50hz vs 60hz

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I have one of those indoor security cameras. In the app it says 50 or 60Hz
I understand (roughly) 50 for pal, 60 ntsc. But will it make any difference what one I use watching it on a tablet?

If the camera shoots at 60Hz and the lights are driven by a 50Hz power source (or vice versa) there may be a 10Hz pulsing of the light...

Neither PAL nor NTSC determine the frame rate, you can shoot at 25 or 30 in either. Set the frame rate at 25 and you're good to go.

If the camera shoots at 60Hz and the lights are driven by a 50Hz power source (or vice versa) there may be a 10Hz pulsing of the light...
So it won’t make any difference on an iPad?

Neither PAL nor NTSC determine the frame rate, you can shoot at 25 or 30 in either. Set the frame rate at 25 and you're good to go.
No shooting of any kind. It’s this kind of security camera

1668883797693.jpeg

If indoors and using artificial light, I'd go for 50Hz.

Reactions: Sky
If the frame rate is different to the frequency driving the lighting you will get an interference pattern (technically it.should be an integral multiple) or you'll get an interference pattern in the lighting.

Even in a birdbox situation, unless the power supply is adequately smoothed it could be noticeable.

UK/Europe always go 25fps/50Hz

Reactions: Sky
As Jason and Nod have said; use 50Hz in the UK. (y)

Last edited:
If the frame rate is different to the frequency driving the lighting you will get an interference pattern (technically it.should be an integral multiple) or you'll get an interference pattern in the lighting.

Even in a birdbox situation, unless the power supply is adequately smoothed it could be noticeable.

UK/Europe always go 25fps/50Hz
50hz (50fps) has more chance with faster moving objects. 25fps probably means 1/50s, and 50hz - 1/100s. You do the maths. For a car at 30mph you already need 1/1000s to get number plate. Of course for sec application they could just use whatever speed, and skip frames to save space. It doesn't need to look smooth nor cinematic.

Back