5D (Mk I) dying battery or bigger problem?

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

My 5D's battery does not last long anymore and when I charge it (after the camera dies of low battery power) it takes about 5 minutes or less to go from single blink to constantly burning charger LED.:thinking::thinking::thinking:

A mate of mine reckons it could be a faulty logic board on the camera...

Any ideas?

Much appreciated.

or a dodgy charger
can you borrow one and try?

Thanks for the quick reply Mike(y)

Yep, will have to try that. I want to get a grip for it too and will have to buy one more battery anyway so might as well get two fresh batteries then...

Can a charger also pack up then?

Hello :)

The original Canon BP511 from my 20D is still going strong but so far I have thrown away 2 of the 'compatible' type which were not as old and had much less use with similar problems to what you describe.... so it may be the battery at fault.

99% certain it will be a battery problem....very common on BP511s

Cheers,
James

Really hope it is a battery issue and nothing else.

I bought the 5D 2nd hand and so I don't know the history of the battery...

Good to hear from you Robert...planning a trip to S.A. soon??:D

I've had a problem with my old camera seemingly shutting down, removing battery and reinserting seemed to solve the problem, only for it to happen again shortly afterwards. Was getting worried camera was developing a fault - tried a new battery and hey presto, problem gone. (y)

Battery at fault. Get new ones for less than £5 off ebay. Even if they don't last as long a the Canon ones, you'll still save loads. I've had about 12 or so. Two have failed after a year, the rest have lasted 3, 4, 5 years and still going.

Thanks for all the responses folks(y)(y)

Will get a new battery and hunt for a BG-E4 grip too...they seem hard to come by new so will look for a nice pre-loved specimen.

Cheers

I had this a couple of times on my 30D.

Just clean up the terminals, even if they look OK, and the battery charges up as normal and holds its charge again.

Back