50D v 40D. Prices

You could try Canon outlet on eBay, there is one ending within the hour. These are marked as refurned, but tend to have nothing wrong them, just damaged boxes and come with a 1 year canon warranty. This is where I got my 400D from a few months ago, so you can get good offers there.

They are also selling a 5D with a 24-105, No I shouldn't even go there.:bang:

I didn't even know Canon had an Ebay outlet. Have you got a link?
A 5D would be nice and the 24-105 especially. I;ll go with the 40 for now and see what Canon has got on the market in a couple of years, maybe an 8D

Laskys have the 40D as a kit with the 17-85 for £789, minus the £60 cash back from Canon, which makes it an absolute steal compared to the overpriced 50D.

http://www.laskys.com/cameras_and_camcorders/cameras/digital_slr_cameras/canon_eos40d_17_85.html?refid=affil&referred_site=aw&_$ja=tsid:6094

I bought my first DSLR - a 30D with 17-85 lens - as a kit for £1066 in June 2006. That was the best price availlable in the UK back then. I was happy with that lens for a full year before deciding to go a bit mad and add a further four lenses to my collection in the space of a week, two of which were "L"s. Three months after buying the new lenses I bought my 40D. To get a 40D and the 17-85 lens for over £300 less than my 30D and lens, brand new today, is a pretty damn good deal.

Check out http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat1.html as a good place to start tracking down good prices, for bodies and lenses. I normally get my lenses from Hong Kong eBay dealers with the "No VAT" guarantees, but these days there is often little in it between their prices and the best in the UK, although that seems to vary with excahnge rates. A week or two back Hong Kong had almost no advantage, but that seems to be changing in the last week or so.

Cheers, I've already got the 17-85 IS,although its a decent lens I've found the lens creep to be getting worse which is very frustrating.
I'm starting my research into prices as I'm in no rush.

Ian.

Cheers, I've already got the 17-85 IS,although its a decent lens I've found the lens creep to be getting worse which is very frustrating.

Ian.
I can't say I've ever noticed creep with mine, and if it did creep, I don't see how I would be troubled by it. It's not like it's a big lens. I don't use mine any more, since getting the 17-55, but I frequently have the 70-200 f/2.8 IS or 100-400 hanging round my neck or off my shoulder and, while they are both considerably larger and heavier than the 17-85, I am not in the least bothered by their size. Apart from the fact that perhaps it *shouldn't* creep, what harm/bother does it cause, just because it does creep?

I've given in to temptation and placed my order for a 50D and Sandisk Extreme III 8GB bundle for £832 including VAT and delivery from www.digitalrev.com. That price includes the 5% discount for paying with PayPal.

The card on its own would cost £37 from www.play.com so I'm effectively getting the camera body for £795 with all duties paid.

I already have a 30D and 40D and the 50D will be an upgrade/replacement for my 30D. I already have six Canon lenses (including a couple of "L"s) and three of those were bought from Digital Rev's eBay store. I've read enough positive things about the 50D (especially the AF performance) that I am happy to pay £795 to replace my 30D. That's a far better price than the outlandish figures that some UK retailers are still hoping to get.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I wouldn't replace your body I'd spend all the money on lovely glass, you've got the 70-200 2.8is surely you'd prefer some more L glass goodness to a fancy new body!

Back