5d mkI

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I have sourced a fairly knocked about (don't know how much) 5d mkI for £600 this is the very extremities of what i can afford to spend on anything atm.
Is this a good deal?
What is the difference between the iso performance of a 450d and a 5dmkI, basically is it a significantly better camera.
I shoot sports and portraits mainly.

MUCH better i should imagine!! i dont know how good the 450 is, but id lay money on it being TONS better.. not to mention the 5D would knock the socks off the 450 in every way..

The price sounds fair but check the shutter actuation.The camera will be brilliant for portrait and landscape but you will need decent lenses to go with it.Not great for sports as you lose the crop factor and it tends to be slow.
Pete.

I knew it was better, I should have phrased my question better.

Is significantly better for sports or should i wait and save for a second hand 1d mkI or II.
Apologies

Is significantly better for sports or should i wait and save for a second hand 1d mkI or II.
Or because much of what i shoot is sports a 40d or 50d that pops into my price range.

Apologies for earlier confusion

Apologies
Significantly better? Probably not. But it depends what kinds of sports, I'd say.

450D advantages:
* faster drive speed - 3.5 fps vs 3 fps
* 1.6x crop factor, useful for big-pitch outdoor sports

5D advantages
* bigger buffer - 17 RAWs vs 6 RAWs
* better high-ISO performance, useful for indoor sports

But a 1D would beat the pants off either of them.

My 5D actually seems a touch slower than my old 400D for sports (well, motorsport that is). I've learnt to work with it though, and its improved my photos a lot (along with my improved technique of course!).

As Stewart points out, the 1D would be better on all fronts, but I wanted the 5D for landscape and stock photography too, where I consider it superior.

Id say get a 40d for sports.

6.5 fps, with the added bonus of the 1.6x crop factor, getting you closer to the action.
I think the portraits would come out nice too with a decent prime lens.

Mike

hmmm
a second hand 40d is very doable on price for me, and the crop factor is important as my sports lens is only 200 mm long

how much of an improvement in iso performance is there over the 450d do people think?

Anyone had or has both?

Not sure with the handling versus a 450d, but the range of ISO selection instead of just 100,200,400,800,1600 is a really big help and the noise handling at 1600 and the pushed 3200 is actually quite impressive.

intriguing i was shooting a rugby game in poor weather with my 450 at iso 1600 and when i cropped the shots in ps the noise was quite bad, on reflection i probably should have used iso 800

Is there a lot more control over the 40d I now know most if not all of the 450d's functions and occasionally would like a few more, it still has spot metering right ?

intriguing i was shooting a rugby game in poor weather with my 450 at iso 1600 and when i cropped the shots in ps the noise was quite bad, on reflection i probably should have used iso 800

Is there a lot more control over the 40d I now know most if not all of the 450d's functions and occasionally would like a few more, it still has spot metering right ?

I shoot 40D and love it but I would not swap a 450D to get one as the differences are too minimal.Wait and get your 1D----better yet get the 5D and keep the 450D as well.
Pete.

For what money you have I would leave the 5d where it is, You could have a new 40d and change for your £600.

Back