5d!

Name
Vanessa
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone!

Was looking into buying a 5D from singapore when i return home in december. got my dad to check the prices for me (he can get it cheaper from his friend apparently) but his friend said that there were problems with the 5D and it's not recommended?

I found this a little strange because i've been hearing/reading nothing but good things about the 5D, so i'd really like to hear your input on the camera. Also, should I wait till maybe april-july before I buy it? is it worth the wait?

Thanks for your time :)

Ive never heard of anyone with a real complaint about the 5D.
(except when someone put an EF-S lens on it... ooops)

That said it's rumored that there will be a 5DMKII (or 6D) out sometime soon as the rest of the range is being refreshed.

I love my 5D & will highly recommend it - this will obviously depend on the type of shooting that you do - don't get one to capture the World championship games or fast paced sports stuff as you'll find that it has trouble keeping up in most cases. But for image quality it is amazing imho - I use mine for portraits, street photography, wildlife, etc - pretty much any general use.
You'll need to also bear in mind the crop factor aspects, with it being full frame you'll lose the 1.6 (or 1.3) crop that you may be used to & it will also show all of the flaws in your lenses so decent glass is desirable to get the best results.

Good luck with your choice (y)

I love my 5D & will highly recommend it - this will obviously depend on the type of shooting that you do - don't get one to capture the World championship games or fast paced sports stuff as you'll find that it has trouble keeping up in most cases. But for image quality it is amazing imho - I use mine for portraits, street photography, wildlife, etc - pretty much any general use.
You'll need to also bear in mind the crop factor aspects, with it being full frame you'll lose the 1.6 (or 1.3) crop that you may be used to & it will also show all of the flaws in your lenses so decent glass is desirable to get the best results.

Good luck with your choice (y)

:agree: wholeheartedly. I also love mine. I shoot the same as moomike but do weddings as well.

i'll most likely use it for travel/street/food photography so that sounds about right. Yeah I heard news about a 5DMKII as well which was why I'm wondering if I should just wait. Or would it be silly to buy a 400d/40d in its place?

you can't really compare the 400d to the 40d or the 5d really, they are cameras aimed at different points in the market.

I own a 5D, it's a fantastic body and I've yet to hear of problems with them. As Mike said, if you need 10fps to make sure you bag the shot and get the money in the bank, the 5 isn't for you.

If you want gorgeous colour rendition and image quality at higher iso's get the 5d.

thanks for the advice everyone! i'll probably go back and speak to my dad's mate and find out what exactly he means by a problem then i'll decide. thanks!

Back