5D mk3, YongNuo 622c no Ettl?

Edit My Images
Yes
So I have a 5D mk3, a 580 ExII flash and have a pair of YongNuo 622C wireless triggers

This is all supposed to be compatible, but I cannot get the ETTL through to the flash. It triggers but no adjustments are shown on the flash screen. The flash works fine when attached to the camera body, or when used with a ST-E2, I just want more range/flexibility.

Have I missed something?

That combination worked fine when I used it assuming that you are using the transmitter with the LCD and not a pair of 622 tranceivers. You should be able to adjust the power when the flash is set in M or just fire away with TTL.

Ah do I need the transmitter as well - I just have a pair of the 622C's. I thought that combination worked, as the flash triggers. Aren't they both transmitter and receiver. I thought the tramsitter with LCD screen was for cameras without the external flash control menu

It says it supports The EOS DSLR camera with external flash control menu: Canon 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YN-622C-II...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J2HQGW0R1WWV42ZPHP4W

So no ettl at all. It just triggers the flash on full power everytime. No adjustments seen on the flash screen, yet works fine attached to the camera.

Last edited:
I had a load of them. As far as I'm aware you need the transmitter with the LCD in order to make live adjustments.

TTL should still work though. Perhaps you can use FEC. Anything other than that from within the camera would be very awkward to use.

I don't use them anymore so I can't check this.

I've asked the question from the seller on Amazon. If they don't work as implied then they are going back, I'll stick to the old simple wireless triggers as before as do it all manually.

They definitely do TTL.
You want to get a transmitter & tranceiver set rather than 2 tranceivers to be able to make manual power adjustments.

Clive, RIP.

I have used that combination of equipment before and not had any problems from it. They work fully and predate the dedicated transmitter by some time.

It's likely to be an ill seated transmitter in the shoe / foot. Push it forward fully before tightening. It could also be dirty contacts. Swap 622s around to see. View Clive's guide for more info.

However, you are missing out on several enhancements not using the dedicated transmitter yn622c-tx.

Or the just launched flash master yn968 (nikon only currently).

Last edited:
Have you seen "the other YN622C user guide" by Clive Bolton. http://www.diyphotographystuff.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The-Other-YN622C-User-Guide.pdf

It may help. The ETTL should work with the 2 transceivers as the transmitter with the LCD screen was a later addition to the range so folks did not have to go into the camera settings to change the flash power.

Yup cheers, found and read. They just won't work with my combination no matter how I try.
Could they be Nikon rather than canon ones?
Edit - nope - checked - definitely YN622C II

Last edited:
Have you checked the output?

I only ask because before I had the TX I'm sure one of my flashes showed no signs of the communication, but it did work perfectly.

Yup tried with a 430 exII as well, same symptoms

However, you are missing out on several enhancements not using the dedicated transmitter yn622c-tx.

Like what - the ability to pay more money just to have a unit on top of the camera doing what I can do in the camera menu?
The 5D mk III is supposed to have full capability

Full control (Type A cameras)
Uses Camera Flash Control menus. Provides ETTL & FEC, Manual levels, HSS and SuperSync to 5D mk III

Given up, had no response from the seller other than to ask for positive feedback so I'm returning the items.

Last edited:
Yup tried with a 430 exII as well, same symptoms

Like what - the ability to pay more money just to have a unit on top of the camera doing what I can do in the camera menu?
The 5D mk III is supposed to have full capability

Full control (Type A cameras)
Uses Camera Flash Control menus. Provides ETTL & FEC, Manual levels, HSS and SuperSync to 5D mk III

Given up, had no response from the seller other than to ask for positive feedback so I'm returning the items.
The speed difference between the camera menu and TX unit is worth 5x the cost of the unit IMHO.

Just using the 622s was possible but slow and frustrating, the TX is fast and efficient.

I have 2x 622C and a TX unit, using with my 6D.
If I use the pair of 622Cs, one on camera and one on a flash, they work fine. If I want to make adjustments, I can do it through the camera menu system.
If I use the TX on the camera and the 622C as receiver for the flash, I can make adjustments on the TX unit rather than the camera.
But I've found:
a) you have to get the combination of settings right in the camera and on the flash (ie are they both on ETTL or Manual), if not the ETTL setting from the camera can override whatever else you set or the flash can ignore any manual settings you put in; and
b) one of my 622C transceivers has a dodgy hotshoe so won't fire the flash sitting on it.

Cheers all, I've given up as they didn't work for me so have returned them for a refund. Shame.

If you can't see the benefits of paying just a tiny bit more for a dedicated transmitter unit that has had an excellent reputation for five years, then you probably had a lucky escape.

So, what are you changing to?

Godox have a good reputation.

Back