5D Mkii - USB cable help

Edit My Images
No
What USB cable do I need to buy to shoot tethered to the laptop, just been on the web and there are so many different ones/names I’m lost.

Any help would be appreciated :thinking:

There should be one supplied with the camera.

Was there not one supplied with the camera?

Edit: Admirable beat me to it

Bought the camera 2nd hand and didnt have one supplied, i need one approx 5m thou

Standard USB cable nowt special. 5m is too long for USB.

My 5D2 is tethered to my laptop at the moment with the cable off my card reader :D

I have a box full of USB cables that have come off all sorts of kit, I got the 5m one I use for one of my printers of ebay and it's unbranded and doesn't have a repeater.

At £5 I'd just give it a go and see if it works. It's not a lot to lose :D

Printer USB cables are different, what he needs is a 5M USB extension cable

Admirable

My printer uses the tiny usb cable, my camera one is exactly the same specifications. The one Neil has linked to has the correct ends so should do the trick.

I have tried two different 10m ones and they dont work for anything LOL except maybe to hang myself.

£5 isn't a lot to risk for a play around.

The link I gave first is to some rather interesting USB to CAT5 covertors / deconvertors that I'm going to try with my 5D2. If they work I should be able to set up my camera a few feet from my bird feeders.

ChrisH

Can you let me know how you get on with the USB to CAT% convertors/deconvertors

Quite interested in them

Admirable

My printer uses the tiny usb cable, my camera one is exactly the same specifications. The one Neil has linked to has the correct ends so should do the trick.

I have tried two different 10m ones and they dont work for anything LOL except maybe to hang myself.

£5 isn't a lot to risk for a play around.

The link I gave first is to some rather interesting USB to CAT5 covertors / deconvertors that I'm going to try with my 5D2. If they work I should be able to set up my camera a few feet from my bird feeders.

My mistake, I didn't realise printers used that type of cable.

Malla,

here is a link to some on fleabay

repeater USB cable

You're welcome although I only picked that seller 'cause it was the best picture.

My 52D works perfectly tethered with a 10 meter (2 x 5 plus a repeater) USB + the USB supplied with the camera. With this set up transfer rate is still fast.
Hope this has been of help to you.

Back