5D remote switch

Name
henry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Recently bought used Canon 5D body, am wanting to use on tripod and use a remote. Have seen remotes going for very little on amazon. Are these worth buying, or is splashing out on the Canon one worth it? I'm not looking for a wireless one, just a simple cable one, used with my eye to the viewfinder will do.
Thanks

Hi, got this one for my 40D (which I beleive is the same although not listed, other sites do aswell as Canon) Link, Is a good remote for the price.

I bought a wired shutter release for my 5D here:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1018142

I do have a wireless trigger, but bought the wired one as a backup since I ran out of batteries with the wireless in the middle of a landscape shoot - was a right pain.

The wired remote above works great, has 2 stage release (half press for focus, full press for shot).

Matt

At the risk of sounding like a pimp, I've got a genuine Canon RS-80N3 here that you can have for £20 delivered.

Bob

My advice... do not buy a cheap one. I did, and it lasted just one outing (admitedly I dangled it in a rockpool, but still). The quality of the proper Canon one is far superior, and the actual jack that you plug in is in a completely different league. This is particulary true of the 5D one with those 3 tiny pins.

Is the 5D one the same as the 1D MkIII ?

^^^ Yes, it went all the way from the high end film SLR's, through the 10-50D, 5D and 1D/1Ds series.

Bob

I have a non-Canon remote and althought the switch is ok the connection is very iffy. It's difficult to get it plugged in and sometimes needs to be fiddled with to get it going.

Not the thing to use if speed is important - it's also bloody embarasing if you're doing a portrait or something and nothing happens when you expect it to.

Thanks for all these replies - mmm, think I'll spend a bit more to get better quality. I can see a genuine Canon one on Amazon for £30 - I'm sending a pm to Canon Bob!

Regards

I tried a cheapo eBay one some time ago, it worked, but the build quality and general feel of it was crap. I kept it for about a week and sold it again for a dirt cheap price. I then bought a TC-80N3 which was crazy expensive at the time for what it is, but it feels like it will last for years. You get what you pay for.

I tried a cheapo eBay one some time ago, it worked, but the build quality and general feel of it was crap. I kept it for about a week and sold it again for a dirt cheap price. I then bought a TC-80N3 which was crazy expensive at the time for what it is, but it feels like it will last for years. You get what you pay for.

Agreed totally - I'm now sorted with the genuine article thanks to Canon Bob!

Back