55-250 STM v 70-200L

Edit My Images
Yes
55-250 STM v 70-200L , is there a lot of difference in image quality / speed / overall sharpness

I know just because its L range does not necessarily mean its miles better than other lenses ,

I wasn't out looking for an L , I was actually looking for a 2.8 lens ,

but I saw a fair priced 70-200L , is it a Lens where i'll see a big jump from the 55-250 ?

I'm debating investing in the L , and getting a 2.8 prime to go alongside , but I'm not going to sell the 55-250 , if its not a big jump up , as I know the 55-250 is a corking lens for the price range

I had a 550d and a 55-250 great combo. Until I got my 70-200f4is this traveled the world with me. I have upgraded to a 7d2 but still have my 70-200f4 it's only one stop different from the 2.8 but a lot lighter. IMHO yes far better quality plus constant f4

I guess your talking about the 70-200L non IS? If its this lens I would say its not a massive jump forward from the 55-250 STM,

But the 70-200L IS, is a worthy upgrade imo.

Cant you try one out 1st?

I assume you mean the f/4 version? If you buy that we can all await the "still can't get the indoor horse shots I want" thread as it's only 1 stop faster at the long end. You need f/2.8.

Don't forget, L lenses aren't just about IQ but general build and robustness too.

I assume you mean the f/4 version? If you buy that we can all await the "still can't get the indoor horse shots I want" thread as it's only 1 stop faster at the long end. You need f/2.8.

Don't forget, L lenses aren't just about IQ but general build and robustness too.

If you read my full post , I put that I was looking for a 2.8 prime to go alongside it .

I don't expect any f/4 lens to do well indoors in poor light , I just wanted to know as a general zoom lens for outdoor use , would it be better than the 55-250.

I did read your post but a prime isn't really the answer for what you want to do.

Given you are budget limited it seems odd that you would contemplate replacing your 55-250 with something that is only marginally more useful and supplement that with something else that won't do what you want, seems like an inordinate waste of money to me. You say many times that you don't like noise so what you need is something fast as possible and versatile which, as is said in the other thread, is the Sigma 70-200 unless you have bags of cash spare.

Back