5d mkiii or 5ds??

Edit My Images
Yes
I was considering a switch to the dark side but I have 3 l lenses and a couple of other primes so it would involve a big swap. I have a 5d mkii but the ancient autofocus can't keep up with my 4 year old so do I go for a 5kiii or 5ds? Don't really need 50mp and is the S so much better than the mkiii.
The mkiii is 4 years old now though.

Can't decide.

I was considering a switch to the dark side but I have 3 l lenses and a couple of other primes so it would involve a big swap. I have a 5d mkii but the ancient autofocus can't keep up with my 4 year old so do I go for a 5kiii or 5ds? Don't really need 50mp and is the S so much better than the mkiii.
The mkiii is 4 years old now though.

Can't decide.

You've answered your own question. Get the 5d3.

What are you using it for , they are 2 quite different cameras

The 5DS isn't so good in low light, the extra megapixels mean you lose some of the higher ISO options available on the 5D3 (ie the 5DS only goes to 6400 not 25600).

The 5DS is generally considered to be either a) a studio camera where lighting is controlable or b) a landscape camera where faster shutter speeds are not needed in low light.

I would say the 5D3 is much more suited to your needs.
Besides, if you had the 5DS, you might need to upgrade your computer with a faster processor and lots more storage to cope with the files and possibly also buy the updated Lightroom to cope with the files. All equals more cash.

My iMac can cope with the file sizes and I've got 8tb of memory to play with.
Can you use iso 25600 on the mkiii?
The 5D3 goes up to ISO 25600 (without using an extended mode) the 5DS only goes to ISO 6400.

Remember the files from a 5DS are going to be double the size of the files from your current 5D2.

Try this comparison tool from DPReview to see how much better the newer cameras are at high ISO: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ima...et=1&x=-0.874109059682267&y=0.850095602294455

5DS more for vedio.I think. Maybe you could wait for 5D4. I think it will be release after PHOTOKINA in september.

Or maybe you could buy a second hand 5D3, after 5D4 released, you sell the 5D3 and buy a new 5D4.

But the price of 5D4 will be high

Thank you for all the responses. I very rarely go above 3200 iso on my mkii as the results aren't good. Still can't decide.
I can get a 5ds for only £270 difference. Latest model and all that.

At the same ISO, there's more noise in the 5DS images than the 5D3 images. It's not just the maximum sensitivity, but the amount of noise in each. If you then downsample the 5DS image to the same size as the 5D3 image, much of that noise difference goes away, but if you're going to downsize the images, then you have to question why you're going for the bigger images in the first place.

The 5DS isn't a successor to the 5D3, it's a camera for a different role (where you need extreme detail in controlled situations). You can use it like a 5D3, but you're not getting the extra money out of it if you do. The 5D3 is more flexible in my view.

However, in most situations, they'll both take perfectly fine photographs.

If I were in your shoes, I would also look at a 7dii for autofocus or spend just a bit more than a new 5Ds and get a used 1DX from the classifieds, there's a lot of talk about the 5Div on canon rumours so if you can hang on, that might be worth it, just for the 5diii to maybe go down in price.

I've never owned or even seen one, it was just a suggestion based on the auto focus.

I'd look at it but honestly, if I were upgrading right now, I'd spend the extra on a used 1DX.

I'm happy with my 6D and just waiting for the 5Div, if it keeps the same batteries it will be much easier, smaller than a 1Dx too, no rush

I was in a similar situation although I only had a 60D, not a 5D2, and I did a lot of research upon which body to get. Initially I was definite on a 5D3 and I nearly bought one. Twice. Research then started pointing me towards the dark side and some advice on here pushed me a little harder. So I went and had a play...and now I'm the proud owner of a Nikon D750. I can honestly say its awesome and made the 5D3 feel old, sluggish and out of date. Let alone a lot more expensive (good used 5D3 circa £1500 - I bought a 2 month old D750 with 300 shutters for £1050)
You may not like the Nikon menus, or the feel of them so it may be a no go but I'd honestly not give up on the idea and consider the switch. I had 3 lenses, including L glass and sold them all really easily.

All aside, your 5d2 AF should cope with your 4 year old, I used to use one for show jumping and Motorsport :)

Back