50mm 1.4 or 1.8

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
For the price difference, Is it worth investing in the 1.4 over the 1.8 It seems like ALOT more expensive for such a small difference or does it make a huge difference? Really want one but seems alot more to pay for the 1.4.

Thanks!

if you're not sure then prob not worth it. Might be worth playing about with dif focal lengths too, 50 is standard from film cameras, on a crop sensor its more like 75 so a 35 would be equivalent to 50 on film camera.

clear as mud.

It may be best to look at the new 35mm f1.8 on a D40 as it will retain autofocus. The 50mm f1.8 will not autofocus on a D40, nor will the 50mm f1.4D. The 50mm f1.4 AF-S will though.

For the price difference, Is it worth investing in the 1.4 over the 1.8 It seems like ALOT more expensive for such a small difference or does it make a huge difference? Really want one but seems alot more to pay for the 1.4.

Thanks!

Hi in the recent photo mag I get, they have just done a piece on this and it basically if you can afford the extra money the 1.4 was the better lens and a better made lens, but if finances are restrictive, the 1.8 was a very good lens

Hope this helps (y)

Wanted to keep autofocus so going to have to end up skint or wait a long time. and get this 35mm 1.8 AF-S.

Or the 1.4 AF-S which is not going to be possible and would rather save for a new camera if i was spending that much on a lens!

Puddleduck has one AF-S 50 f/1.4 up for sale.

Check the For Sale forums and you'll see it.

It's a wonerful lens, and the price PD is asking is a real bargain.

I would get it if i had the money Shame i dont :(!

I think you've answered your own question ;)

I've had experience with the canon 1.8 and 1.4 and settled with the 1.4. I found it to be sharper, faster AF and more accurate and better built but like you know it's more expensive

Never put a camera body before a lens! Bodies never last as long, and don't hold value anywhere as good as a lens.

why dont you play around longer, seems like you're not sure what you want. get a 50mm 1.8 or borrow one if you can and give it a month or so, there's no rush

ive heard the 1.8 is better than the 1.4 i think ken rockwell said it
im not sure if its true or not
i own the 1.8 and its great

You can't fault the f /1.8 .. given the price of that thing and its versatility ... it's a no-brainer must-have in any kit!

Coupled with an extention tube and you've got a good macro; with a reversing ring, and it's a sexy exotic toy; on it's own on a cropped sensor and its good for portraits. Any which way you look at it, that lens is a must have.

I've seen comparisons made between the f/1.4 and the f/1.8 where the only benefit from the faster lens is the extra shallow DoF. Once the lenses are in the comfort zone (stopped down to f/2 or smaller rather than wide open) you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference, although some people say the f/1.8 is marginally sharper.

Given that the D40 needs the latest AF-S f/1.4 to retain AF (or the possibly better Sigma version), I would go for that since MF on a plain ground screen with a very shallow DoF isn't going to be easy! Not a cheap option though!!!

Back