50D won't turn on

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

My 50D died whilst on holiday and am hoping for inspiration for things to try before sending it off to Canon.

Happened, after 2 weeks on holiday, 1000 ish photos in. Camera was at rest on a table, and I was flicking through photos. Turned away for a couple of mins, turned back, camera had gone to sleep as expected. I tried to look at another photo, and the thing has been dead ever since.

I've eliminated the battery (tested as working in another camera, and another known working battery didn't solve the problem)
I've remove the batteries (both clock and main), clicked the shutter release to eliminate any remaining charge then reinserted everything - no joy

Next suspects - CF or battery compartment switches, but I don't actually know how to diagnose if they are the problem (and given that I didn't move either compartment lid, doubtful.

Any more suggestions on things to try?

Try cleaning the contacts in the camera with a contact cleaner.

I gave them a bit of a wipe but no contact cleaner available until I get home, so I will have to wait until Wednesday. Cheers Kendo.

Hope it isn't, but it does sound like it's failed - I seem to remember reading previously, there is a fuse on one of the boards that can fail, but I don't think it's a user replaceable fuse...

I've tried with contact cleaner now, and it's still as dead as a dodo. I fear it's back to Canon (unless anyone has any suggestions). I have a lens that's on the blink too (17-85 that moans about dirty contacts when I press the shutter release), so maybe bight the bullet.

Anyone got any recommendations/experience with a service center, or know of one in South London I could drop the camera into to save postage?

##edit - Just found "fixation", near Vauxhall, which I can get to easily on my daily commute and is apparently an authorised Canon service center. Anyone got experience?

Last edited:
Fixation is one of the best. Search here for them and you should find plenty of recommendations.

Have you tried replacing the clock battery? You mentioned that you'd taken it out and put it back in again but you should try a new one. Also it sounds stupid but have you tried giving it a gentle tap on a wooden table? It shouldn't hurt it as its designed to take a knock and if it's a loose connection somewhere……

Good luck

Cheers for the advice guys. I doubt it's condensation, not that the camera wouldn't have been exposed to condensation a few times but not at the time when it died.

I haven't tried replacing the clock battery, but as I understand it that shouldn't prevent the camera from starting. Is that wrong? If that is a possibility I can give it a whirl before I give it to fixation.

I took the camera to fixation. The problem related to the on/off switch, so they replaced the switch and whatever circuit it was connected to and everything is now up and running. They also sorted out the lens which needed a new diaphragm. Great service, I dropped the camera off at 8am, had a quote at 2pm, and the camera was ready for collection by 5pm. I picked it up this morning.

I took the camera to fixation. The problem related to the on/off switch, so they replaced the switch and whatever circuit it was connected to and everything is now up and running. They also sorted out the lens which needed a new diaphragm. Great service, I dropped the camera off at 8am, had a quote at 2pm, and the camera was ready for collection by 5pm. I picked it up this morning.
That's good what was the cost ?
H

Excellent news :) glad it's back up and running...

Back