5D mkII owners.

Name
Eric Edwards
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought mine a week ago, What settings do you use? How do you configure it? Thanks in advance, Ric.

Ric Type R said:
What settings do you use? How do you configure it?
Didn't you have a 1D MkIII? Surely you must know how the 5D works as it can't be that dissimilar.

I could understand if it was your first DSLR or you've moved from Nikon to Canon, but you should be way ahead of the game!

I have a 5DMkII and my user settings are set to suit my style of photography, my experience and my convenience and comfort as to what button does what.

Now not knowing your experience, how you are used to operating a camera, what style of photography you are predominantly into, how can my settings help you?

But, in the spirit of helping, here is how my 5DMkII is currently set up:

My main interests are Portrait, Landscape, Tabletop & Macro so these are my usual settings, but I would vary them if required or I want to shot a different subject.

Exposure settings? (mode, metering, ISO) Man, Spot, As low as possible to get the effect I am looking for.
Drive & AF settings? Single shot, One Shot,
White Balance & Quality settings? Custom WB, Raw + L jpg

Menu settings?

Menu 1

Quality: RAW + L JPG
Beep: Off
Shoot w/o card: Off
Review Time: 4 secs
Per Ill: Correct

Menu 2

White Balance: custom
Colour space: sRGB
Picture Style: Standard

Menu 4

Highlight alert: Enable
AF point disp: Disable
Histogram: Brightness
Image Jump: 10 images

Menu 5

Auto power off: 1 min
Auto rotate: On
File numbering: Continuous

Menu 6

LCD Brightness: Auto
Langauge: English
Video System: Pal

Menu 7
INFO. button: Normal disp

Custom Functions:

C.Fn I: Exposure

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
0 0 1 0 0 0 0

C.Fn II: Image

1 2 3 4
0 0 0 0

C.Fn III: Autofocus/Drive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
0 0 1 0 0 0 1 2

C.Fn IV: Operation/Others

1 2 3 4 5 6
2 0 5 0 2 0

Cool!! With your menu settings listed here that makes me much easier to just modify them and put mine down!!

Menu 1

Quality: RAW
Review Time: 2 secs

Menu 2

White Balance: custom
Colour space: Adobe RGB
Picture Style: User Def.

Menu 4

Menu 5

Auto rotate: On

Menu 6

Menu 7

Custom Functions:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
0 0 1 0 0 0 0

1 2 3 4
0 0 0 0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2

1 2 3 4 5 6
0 0 5 0 1 1

Thanks EdBray and ccsharry, That's all i wanted to know,(y) Just curious, glitch, I had the 1D for 3 weeks, Found it to heavy to handle, Just because i can afford expensive cameras dosn`t mean i know what i`m doing.:bang:

Oh, I thought you'd had it for yonks!

Well, best of luck with the new acquisition. I'm sure you'll love it.

I`m sure i will.

Menu 1

Quality: RAW
Review Time: 2 secs

Menu 2

White Balance: awb
Colour space: Adobe RGB
Picture Style: Standard

Menu 4

Menu 5

Auto rotate: On both

Menu 6

Menu 7

Custom Functions:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1 2 3 4
0 0 0 0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2

1 2 3 4 5 6
0 0 6 0 0 1

Thanks EdBray and ccsharry, That's all i wanted to know,(y) Just curious, glitch, I had the 1D for 3 weeks, Found it to heavy to handle, Just because i can afford expensive cameras dosn`t mean i know what i`m doing.:bang:

LOL. Very refreshing honesty. (y)

You're amazing :D

Seriously I'm not being a prick, or taking the ****, I just think it's wicked awesome that

A) You buy one of the most expensive cameras for the hell of it
B) You have the balls to admit it and not give a toss :)

Have fun with it, I'm ever so jealous!

Wanna trade for a 40d? It's a much better camera, promise!

Just because i can afford expensive cameras dosn`t mean i know what i`m doing.:bang:

After a snigger several posts earlier I feel I have to follow that up, and along with others tip my hat at your honesty. I think you've done the right thing buying that camera and if I had the money I would do so myself. I think there's a lot to be said for having the best equipment as you know the only thing preventing you from making the photograph you want, is YOU. You're not left wondering... "if only my high iso capability was better", "i'm sure my AF would be better if I hax a xxx", etc.

