50D Owners Thread - Anything 50D related

Has anyone used Magic lantern on their 50D yet ? The main feature that interests me is the intervalometer.
What i want to know is this: if i download it to a CF card and then insert the CF card how do i install it and will it only work with that CF card, is it something i can swap and change to and from, if not, is their any disadvantages with using it all the time,
Many thanks for any help
Atb
Cliff

Having just bought a 50D, any setting i should set as default in the menu before using? Any i should turn off?

Well, got to say, just love my 50D!!! Boy is it so different to the xxxD range!!

What a comfortable camera to hold. Buttons etc all in the right place. Weight, just right. Image quality, well pleased with.

Well, got to say, just love my 50D!!! Boy is it so different to the xxxD range!!

What a comfortable camera to hold. Buttons etc all in the right place. Weight, just right. Image quality, well pleased with.

yeah, right. In all the different forum names youve popped up in youve never been able to make up your mind, and youve sold a couple too. Youre a time wasting, attention seeking idiot, and really not welcome here at all, you WILL get the hint one day im sure.

goodbye again anthony cole/gigabyte/koolpc/netbook1 etc etc etc etc:wave:

yeah, right. In all the different forum names youve popped up in youve never been able to make up your mind, and youve sold a couple too. Youre a time wasting, attention seeking idiot, and really not welcome here at all, you WILL get the hint one day im sure.

goodbye again anthony cole/gigabyte/koolpc/netbook1 etc etc etc etc:wave:

Hi :wave:

Mattytwatty said:

Sadly you are just making yourself look like a idiot and in front of an audience too.
Maybe you enjoy that, maybe you are a self deluded attention seeker.
Either way doing what you are doing now only serves to tighten the rope round your neck even further.

Why don't you go away and do some growing up eh!

Your post has been reported so its only a matter of time before you get another strike!
Mind the door on your way out :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
He should spend his time looking after his family instead of being a moron. He still doesn't get it.

matty said:
He should spend his time looking after his family instead of being a moron. He still doesn't get it.

I commend you though Matty, you've got the patience of a saint. (y)

also got the usual abusive emails that I usually get, vague threats etc.

apparently hes got several accounts and we'll never find him etc. funny thing is, I wasnt looking, someone else spotted him and flagged it as a potential duplicate account. I cant be bothered chasing after the idiots, they show themselves in the end so just let nature run its course.

Just got myself a Gripped 50D :) Im like a child on xmas morning!!!! :)

Had a 400D for a while...

Now to get out and shoot with this baby.

Ok so I've done some searching but I couldn't find a definitive answer ( clearly not looking in the right places ) so I though I'd ask quickly will the bg e3n grip fit my 50d? :-S

Considering buying my mates one but wanna make sure it will work on the 50d should do if it works on the 40d right?

Considering getting one just to balance the weight of my 70-200 2.8 :)

Mike.P said:
Sure you don't mean the the BG-E2N grip ? I have one of those on my 50D (also fits 40D)

Hmmm I shall check that's what I said guess I should just get my hands on it and try it lol

Thanks a lot though :D super fast response!!! :-D

BG-E2N is what i have with my 50D and its designed to work with this body.

I'm not sure where can I address this so I though I should try my luck here first. I've got a 50d with a 24-105mm and this is limited due to the cropped sensor.

I'm looking for some other lenses (maybe a swap) and I've got a canon 10-22mm in mind. I'd like to try it first so I was wondering if someone who lives in / around Kettering who can help me with that. We can do a swap over for a day or a few hours.

An advice for some other lenses would be more than welcomed.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Why not give the 100mm F\2.8 Macro IS USM a thought.

Just got a second hand one of these with less than 1000 shots registered on it! Loving it so far. Such a big step up from my 400D in terms of ergonomics/features.

I may need to purchase some larger memory cards to aid with the increase in image size!

Can someone tell me the current up to date firmware version please, mine is 1.0.6
I am trying to get magic lantern set up and their site says 1.0.9 is the latest but the link to canon is a server not found errror as it is when i try to find it on the canon site, as far as i was aware 1.0.6 is the latest, can someone help me out here please.

Many thanks
Cliff

Next question :LOL: how do I set the shutter button to half pressed in cfn as this is required for continuous trap focus in magic lantern, any help much appreciated please,
Many thanks
Cliff

Thanks Cedric but i have seen that, as you set it up for continuous trap focus there is a message at the bottom of the ML menu that says set shutter half pressed in CFN obviously the custom function menus, IIRC there are only 4 options in that particular menu so i will use trail and error later.
I got it to work in pressing the AF button mode and seems very good but don't want to stand there with my finger on the button.
The exposure fusion, HDR and intervalometer functions will be my next tests, not to worried about video but am bound to give in to temptation and try it :LOL:
Many thanks for taking the time to try and help (y)
Atb
Cliff

Hmmm.... good luck with it anyway - I don't use ML so can't really help much. Does look interesting through..

Thank you andYes, curiosity got the better of me and i updated the firmware and installed ML yesterday, i think i may be a bit of a guinea pig with the 50D on here with ML as nobody else has said anything that i have noticed but apart from what i mentioned above ther is the HD video, HDR video plus loads of other interesting things, things that someone with more knowledge would probably appreciate more :LOL:
Thanks again
Cliff

Well depending on how good that continuous trap focus is (and it looked good in the video) it could be a very useful wildlife photography tool if it focuses and fires an unattended camera. Keep us posted with your progress. (y)

Well depending on how good that continuous trap focus is (and it looked good in the video) it could be a very useful wildlife photography tool if it focuses and fires an unattended camera. Keep us posted with your progress. (y)

You manually focus at a preset point, then when something comes into focus it triggers after a set time, the default is 28m/s but i think you can change it and yes it will work on an unattended camera because it has to be prefocussed, i believe it also has motion sensing, you will notice in the trap focus video how he explains it only fires at cars on the nearside, where he has prefocussed as opposed to motion detection which would fire at anything and everything that moved. I will keep you posted as and when i can (y)
Atb
Cliff

Oh dear, I've just ordered one and no one is talking about them any more:crying:

I hope it is still considered a great camera that compares well to all the newer stuff.
I didn't want video or loads of auto stuff. I wanted live view, and as close to the 5D ( which lacks live view) as possible in terms of image quality and not too bothered about it being a crop body. I will use it mainly for product on a tripod but I want to do a bit more general photography.

I think I'm going to love it:)

Any tips most welcome.

Steve.

I loved mine and only upgraded to the 7D for the af system and fps for photographing fast-moving dogs. I still love many of the images I got from the 50D - including my avatar photo. You will love it - have fun!

Back