5D MkII owners

fraggle101

Not a mermaid
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, iv been having a play with some of the new settings, Safety shift, Highlight Tone Priority, but there is one other new feature.. AUTO LIGHTING OPTIMISER... Now, i assumed it to be Canons equivalent to Nikons ACTIVE D LIGHTING..

Anyway, iv had a play with it, and read the manual.. which is brief to say the least!.. but i cant see ANY difference between having it on OR off!! iv tried all different conditions, high contrast and shot in JPG.. but there is no difference.. with the Nikon's, you don't even have to have it ON! if you take a picture and you want to see how much detail there is just select the image you want it applied to and there it is! a nice shiny new JPG added to your shots with the Active D applied to it..:shrug:

Am i doing something wrong? am i expecting too much? or am i way off thinking its going to be anything like Active D??

Iv not even seen any difference with Highlight tone priority or the Safety shift! :shrug:

Please can someone put me out of my misery!!

I think its a case of, How do you keep an idiot in suspense..... tell me later! :LOL:

. with the Nikon's, you don't even have to have it ON! if you take a picture and you want to see how much detail there is just select the image you want it applied to and there it is! a nice shiny new JPG added to your shots with the Active D applied to it..:shrug:

For the record, and relying on my old memory I think that with the Nikon they are two different animals, in other words applying Active D Lighting in shooting mode is a different process to applying the D Lighting after you have taken the shot.

OK, but how does the Canon one work? am i missing something?? lol.. nothing looks different!

OK, but how does the Canon one work? am i missing something?? lol.. nothing looks different!

Not a clue sorry, do Canon have their version of Ken Rockwell, the all knowing guru on things Nikon :D however useful when you cannot find something in the manual.

I thought the forum was full of them! :LOL:

Ken Rockwells are like buses.. there'll be one along any minuet.. (y)

:shrug: just buy a nikon Tony :p

LALALALALALA...IM NOT LISTENING! LALALALALA..... :help:

I know it shuold do something.. but im wondering WHAT!! lol.. i thought it would be like the Active D, but i guess not eh!

WHAT DO IT DO?????? :bang:

Thanks Yv... luv ya... :nuts:

LALALALALALA...IM NOT LISTENING! LALALALALA..... :help:

I know it shuold do something.. but im wondering WHAT!! lol.. i thought it would be like the Active D, but i guess not eh!

WHAT DO IT DO?????? :bang:

Thanks Yv... luv ya... :nuts:

:LOL: yep, got to say the active D is at least obvious and I feel it impossible to say that a company that produces those 'sore thumb' white lenses could possibly be manufacturing something with a feature so subtle you can't actually see it :nuts:

. there'll be one along any minuet.. (y)

What dancing .... minuet a slow graceful dance in 3⁄4 time characterized by forward balancing, bowing, and toe pointing .... sounds like a few photographers on here :D

:LOL: yep, got to say the active D is at least obvious and I feel it impossible to say that a company that produces those 'sore thumb' white lenses could possibly be manufacturing something with a feature so subtle you can't actually see it :nuts:

I know.. i can see the feature.. but not the effect.. :thinking: bummer..

What dancing .... minuet a slow graceful dance in 3⁄4 time characterized by forward balancing, bowing, and toe pointing .... sounds like a few photographers on here :D

whoops! my bad.. :puke:

Mind you.. :naughty:

The bowing and toe pointing tickled me ...

Had a quick scan on the web, found this site which mentions this being a fix in Firmware update Fixes the algorithms of the Auto Lighting Optimizer function when Custom Function C.Fn II-3 Highlight tone priority is enabled. may be of help, may be some other useful info on the site (y)

Tony, it was discussed on 50D in this topic here
Have a look :)
Lukas

Thanks guys, it looks as if its a more subtle scaled down version .. only on Jpg's and the embedded jpg in the RAW.. its not something id use as i shoot RAW exclusively and edit to my own taste, but i like to play with toys.. :) but i couldn't see the difference.. i should do a comparison on the puts! not just the rear screen..

Thanks for the replies guys..

Off to read the 50D thread.. (y)

Back