580ex being very wierd

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
As I mentioned over in another thread, my 580 went a bit mental this morning. Basically all the buttons and controls stopped working everytime I attached a hotshoe adapter (so I could connect to pocket wizard)

It was behaving like there was a loose connection and triggering itself occasionally too. I gave up on it and figured I'd by a new lead to start eliminating variables. However, plugged it all back together again this evening and all is good!

Has anyone seen/heard of wierd 580ex behaviour like this? Could it be a symptom of something else?

Thanks

L

As I mentioned over in another thread, my 580 went a bit mental this morning. Basically all the buttons and controls stopped working everytime I attached a hotshoe adapter (so I could connect to pocket wizard)

It was behaving like there was a loose connection and triggering itself occasionally too. I gave up on it and figured I'd by a new lead to start eliminating variables. However, plugged it all back together again this evening and all is good!

Has anyone seen/heard of wierd 580ex behaviour like this? Could it be a symptom of something else?

Thanks

L

It'll be gremlins, did you feed them after midnight :bonk:

Flash: yep, it worked fine for the rest of the day when attached to a body. It was the pocket wizard either as the problem started before I even connected the other end of the lead to anything.

I reckon cowasaki's right. Although if it does it again I won't be impressed.

Can't remember of the top of my head, will check later. I did wonder if maybe the contact area was too big and had "shorted"/cross connected something it shouldn't have. But that would assume I could recreate the problem. Which I (typically) can't do.

I've had something similar happen when the mode switch near the shoe wasn't set properly.
Make sure its in the off/master/slave position.

Back