50mm prime jigging!

H

Hoodi

Right, bear with me here!

For the past month or so I've been using my mates 50mm F/1.4 D Nikkor - he has some nice older primes that he doesn't really use (doesn't really use any of his photographic gear anymore) - which is why he doesn't mind my extended-borrowing. It's lovely - obviously nice and fast, and the AF is ace, too.

My 50mm prime is a Sigma 50mm F/2.8 macro lens - I bought it as a cheap way into the world of macro photography, but I do extremely little, if any, macro photography - I just use it as a prime. Being a macro lens, though, the AF isn't the nippiest in the world - which makes the Nikkor F/1.4 even more appealing.

So. Here's what I'm thinking - sell the Sigma 50mm, buy a Nikkor 50mm F/1.4, and an old Micro-Nikkor 55mm F/2.8, so's I still have that macro lens which, although I rarely use, am not comfortable letting go of.

But that's all quite expensive for just jigging my 50mm prime-ness about, first of all I'll lose money on the Sigma, then the Nikkor 1.4 isn't cheap, and then even an old AI[-S] 55mm Micro-Nikkor is going to hit me for a fair bit further.

So... I'm just after other opinions. Worth it, or not?

All I can say is I wouldn't part with my 50mm 1.4 for a big clock. It really comes into it's own for available light shots. ;)

hehe, well I've spent a while looking at places to get the 50mm F/1.4 (it's cheaper than I thought!) - so I'm pretty much sold.
That and the 55mm AI Micro Nikkors are cheaper than I thought, so all in all I can replace the Sigma 50mm F/2.8 with a Nikkor 50mm F/1.4 AFD & an AI Micro Nikkor 55mm F/2.8 for minimal outlay!
Win!

The Canon 50mm 1.4 is fantastic... razor edge DOF and wonderful bokeh. I've no doubt the Nikon version is a similar animal. :)

Indeed - I just can't say no to shots like this!

dsc2176ta4.jpg

That's nice... typical of the effect. I plan to put my 50mm to a lot more use over the next couple of weeks than I have done.

I've just been using my 50mm 1.4 in very low light where it has produced some pretty good pictures in no more than xmas type fairy light illumination :)

It is always in my bag now as a second lens.

Had a play with my 50 f1.4 yesterday.
Have loads of pics to sort through but I liked this one because she was genuinely laughing ... It was just natural light & I havent done a single thing to it except sharpen her eyes a tad (probably could stand more sharpen) after resizing for the forum.

Im more than happy with my 50mm :)

Picture-269363-web.jpg

Back