5D for £490..... too good to be true?

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
In the ad the seller said that they bought it for businmess use but now no longer need it. It is 6 months old and bought from a UK store with receipt and warranty. It seems legit but is the payment method below safe? I cant figure out why he is so keen to pay for shipping etc?

My gut feel is that something dodgy is going on but would hate to miss out on a rippa of a deal if it is legit.

Any thoughts?

Here is his reply to my enquiry

Hello,

The Canon EOS 5D Digital Camera is still available. The price I would like to obtain for it is £490. The camera is in excellent condition and full working order, comes in original box, with all accessories and is still under warranty.
Right now I'm located in Manchester. If you are interested to buy it now, I will do this transaction only trough eBay in order to have a safe transaction for both of us. To start the transaction please reply me with your full shipping name, address and your eBay ID.
As soon as I have them I will start the official procedure, and eBay will notify you about this. eBay will send you an invoice with all the info you will need to complete the transaction. I will handle the shipping to your location, so this will be free of charge for you.
You will get the camera and you will have 5 days of inspection in which you can decide if you keep it or not. In case the item is not as described and you don't want to keep it, you notify eBay and you send it back on my cost! (shipping is already paid by me). If you want to keep it, you notify eBay. Payment method and all the details will be set up by eBay for security reasons. They will contact you to confirm the transaction by email.You will get the item in max. 48 hours.

I'll be waiting for your reply soon with the requested details.

Cheers

Last edited:
Its rubish mate

Who in the UK uses the word Shipping?

Yes, it's too good to be true.

Looks like a typical nigerian scam letter to me, you can always tell by the wording ;)

What worries me is that people still need to post these "too good to be true?" questions on seemingly a weekly basis....

Goodbye common sense, you'll be missed....

What worries me is that people still need to post these "too good to be true?" questions on seemingly a weekly basis....

If only we were all as wise as you p/d :) You make a good sounding board for us optimistic/gullable types.

Last edited:
I just fail to understand how someone can use the Internet, register on a forum, post etc, yet fail to spot these - that somehow in this special case all the thousands of Google hits on these sort of scams seem to somehow not apply and this is the real deal

Yep couldn't agree more, if something sounds to good to be true it generally is, of course there is the odd exception to the rule just look in the classifieds and see what i have for sale :LOL:

I just fail to understand how someone can use the Internet, register on a forum, post etc, yet fail to spot these - that somehow in this special case all the thousands of Google hits on these sort of scams seem to somehow not apply and this is the real deal

Yep - I didnt google it and havn't had much experience looking for second hand camera gear. I havn't read any of the other 'weekly' too good to be true threads either. I now know what to do in the future. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.....next time I wont be posting a question on here about it thats for sure!!

Last edited:
It can be very easy to be suckered in to a scam. Just because many people realise it's a scam, doesn't mean *everyone* does.

I consider myself a very very internet savvy person, and I myself have been duped by the appearance of some scams (Not duped financially, just not realised that some things are scams)...and I'm very wary too.

So it's not always easy to spot these things. Just because he registered on a forum and posts on the internet, does not make him a perfect scam spotter.

I'd personally rather have one of threads every day, than one of our members lose out financially.

Before posting, lets remember the TP policy and ethos of being friendly ;)

You need to visit some of the watch fora, PD, these questions appear daily and people still fall for the scams...

LOL. Has anyone stopped to consider that this poor Nigerian guy is probably down to his last goat with a whole raft of kids to feed? :LOL:

LOL. Has anyone stopped to consider that this poor Nigerian guy is probably down to his last goat with a whole raft of kids to feed? :LOL:

No he's doing fine

fonejacker.jpg

It's always a good idea to call their bluff and ask to collect in person. I am a keen ebay buyer and seller and I always check sellers feedback first. Any feedback with low numbers usually makes me suspicious. If in doubt always contact ebay direct. If you are a long standing ebay member and have a few hundred feedback scores ebay issues you with a dedicated helpline number!

It's always a good idea to call their bluff and ask to collect in person. I am a keen ebay buyer and seller and I always check sellers feedback first. Any feedback with low numbers usually makes me suspicious. If in doubt always contact ebay direct. If you are a long standing ebay member and have a few hundred feedback scores ebay issues you with a dedicated helpline number!

Always a catch 22 though. How do you get those hundreds of feedback scores unless someone places some trust in you to begin with? :shrug:

Always a catch 22 though. How do you get those hundreds of feedback scores unless someone places some trust in you to begin with? :shrug:

Look at what they're selling and buying, quite a few have 100+ feedback by bidding/selling low value items or buying 99p items from their friends which they never pay for

Look at what they're selling and buying, quite a few have 100+ feedback by bidding/selling low value items or buying 99p items from their friends which they never pay for

Yes very true guys. I have 551 feedback's and a 100%. My usual spend on ebay is around £20 but I have bought about 4 classic cars from ebay all in excess of £500 and also sold a few cars there too. Fortunately I have never been duped on ebay and I have been a member since about 2003.

If I smell a rat I usually just move on to the next item. I consider myself an honest ebayer and I expect the same treatment from fellow ebayers too.

The Golden rule is, as has been said on many occasions,

If it looks to good to be true........ you should know the rest!.

i can see him now, sitting under a palm tree surrounded by Iphones wondering why no one will buy them!! hehe.. you never know!!

I think it's about time someone cut the internet wire to Nigeria once and for all.I have a large pair of scissors so just point me at it ;)

Back