50mm Lens for a D60

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the SLR game and am looking for a 50mm lens for my D60. Ideally I'd go for a good second hand one as I can't really justify the cost of a new one if it's over about £100. I'm having bother figuring out the model types though. I reckon an f1.8 is plenty for the moment so don't need a 1.4 but I would prefer an auto focus lens and think that means I need the AF-S type. I can't seem to find an AF-S other than an f1.4 which is quite expensive (relatively speaking). Do any of the lens manufacturers make an autofocus f1.8 50mm for the D60 fitment?

Also, any recommendations for where to buy them would be handy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

A new Nikon 50m f/1,8 AF-S has just been announced, but it might be a while before they hit the shops and you can guarantee it'll be well over £100. You might be better to look for a 35mm f/1.8 AF-S, it's a more useful length on a body like a D60 and can be picked up used for around £120....

I meant to ask - Is it worth trying a manual focus lens? They seem a lot easier to find and are certainly cheaper. My concern was that I might miss shots if I need to focus it first rather than just use the auto.

Manual focus takes a while to get the hang of, and its not easy with moving subjects. You could get a 50 f/1.8D and try it. If you dont like it, you'll sell it for what you paid.
As Graham says above, you might be better suited with the 35mm f/1.8 anyway.

Although many people do manually focus with the AF-D lens, the viewfinder isn't optimised for manual focusing and to be honest I'd save your pennies and put it towards a 35mm f/1.8. It is over your budget by a lot (thus the saving your pennies... and pounds) but it is a cracker of a lens, and because of crop factor it basically is the 50mm lens - an actual 50mm lens on your D60 gives a short telephoto focal length which most people find less versatile for most shooting, whereas the 35mm is very similar, if not the same, as what your eye sees.

Although many people do manually focus with the AF-D lens, the viewfinder isn't optimised for manual focusing

The D60 has a "rangefinder" feature for accurate manual focussing, it's actually nowhere near as awkward as with other Nikon dslrs, even I managed it :LOL:

The D60 has a "rangefinder" feature for accurate manual focussing, it's actually nowhere near as awkward as with other Nikon dslrs, even I managed it :LOL:

Thanks for bringing that up - I never even knew of that feature (seems like that was one of the few things that differentiated the D40 from the D60 then). However, I was talking about a proper split-image rangefinder:

body11.jpg

I'd still recommend the 35mm f/1.8 regardless, it's a more versatile and useful focal length, and although you may see it as a £180 purchase, good lenses, and especially the 35mm tend to retain their value so you are unlikely to actually lose too much if (!) you sell it on.

Manual focus takes a while to get the hang of, and its not easy with moving subjects. You could get a 50 f/1.8D and try it. If you dont like it, you'll sell it for what you paid.
As Graham says above, you might be better suited with the 35mm f/1.8 anyway.

exactly what I did with this lens. After a while you'll soon get the hang of manual focus.

Really appreciate the advice folks. I'll look into all these options. My mate had a 1.8 50mm on his Canon at a wedding over the weekend and the images were awesome. I need something like that!

Thanks for bringing that up - I never even knew of that feature (seems like that was one of the few things that differentiated the D40 from the D60 then). However, I was talking about a proper split-image rangefinder:

body11.jpg

I realised that, hence the quotes. To be honest it was a feature I din't know about until I tried one and discovered how good it was.

Really appreciate the advice folks. I'll look into all these options. My mate had a 1.8 50mm on his Canon at a wedding over the weekend and the images were awesome. I need something like that!

If 50mm is the length you're after, then it's likely to be worth waiting for the50mm AF-S 1.8 that's already been mentioned. It's scheduled for release on the 11th June so not too long to wait. I would expect it will be priced somewhere in the £150-£200 bracket. That said, it could end up being a duffer... in which case you're really only left with the manual AF-D or the Nikon or Sigma 1.4's both of which are £300+

If you decide that you'd be happy with 35mm, then the 1.8 AF-S really is a little gem. Here's a thread I started when I was looking into this. I went for the 35 by the way.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=303894

If I'm honest I dont really have a specific focal length in mind. I based my query on the 50mm as they seem very popular and my mate's 50 was ace. By the sound of it a 35mm might be a good starter. If I get on well I can always get the 50 as well or sell the 35 and buy the new 50 later on.

If I'm honest I dont really have a specific focal length in mind. I based my query on the 50mm as they seem very popular and my mate's 50 was ace. By the sound of it a 35mm might be a good starter. If I get on well I can always get the 50 as well or sell the 35 and buy the new 50 later on.

For something like your D60 with a crop sensor you may find a 50mm a bit long for a walkabout/general purpose lens, the 35mm is probably a better bet in the long run.

FWIW I bought a s/h Nikon 50mm 1.4 AFD and find it a bit plasticy compared to an older manual focus 28mm (film) Nikkor which I bought for less than £50. I'm happy to focus it manually and it spends more time on my D200 than the 50mm. Also bought a 24mm Sigma Super Wide AF f2.8 for about £30 so there are bargains to be had if you keep your eyes open.

My first prime was a £30 50mm Series E Nikon 2.8 which was surprisingly good. I guess these older lenses are suited to crop sensor cameras due to the centre of the lens being used?

Not sure whether these older lenses are compatible with D60 but no doubt someone can advise.

Pete

The older lenses wont focus on a d60 as it requires the motor in the lens as I understand it. You can still manually focus though

Back