(y)

f2.8 iso 1600 shuter 1/60-200:) hope it helps

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

let me know when you get tired of it and I'll take it off your hands....

After a snigger several posts earlier I feel I have to follow that up, and along with others tip my hat at your honesty. I think you've done the right thing buying that camera and if I had the money I would do so myself. I think there's a lot to be said for having the best equipment as you know the only thing preventing you from making the photograph you want, is YOU. You're not left wondering... "if only my high iso capability was better", "i'm sure my AF would be better if I hax a xxx", etc.

(y)

Well that's one way to look at it.

The other is that until you have any idea of what you're doing with a camera how on earth can you blame it when it's probably you? The higher-end the body the more complex it's settings. If you don't know what those settings are or do then you're going to blame it when it's not the one at fault.

The OP is of course free to do what he likes with his money, that's not my point. I find the whole 'I applaud your honesty' approach slightly bizarre though.

If I had the money I would have got a shiny new 5D a year ago instead of a second hand 30D! I'd still have spent a yea taking rubish pics but at least ehy would have been high qualoty rubish pics and I wouldn't now be suffering from upgrade-itus!

Opened a can of worms here, I do like a good discussion.

I would be amazed if anyone here could honestly say that they have never bought a piece of technology be it a DSLR, VHS player, mobile phone, car or whatever that doesn't have more functionality than needed.

There will always be someone worse off or better off than you..such is life. Crack on, leave it on the green square if you want, and have fun!

I went from a 400D to a 5D2. The jump was HUGE. I'm learning something new every day.

And there's nothing wrong with it.

What gets me is - 'I've bought a £2300 camera, can someone tell me how to use it'

So, basically, everyone who's spent years working on learning for themselves, can you save me the trouble and configure it for me - as if configuring the camera is all you need to do....

I am not asking anyone to configure my camera for me, I was just wondering what they set there`s at THATS ALL.

And what does that tell you? How do you know what they're using it for?

probably absolutely nothing... but the op will find that out in time and learn exactly the same way as everyone else, whether it be on a cheaper entry level or high spec dslr.

Have fun playing with it! (I'd post my settings but they change day to day... if not more often at the moment!:LOL:)

Anna

Yes, but i'm sure your you didn't learn everything from the manual? When i got my first DSLR it just didn't click when i read the manual so instead i practised, went on a few courses and used this forum.

Each to their own.

And there's nothing wrong with it.

What gets me is - 'I've bought a £2300 camera, can someone tell me how to use it'

So, basically, everyone who's spent years working on learning for themselves, can you save me the trouble and configure it for me - as if configuring the camera is all you need to do....

I think you're being a bit harsh. Are you saying it would be okay if he said "I bought a £200 camera, can someone tell me how to use it?". Seems to me he's just asking for a few pointers to get up and running. It's okay to ask that, even if it is an expensive camera.

Maybe it is harsh to some, but can we get away from this idea that only cuddly posts are ok here?

Personally I don't think it is. This is someone who had a 1D III, and now a 5D II. That alone would suggest some modicum of understanding of how a camera operates. And yes, someone buying a £200 is more likely to ask that question. And it would be more legitimate IMO.

For clarification - 'Ive bought a 5D II and haven't used this particular setting before. The manual isn't making much sense so can I ask other owners what they have and why?'

seems much more likely to elicit a useful response than

'Just bought mine a week ago, What settings do you use? How do you configure it? '

No? That second question seems to me to be pointless. We know absolutely nothing about the OP's shooting requirements so how on earth can anyone answer it? Simply listing multiple instances of other people's settings is useless until we do.

I'm trying to cut through some of the noise here.

Ric's only asking for abit of advice, nowt wrong with that

He's been a little dissapointed with his results and he just wants to fine tune the camera

I'm sure he'll appreciate your help:thumbsdown:

Friendly bunch on here:shrug:

Back