5D markIII what do you use your custom functions for.

Name
Shayne
Edit My Images
No
I call my 5D Einstein because it is so much smarter than I am. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what this camera is capable of. I know I have a few custom functions presets on the dial but I really haven't come up with any must have saved settings. With that said, what do you guys and girls use yours for?

C1 is my quick out of the bag landscape set up, mirror lockup, single shot drive, f11 at 1/30th, a quick starting point in case I'm rushing to capture something, a rainbow for example, when I need to work quickly.

C2 is the same as C1 but with bulb for long exposures.

C3 is set up like C1 but with a 5 shot bracket, for use in HDR.

That said I'm not doing that much landscape stuff with my 5D3 so might change C3 to a quick event setting.

I've got C1 set for wildlife shots with a fast shutter speed, medium DOF and ISO to suit (can't remember the actual settings), C2 is set for slow aviation shots, so is set to f8 and a slowish SS (1/125sec) to get the prop blur and C3 is set for fast aviation shots so it's a fast SS (I think it's default is 1/1000sec, f4 and ISO to suit) but thats the sort of shots I do. I did have C3 set for macro but I've started using my 70D for macro more often than the 5D3. Anything else I'm shooting just gets done through the basic settings according to the subject.

On my 5DMKIII i have:
C2 - Video. Manual exposure, 1/50 sec shutter speed, auto ISO and f/4 (this thne covers all my lenses)
C3 - Multiple bracketing for HDR. I tend to use Silent shutter mode most of the time but C3 has this turned off.

C1, not sure. I use C2 and C3 as i can find them without looking, with C1 its been hit or miss so i only use it occasionally.

I never rarely used the custom modes on my old 60D but as the 5D is quite a bit more advanced i tend to use these modes quite a bit.

Depends on the job.

C3 is usually mirror lock up, 2 second timer for room shots.

C1 and C2 may be set for 'safe grab shot' indoor/outdoor or on stage/dancefloor, or flash/no flash. Later in an event I may change one to a slow shutter dancefloor setting.

This was one of the most annoying things with the 1 series. No easy preset custom banks.

Back