5D2 & Eg-s screen

Name
Edward Bray
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of getting a eg-s screen for my 5d2. I only have three lenses that are above f2.8 which are my 17-40L (usually only use it on my 30D), 12-24 sigma and my 1.4x converter (when coupled with the 70-200L f2.8 IS). I do not use these lenses too often, but will I still be able to use them on the odd occasion without having to revert back to the old screen.

Comments from those who use this combination or the ee-s/5D combo would be appreciated.

just out of interest and off topic slightly, what is the difference from the normal screen all the lenses i own are f2.8 is it worth swapping over?

Cheers

I am thinking of getting a eg-s screen for my 5d2. I only have three lenses that are above f2.8 which are my 17-40L (usually only use it on my 30D), 12-24 sigma and my 1.4x converter (when coupled with the 70-200L f2.8 IS). I do not use these lenses too often, but will I still be able to use them on the odd occasion without having to revert back to the old screen.

Comments from those who use this combination or the ee-s/5D combo would be appreciated.

I use an Ee-s screen on my 5D and find it much easier for manually focusing with the lenses I use. I had a little play with a friend's 24-105 f4L for a short while and based on that I'd say the camera would still be "useable" with the slower lenses mounted but it would be noticably darker than using it on the camera with a standard focus screen. It really depends on what sort of light you'd be typically using them as to whether you could still make it work. As a caveat to my comments it's also worth noting there was pretty good light available when I had a go with the f/4 lens :)

just out of interest and off topic slightly, what is the difference from the normal screen all the lenses i own are f2.8 is it worth swapping over?

Cheers

With the Ee-s/Ef-s screen in the viewfinder will be brighter and the portion of the image that is in focus will be more easier to see.

I used one on the 40D I owned but the smaller viewfinder does limit the benefit somewhat.

Silly question, but what difference does the speed of the lens make? I understand the difference between a f/2.8 and an f/4 lens, but not in this context.

Is it that the Ee-s screen only works well at f/2.8 or lower? What about when you use a smaller aperture? Or is it that an f/2.8 lens would let more light in at f/4 than an f/4 lens would?

Okay, got my eg-s screen yesterday. I really like it and it works okay with all my lenses, and it does say it is optimised for f2.8 or brighter lenses, although even my Sigma 12-24 works okay, and that at 24mm has a maximum aperture of f5.6. Yes the viewfinder is darker than normal, but no worse than some film cameras I have had in the past.

Now the benefits, manual focussing is much, much better and it is much easier to achieve sharp results with my f2.8 and f1.4 lenses. The image is darker but the ground glass is very precise.

As for using a smaller aperture, that has no bearing on the focussing (unless you hold the depth of field preview button in) as the lens always focusses at it's full aperture, only closing down to the selected aperture just prior to the moment of exposure.

As for using a smaller aperture, that has no bearing on the focussing (unless you hold the depth of field preview button in) as the lens always focusses at it's full aperture, only closing down to the selected aperture just prior to the moment of exposure.
And that, ladies and gents, is my lightbulb moment.

Back