50mm lens for portraits in low light?

Name
Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm still very much a beginner in the world of photography and I'm looking for a small piece of advice to help me along the way :D

My camera is a Canon 1000d and at present I only have one lens, the 17-55mm standard item (non-IS version).

I've got to grips with using my tripod and remote shutter release, I quite enjoy long exposure shots, but what I really want to do is take random portrait pictures by hand in low light without a flash, ie; candlelight restaurant settings, moonlit evenings sitting outside amongst friends, etc etc.

Using ISO 1600 on my camera, the only way to get a picture with my lens with very low light, makes for a very noisey picture and is pretty much just a waste of time.

So, would a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 MK2 lens ( http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/12878/show.html )be quite a good start for my collection without spending a fortune or is there something better or more suitable?

Any advice much appreciated :D

Regards

Cliff

I have a 50mm Canon lens there a great lens and everyone I have spoke to says you should have one in your kit bag very fast and Sharp buy one you will not regret it

I've got the Nikon equiv. You really do need a 50mm in your bag, would work well for what you want from a low light point of view and also blurring the background which again would suit your subject matter

You wont regret the purchase

A nifty is a must IMO even though mine fell apart after 4 months, I just popped it back together good as new.

Fantastic then, I'll buy one :D Many thanks for all your replies (y)

Defo get a prime. Remember that a 35mm prime will shoot at 55mm on your camera.

If you like the flexability of a zoom though maybe the Tamron 17-50 2.8 as an alternative?

Dean

I bought a 50mm 1.8 a few weeks ago and the improvement in image quality over the 18-55 kit lens was very noticeable. It's the only quality lens I know of for less tha £100. I wish I'd bought one ages ago.

I am now wondering about the Tamron 17-50 as well...

A couple of stops on the lens isnt going to help you here.

Think about what you are shooting and what the limits are.

To hand hold a shot annd not get blur, in a candle lit resturant, isnt going to happen for you at 1.8 or 1.4, because the shutter speed will still be too long

This is a technique issue. In stead of a tripod, hold the camera on something hard (like a table, wall, pillar) that will reduce your camera shake and give you a few stops.

Besides that, if it is that dark, you/or your camera are going to struggle to focus at 1.4

So firstly - refine the technique of shooting without a tripod, and then, if you are marginally still needing a bit more light consider a faster lens

A couple of stops on the lens isnt going to help you here.

Think about what you are shooting and what the limits are.

To hand hold a shot annd not get blur, in a candle lit resturant, isnt going to happen for you at 1.8 or 1.4, because the shutter speed will still be too long

This is a technique issue. In stead of a tripod, hold the camera on something hard (like a table, wall, pillar) that will reduce your camera shake and give you a few stops.

Besides that, if it is that dark, you/or your camera are going to struggle to focus at 1.4

So firstly - refine the technique of shooting without a tripod, and then, if you are marginally still needing a bit more light consider a faster lens

I would disagree to some degree with that. The 50mm at 1.8 will shoot decent shots, hand held, in low light conditions like restaurants etc with little problem. The iso may increase a bit but for a lens of under £100 I think the guy will be pleased with what he can produce.

OK here is my reasoning

The OP says: 1600 ISO is too noisy

So lets assume we are shooting at ISO 800

The illuminance under candlelight is about 7EV

So you need

1/60th second at f1.4, which is "just about do-able" but....

that translates to about
1/30th second at F1.8
Which TBH isnt doable hand-held (not if you want keepers)

Under Moonlight
required exposure - approx: 4 seconds at 1.8 at ISO 800

Now if we go back and look at the candle light example...

A kit lens normally offers F3.5
If you can steady the camera on a solid surface, it is reasonable to expect to get the shot at
ISO 800, F4, 1/8th sec

At F4, your chance of getting the subject in focus is higher too

I'm not saying don't get a 50mm 1.8. I own a 50mm 1.4 AFS lens - superb lens, and it is really useful... but when you get into the real lowlight environment, the extra stops don't really assist you much

Last edited:
If Option 1 is a cheap 50mm lens and Option 2 is a bumper pack of candles or a big torch, I'd vote the OP goes for Option 1. Will it answer every problem? No. But it's a very sensible step to move the OP forward on his photographic journey :)

The nifty fifty, its around £80 for the 1.8 50mm canon lens! Great piece of kit

I've got the 450D and it's good up to 800 but then a huge quality drop at its max of 1600.
I'm wondering about a 30/35mm (= 55mm) 1.4 but none of them (at least Sigma or canon) get a good write up at the 1.4 setting, which would be the main use of it.

I had a Siggy 30mm f1.4 and it was sharp at f1.4.

OK here is my reasoning

So you need

that translates to about
1/30th second at F1.8

Under Moonlight

If you can steady the camera on a solid surface, it is reasonable to expect to get the shot at
ISO 800, F4, 1/8th sec

I'm not saying don't get a 50mm 1.8. I own a 50mm 1.4 AFS lens - superb lens, and it is really useful... but when you get into the real lowlight environment, the extra stops don't really assist you much

1/60 @f1.4 is just about doable, 1/30 @f1.8 isn't but 1/8 @f4 is? I don't really see it that way. If you can find a solid surface to make 1/8 @f4 doable the same surface will get you a faster shutter speed at f1.4/1.8 and probably enable you to use a lower ISO too.

i think some of you are reading into this to much about the candle lit dinner i have never seen a resturant with just candles for light due to health and safety issues !!!!!
get the 50mm lens and enjoy.

I had a Siggy 30mm f1.4 and it was sharp at f1.4.

Whilst I adore my Siggy 30mm, it's £400-ish brand new vs. £80-ish brand new for the Canon.

Personally, for portraits, I prefer the Canon anyway, although it is backfocussing really badly now (after two years of near constant use).

Tbh I never liked to take ny 1000D over ISO400 as that I found was pushing it with noise so I wouldn't like to see your 800 and 1600 :-S

A properly exposed shot at ISO800 should be fine, and a shot taken at IS01600 should also be 'usable' with the 1000D.

This was a quick flick through the flickr group, and I can't see any problems with this at ISO800!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessetheradical/5403181936/

People shouldn't pixel peep so much! :)

but when you get into the real lowlight environment, the extra stops don't really assist you much

Totally disagree here, every stop makes huge difference in low light if you know how to use it. And it's not only about holding the camera steady, it's about seeing the ambient light and taking the most from it - e.g. spot metering off the part of the face lit by candle or window, etc.

1/50th is perfectly doable, here is an example 50/1.8 at 1.8, iso 800, 1/60s

026-2.jpg

OK here is my reasoning

So you need

that translates to about
1/30th second at F1.8

Under Moonlight

ISO 800, F4, 1/8th sec

Got to agree with Richard here.
The 50 is a great lens ,and a good addition to any bag,but it will not work magic.
Technique is the key and well explained by Richard....

Back