5d mk3: how to zoom view while recording?

Name
Amir
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to see a zoomed in view on the LCD while recording video so I can sure I am keeping the subject in focus. The subject is moving around a bit. Is this possible? I can zoom the view in but soon as I start recording it goes back to the full view again.

I use MagicLantern on my mk3 and couldn't live without it. It has a feature called Magic Zoom which does exactly what you need.
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/File:Magic_Lantern_Tip_1_Magic_Zoom

Disclaimer: ML is a bit of software which does a temporary firmware update. And while I've never heard of a camera breaking because of it, and have personally used it for years on 3 different cameras with absolutely no problems, it's not written or supported by Canon.

From the ML website: "The Magic Lantern firmware is distributed with NO WARRANTY and NO GUARANTEES are provided. It might work. It might not. It hasn't destroyed any cameras yet, but who knows."

Hmm I've only had my camera a week! Scared of putting ML on to it - I know it's irrational. Damn - this should be a feature from Canon - it's more or less essential imho. Now I have to decide how much i want this feature /sigh.

Thanks for the heads up.

No, it's not irrational at all. That's a 3 grand camera you got there! I was afraid to put it on my Rebel, but decided it was worth the risk once my 7d was on the way. Then did the same thing to my 7d when I ordered the mk3.

Another way to accomplish what you want would be to get a loupe, such as the zacuto z-finder. But they're not cheap. http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder

Ah thx for the info re the loupe. I think I will use a smaller aperture and static subjects for now and see how I get on :)

The other way is to fit an external monitor to assist with critical focus. I've seen people with 7" and 10" battery powered scenes added to their rigs.

i've seen those lilliput monitors. No way would I stick one of those on my camera to be honest. Rather unwieldily for someone who just wants to shoot home movies.

i use a liliput monitor on my canon 7D & 600D (and Magic Lantern) for recording macro in the field its invaluable, camera is on a tripod.

I have a friend who installed ML on his 5d mkii and it works.........I have the canon 5d mkiii and will do a bit more research before taking the plunge. I film weddings and this will a very important option

No, it's not irrational at all. That's a 3 grand camera you got there! I was afraid to put it on my Rebel, but decided it was worth the risk once my 7d was on the way. Then did the same thing to my 7d when I ordered the mk3.

Another way to accomplish what you want would be to get a loupe, such as the zacuto z-finder. But they're not cheap. http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder

The viewfinder is not a full 1920x1080 display, so if you use a loupe, how do you know you're adjusting focus rather than just magnifying video scaling artefacts?

The viewfinder is not a full 1920x1080 display, so if you use a loupe, how do you know you're adjusting focus rather than just magnifying video scaling artefacts?

Well that is one of the limitations of such a small screen. You are in fact looking at a jpegged colour-shifted representation of what is actually being recorded. But in my experience, it's "good enough". Although, most of what I do is done with a tripod. Hand-held video is trickier. That's where MagicLantern really shines. (accidental pun. sorry!)

You can get decent loupes for a lot cheaper than those Zacutos. I only do little bits of video myself but I always have my loupe with me when photographing weddings as its essential for checking things like focus on a small screen especially if your eyes are anything like mine!

Mines a Meike loupe which cost £40 but its spot on for what I use it for, came with two magnetic surrounds that stick on around your camera LCD so you can use it on two cameras.

I have seen them for cheaper than £40 but I have also seen some very poor quality ones used by other togs, the Meike loupe is very good quality and decent value when compared to some others.

£35 on ebay

Its funny that whenever I have someone second shoot for me they have invariably bought themselves a loupe next time I shout with them after having a go with mine, maybe its not just me with bad eyes!

Back