50D Owners Thread - Anything 50D related

Name
Errr Pete?
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title says the thread can be used for any 50D discussion / questions whether by current owners or those thinking of upgrading to the 50D Be good for owners to post any snippets of info about the camera or smart features they've stumbled across. Also be good to pop down some images you captured with the 50D that you are very pleased with.

I upgraded, 6 months ago, from the 400D and chuffed to bits with it.

Pete

I just got one this morning, havent had time to test it yet but a few observations compared to the Canon 40d.

1. It seems a lot better built. Reviews have stated its the same but it does not feel that way to me.
2. It seems to process and transfer images a lot faster even though its got 50% more pixels. The cards i am using are 4gig Sandisc Extreme 111.
3. The shutter sound when you "Click" just oozes quality.

Those are just initial observations, i only have the 17-85mm IS Lens and Sigma 12-24mm so far.

Tips -

Turn ALO and HTP off in the custom menues for better picture quality.

Get yourself a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 - really shines on the 50D :)

Taken with a borrowed 50D and Tamron 17-50mm
3586599812_c1082dbb6f_o.jpg

I've had my 50d for a couple of weeks and am still getting used to it. i upgraded from a gripped 400d but now don't feel the need for a grip as it sits nice in the hand, without. A vast improvement all round though ;clap:

Phottix C8 has just arrived too so I'm a very happy bunny :D

Any excuse to post a few shots as I can't get out at the moment! :puke:

3491126053_8b5103a551_o.jpg

3446797465_9ecb7299a3_o.jpg

3361086052_3f3becc7ae_o.jpg

Got two 50Ds now - it's the best thing since sliced bread - nearly as good as sex. ;)

CT - i'm sure that first one is stuffed and just 'hung' there with the wires cloned out :LOL:

Stunning shots matey (y)

I got mine in December loved it from the day i got it. It still impresses me today. I have just about paid it off now with work i have been getting.

I have never regretting this over the 40D when i upgraded from the 400D.

I got my 50D on saturday and spend most of the weekend out in the garden shooting birds. I am a very proud owner of a 50D and proud to say that I upgraded from a 40D and saw a significant difference in image quality

A hint with long lenses and TC's. I use my 100-400 with a 1.4 tc and manual focus. To get the focus really sharp, use live view and the 5X-10X zoom feature.

Downside - bigger raw images eat up disk space, but the quality is great

+1 for live view focussing, also there might be a setting to get a live histogram, had one on my mates g10 and I think on mine (may have been an alcohol fueled hallucination) it does make lovely pics - CT had unbelievable skill which may help......

+1 for live view focussing, also there might be a setting to get a live histogram, had one on my mates g10 and I think on mine (may have been an alcohol fueled hallucination) it does make lovely pics - CT had unbelievable skill which may help......

yes, just press info until it appears. Very helpful for shooting for the highlights, thus erasing noise. :)

The one thing I haven't done a lot of with the 50D is BIF shots, in fact we went out a couple of weeks ago specifically to do some BIF test shots, but on the day,the birds just weren't flying. This was the only real chance of the day - an opportune quick shot through a gap in the trees, and that goose was really motoring!!

It's a huge crop, but the shot was with all AF points enabled which is pretty impressive against that background. To add insult to injury it's one of Jan's. :D

3592909709_5e1f1bf6e6_o.jpg

50D and 300mm 2.8L with 2X TC (600mm) 800 ISO.

Downside - bigger raw images eat up disk space, but the quality is great

That's what i agree with.

With an average file size coming in at about 22Mb, then there is a bit of a problem with CF cards and HD space. Went from taking 390 photos with my 400d, down to 170 on the 50d. that's a heck of a lot less! Need to buy myself a few more CF cards !

With an average file size coming in at about 22Mb, then there is a bit of a problem with CF cards and HD space. Went from taking 390 photos with my 400d, down to 170 on the 50d. that's a heck of a lot less! Need to buy myself a few more CF cards !

Not to mention Lightroom strains a little on my system, I had to move the catalogue to my system drives as they're on Western Digital Raptors so I need that extra boost of speed for when it loads the previews!

I bought some Sandisk Extreme III 16Gb cards for £60 from Play.Com. Around 800 shots capacity, which is handy for sport.

Not to mention Lightroom strains a little on my system, I had to move the catalogue to my system drives as they're on Western Digital Raptors so I need that extra boost of speed for when it loads the previews!

