5D Mark 1 or 40D ?

Edit My Images
No
I live in the UK and have been fortunate enough to get a 5D Mark 1 body from a friend. It is immaculate, low shutter clicks etc, with all original box contents. I'm delighted with it so far after taking plenty of test shots.

I shoot lots of varied photography, including kids (as we have 2 youngsters) and motorsport.

From my test shots so far, mostly with the 50mm 1.8, despite the crude AF on the lens, the 5D performs pretty well with moving subjects in fairly good light (such as my daughter running with a football etc). It also focuses rapidly in low light with this lens, or the 70-300 IS I have.

Now the dilemma. I've also got a 40D, but can't afford to keep both bodies. I could get approx £750 for my 40D & 17-85 IS.

The lenses I have are (all Canon):

50mm 1.8
17-85mm EFS
70-300mm IS

Clearly if I keep the 5D I'll need a walkaround lens - but I can't afford the 24-105 L at the moment. Was thinking about the 28-135 IS to tide me over, though I'm aware that the 5D will expose the flaws of this lens more than if it were on a crop body.

I've read on various forums that the AF on the 5D is not as good as the 40D. I'd really appreciate some advice & opinions on this, I'm going to the Formula 1 British GP next month and want to know which body will perform best - I don't want to get home, look at my shots and wish I'd used the other body. Luckily a friend is lending me a 300mm 2.8 lens for the event - so I should get some sharp shots.

I'm leaning towards keeping the 5D - but if the 40D fits my needs better then perhaps I should keep that?

I initially thought the high ISO performance of the 5D was far superior to the 40D (800, 1600, 3200) - but having done some further tests, I think they're about the same, which surprises me - and that reduces the 5D 'advantages' somewhat.

Advice much appreciated!

Dave

Personally I would be inclined towards the 40D as you say it meets your needs. Also the LCD and menu are easier to negotiate as you can see them better. But only you can make the call as I agree the 5D is a bargain:)

My thoughts would be to suggest you go with either:
1. Sell your 40D and existing lenses and buy something like a 24-105. That's a great combination, but wouldn't be my choice for motorsport. I don't see you having a problem with AF, but the reach will be nothing like sufficient at a good size track.
2. Swap the 5D and 70-300 for a 100-400L. That would be pretty good for motorsport, though as a combo, less good for things like portraits and landscapes.
Really is down to your suggested use, but based upon the OP, I'd suggest you go with option 2.

You have a very capable outfit with the 40D, and TBH for the kind of photos you want, it will probably be better, even if you do get the 24-105L for the 5D.

The 5D is full frame. That's it. It is not outstanding in any other way, but full frame has its advantages and its advocates, and right now you could sell it on for a profit. Leave it a year, and the value will inevitably diminish as new models push the gap.

If it was me, I think I'd keep it and save like mad to get a 24-105L. Close decision, but a lovely combination for what I mainly do. For you though with a strong interest in long lens stuff, it swings the other way, especially when you think what you could do with the extra cash. It would certainly fund a super-wide, or maybe trade the 70-300 too and get a 100-400L. Either way, lots of nice options :)

other thing is that the 5D obviously doesn't have even an onboard flash so really you'll be needing one of those as well.

Thanks for the help so far. I already have a 430EX flash which is Ok for now. Any comments on the AF of the 5D vs 40D?

My gut feel after more tests is to keep the 5D, I took several photos with the 5D of my daughter running around in the park at the weekend, with the 50mm 1.8, and it nailed it EVERY time. Beautiful photos.

I have a 5D Mark I and find the AF considerably quicker than any other DSLR I've used. Just be sure to change the Custom Functions to enable ISO and hidden AF point expansion! ;)

I got mine in a bargain bin as well and can highly recommend this camera. Saying that, the 40D might be a better solution as it has a crop ratio and will enable you to use longer focal lengths easier. The difference between a full frame and cropped sensor is HUGE. 50mm on a 1.6 crop is more like 80mm. It's difficult to comprehend the difference without seeing two images side by side.

Either way you swing, I'm sure you'll be happy as both cameras are very nice items :)

Back