50mph on this?

Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_1519pennyfarthingtethered.jpg

Yes the guy was timed on a hill near Hutton le Hole at 49.5mph (nearly 50)
The technique is apparently to put your legs over the handlebars so any sudden stops catapult you feet first rather than following the curve of the big wheel until you stop on the tarmac
Apparently you can lean forward so that you get the rear wheel off the ground to reduce the rolling resistance

Always said that old guys with grey beards were lunatics!
Hang on! That describes me!!!

Well, I abseiled and climbed rocks until I was 60, but I wouldnt fancy that!

Forgot to add, I like pics that fill the frame!

Shame it was a 'static' display,the blue posts etc are a little distracting from an otherwise well taken shot

Wondering what the decimal equivalent would be :thinking: :D

Shame it was a 'static' display,the blue posts etc are a little distracting from an otherwise well taken shot

If you mean Km/hr it would be about 80Km/hr

He did actually ride it but the quick shots I took were from a position were only good luck would have got a decent shot and I didn't have any

Didn't fancy cloning out behind those spokes but I thought the story warranted an airing with the picture to help
Decimal or imperial I bet it hurts in a crash

That really is bonkers though the gyroscopic forces on the wheel will hold it upright, superb picture.. Nice a frame filling.. I thought it was bonkers reaching 54mph on a mountain bike, lorry was on a blind bend half way down on my side of the road as it was over taking cyclists that were going up... Could see the whites of the drivers eyes

..... Briefly

Has he got a wing mirror on his glasses?

It looked like a small magnifying glass (it intrigued me but you dont like asking)

I like the pic but the guy in it must be absolutely bonkers!
Almost 50 mph on that thing? Mad...

I like the pic but the guy in it must be absolutely bonkers!
Almost 50 mph on that thing? Mad...

talking to him he is one of life's wonderful eccentrics I just wish there were more eccentrics than the miserable gits I come across

Oh I wouldn't doubt that he's a nice guy. And we certainly need our share of eccentrics in this world. It makes us what we are. But I do suspect he must have had his nerves surgically removed or something :)

cheers

Back