5d iii or 6d

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys i am in the process of going to full frame, i want the picture Q/ISO and dynamic range of full frame and just wondering what you lot think, (probably been done to death)

i either want a 5d mark 3 (sell 70d)
or 6d and keep my current 70D
current lens
400 f5.6 L
70-200 f4 L
100mm L macro
24-105 f4 L
nifty fifty

i dont do a lot of wildlife so the loss of crop won't bother me i don't think (currently 400mm 5.6 on classy), and planning next year to get new 100-400 mk ii, but i do a far amount of motor sport at brands hatch (so i can get close on some points of the track) and the focus on the 6d worries me a little for that, other than that its just normal stuff street/landscape/family/dogs stuff

any one have this sort of use with both bodies ?

Last edited:
A 2 body set up is nice, the only reason I could recommend a 6D over 5D III would be budget, but that's not a factor here. I use a 6D and the focus is find, but if I was purely shooting track I would buy the 5D III in a flash.

Though if i was in you, I'd go with two bodies. You would have a very versatile kit if you run with FF and crop.

Jason, I have both a 5D3 and a 6D which I use as a second body at weddings and events. I also have the use of a 70D (which is the wife's camera really) and recently got a 7D2 for wildlife and aviation. A two body set up is very handy and covers all bases really but with the 5D3 you can crop well into the shot and still get a large enough shot for a decent size print. The focus system on the 6D is more than adequate for most situations and pairing it with the 70D you already have would be a great pair.

I live in Branston, nr Lincoln so if you're anywhere close by you could always come over for a test drive with mine.

Stuart, thanks for that info gives me options there and some thing to think about, and a generous offer to come test drive your but i live in Kent so a little far to comes but thanks for the offer

Back