by the focus point stays in the middle of the large liveview box.

I think you are in face detection mode that's why you see a large square.
You can make the change in the Liveview settings, its the other mode instead of face detection, sorry I don't have the camera with me.

Im happy to report, they have sent me a new 50D. Jacobs said the other 50D's dont have the problem I have encountered, hence a replacement that's on its way!

I had a similar situation once with a guy who was continually finding his images not framed as he'd composed them... well off to one side in fact. I checked the camera over for him but coudn't duplicate the problem.

When I had a look at him using the camera it transpired he put his left eye to the viewfinder which put his right thumb between the camera body and his nose causing the tilt backwards on one side. Once he was aware of the issue the problem ceased. :D

I had a similar situation once with a guy who was continually finding his images not framed as he'd composed them... well off to one side in fact. I checked the camera over for him but coudn't duplicate the problem.

When I had a look at him using the camera it transpired he put his left eye to the viewfinder which put his right thumb between the camera body and his nose causing the tilt backwards on one side. Once he was aware of the issue the problem ceased. :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I got a new 50D:razz:

Back