Lightroom 2 strained my computer anyway and the 50D files didn't help so I upgraded to a dual quad core system. Had to add a couple of 1Tb drives, moved my older catalogues/finished Jpgs to these and left my 300Gb 15K RPM Scsi drives for the Raw images.

Moon shot from a couple of nights ago, trying out live view and 10x zoom manual focus. Really interesting to see how quick the moon moves across the sky on the screen.

approx 40% crop and turned 90 degrees
Moon14.jpg

Moon shot from a couple of nights ago, trying out live view and 10x zoom manual focus.

Cracking shot Byker! What lens were you using?

Pete

100-400mm fixed at 400mm with a 1.4x TC taking it to F8, hence the manual focus

Lightroom says ISO 100, 560mm, f8, 1/50th sec, then cropped.

The original looks like:

Moon15.jpg

All I've done is crop and rotate

I wanted to try this manual focussing using live view and zoom as a possibility for birding. Seems to work OK so I may get a 2x TC and try that.

Last edited:
After using my 50D for a few months i must say i am over the moon.:)(y)
_MG_0260-1.jpg

not enough to upgrade from the 40D for me. would spend the money on a lens upgrade or need a few flash soon....oh well
but those L glass photos from CT look awesome
played with the 50D of a friend of mine. Seemed much the same but the screen on the back was clearly twice as good in clarity

I've got a 30D and reading your posts is tempting me to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I upgraded from a 30D to a 50D a month ago - havent looked back since - superb !

Iv just upgraded from the 400D to 50D too. Couldn't possibly be happier. Well maybe if I could pull out some shots like the ones above. :clap:

I just got myself a 50d and it arrived today :) Not had a chance to play properly yet but so far so good. Much better than my 400D.

Few months i may consider upgrading my lenses to meet the quality, but right now i'm very very happy :D

Some cracking shots there, especially Christine and Cedders :).

Sorry to gatecrash the thread as I don't have a 50D, just admiring the wildlife shots....

Awesome stuff ;)

hi guys,

I had a loaner 50D from Canon and put a few words here -

http://petetileytitanimages.blogspot.com/2009/06/bob-weave-and-painting-with-light.html

I think it is a great camera and quite amazing to think a camera priced at £800.00 approx. now out performs my £3000.00 Canon Mark II N's by some degree. Will add more to this thread, but off to bed now. Just got to love that Canon render via CMOS and Canon glass - just lovely.

Pete.

hi guys,

I had a loaner 50D from Canon and put a few words here -

http://petetileytitanimages.blogspot.com/2009/06/bob-weave-and-painting-with-light.html

I think it is a great camera and quite amazing to think a camera priced at £800.00 approx. now out performs my £3000.00 Canon Mark II N's by some degree. Will add more to this thread, but off to bed now. Just got to love that Canon render via CMOS and Canon glass - just lovely.

Pete.

Pete - you're making me giddy - have you switched back to Canon again now? :D

Some great 50D shots on your site there mate, I look forward to your views on the camera.

not enough to upgrade from the 40D for me. would spend the money on a lens upgrade or need a few flash soon....oh well
but those L glass photos from CT look awesome
played with the 50D of a friend of mine. Seemed much the same but the screen on the back was clearly twice as good in clarity

I upgraded from the 40D to 50D, but then I did have vouchers to spend after my 40D couldn't be fixed under warranty and I have good glass anyway, so for me it was a £230 upgrade. For that I get much lower noise at higher ISO, higher resolution so can crop more

These are a few of the first outings with my 50D - The summer 09 ! All taken with 50D and 70-200 f2.8 is lens.

IMG_0158.jpg

Royal Armouries Leeds taken with 50D and 24-105 lens on - and no flash thanks to high ISO !

tp7.jpg

BSB Donington May 09 - first attempt at sports stuff !

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Last edited:
It's a lovely camera, and it's getting better the more I learn about it :)

Canon50D8790.jpg

Royal Armouries Leeds taken with 50D and 24-105 lens on - and no flash thanks to high ISO !

Been meaning to go here for some time Simon, so, they are comfortable with "pro" looking cameras?

Pete

Last edited:

I have to entirely agree with this. This thing really does eat up the space on my cards and HDD. Good news is though, massive hard drives cost very little these days.

Yes they have no problems with "pro cameras" at all, only thing you cant do is use flash, which makes the 50D the perfect choice !
I used the 24-105 most of the time, only switching to the 70-200 zoom for some outside stuff. Plenty of subject material to go at too !

Back