52322 - Santa Special

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
The other steam engine working this weekend on the ELR

52322 was built at Horwich in December 1895 and entered service the following year as L&YR number 1300 (later LMS 12322 and BR 52322).

Passing through Stubbins

52322-santa-special-6061.jpg

And at Ramsbottom station

52322-santa-special-6037.jpg

Nicely done!

I had a drive down Stubbins Lane yesterday looking for a shot location but couldn;t find anywhere. Any clues?

Thanks Dave.

I had a drive down Stubbins Lane yesterday looking for a shot location but couldn;t find anywhere. Any clues?

If you drive down Stubbins Lane with the big factory to your left, turn left onto Stubbins Street at the lights where the road goes under the railway bridge, then turn right after the row of houses on your right into Stubbins Vale Rd, about 100ft down on the right you'll see the footpath (it was also the entrances to the Stubbins halt platforms) that goes under the railway line. There a bit of open land just to the right of the underpass, if you walk diagonally across this land to the top right corner you'll get to the spot where I took the first image.

There's also another spot near here at Strongstry Bridge, if you follow Stubbins Vale Rd past the factories the road turns to the right and under a railway bridge. There's a footpath just after the the bridge on the left hand side, you'll get to a point where the path is overgrown and the fence is down on your left where the tracks are.

Nice images, latter looks to be Ramsbottom? I haven't been to the Lancs for some time, since Feb 2018 when I did a photo charter with this engine on a damp, dismal, snow-lingering day. Freezing, soaking but worth it.

The other steam engine working this weekend on the ELR

52322 was built at Horwich in December 1895 and entered service the following year as L&YR number 1300 (later LMS 12322 and BR 52322).

Passing through Stubbins

52322-santa-special-6061.jpg

And at Ramsbottom station

52322-santa-special-6037.jpg

For me the first one is the best as the crew being visible adds a human touch.

Thanks Dave.

If you drive down Stubbins Lane with the big factory to your left, turn left onto Stubbins Street at the lights where the road goes under the railway bridge, then turn right after the row of houses on your right into Stubbins Vale Rd, about 100ft down on the right you'll see the footpath (it was also the entrances to the Stubbins halt platforms) that goes under the railway line. There a bit of open land just to the right of the underpass, if you walk diagonally across this land to the top right corner you'll get to the spot where I took the first image.

There's also another spot near here at Strongstry Bridge, if you follow Stubbins Vale Rd past the factories the road turns to the right and under a railway bridge. There's a footpath just after the the bridge on the left hand side, you'll get to a point where the path is overgrown and the fence is down on your left where the tracks are.

Thanks - there's a bloke in orange hi-vis at the first spot on Google street view? Is that you? :D

Thanks - there's a bloke in orange hi-vis at the first spot on Google street view? Is that you?

No, but there is a footpath there that runs all the way down to Strongstry Bidge, alas it doesn't offer any good spots and when I went today it was fenced off and a container blocking access due to falling trees. The area is a lot more overgrown now, the Streetview Image was taken in 2009.

Nice images, latter looks to be Ramsbottom? I haven't been to the Lancs for some time, since Feb 2018 when I did a photo charter with this engine on a damp, dismal, snow-lingering day. Freezing, soaking but worth it.

Thanks Chris, it is indeed Ramsbottom.

For me the first one is the best as the crew being visible adds a human touch.

Thanks Chris

Back