5d2 vs 5d classic high iso noise

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
hola, how does a 5d classic behave with high iso's compared to my mk2?

Is it a stop behind, 2 stops behind? I intend on using it with a prime on for wedding candids so it will generally run on f2.

mk2's are like rocking horse poo at the moment S/H and this would save me a fair wedge of monies.

hola, how does a 5d classic behave with high iso's compared to my mk2?

Is it a stop behind, 2 stops behind? I intend on using it with a prime on for wedding candids so it will generally run on f2.

mk2's are like rocking horse poo at the moment S/H and this would save me a fair wedge of monies.

how about a 7d for this as it will be faster I think for candid's, got one myself now and its great camera...

how about a 7d for this as it will be faster I think for candid's, got one myself now and its great camera...

tis, but I'd want to buy one new because of the batch issues (some were **** while the rest were amazing) which kills my profit on the 1d and makes it 5d2 money :s

does have the in built commander which is nice

also is crop so more DoF and will feel different to the 5d IQ wise

not sure about that... it show the 5DmkII and 5d better at sport then the 7D ??? got to be wrong

Why ? from the site:

Sports Score is defined as the low-light sensitivity performance and its unit is an ISO Sensitivity

are you saying the 7D has a better ' low-light sensitivity performance ' than a 5D2

Why ? from the site:

Sports Score is defined as the low-light sensitivity performance and its unit is an ISO Sensitivity

are you saying the 7D has a better ' low-light sensitivity performance ' than a 5D2

I am saying the 7d is better for sport overall, I have friend who have both and like the 7d better as well.
I have not tried the 5dMKII but will do and see what the difference is but I still think if you want to do sport then the 7D is the camera to have..

bout half a stop, I can live with that. It'll handle the same and AF the same so is much easier to pick up put down (my current issue with 1d)

I am saying the 7d is better for sport overall, I have friend who have both and like the 7d better as well.
I have not tried the 5dMKII but will do and see what the difference is but I still think if you want to do sport then the 7D is the camera to have..

Chaz - READ THE FOLLOWING

The OP's question was around ISO

now tell me who dared to say that a 5DmkII was better than the fantastic 7D at shooting sport or even mentioned that they wanted to shoot sport , before this thread gets dragged of into another argument like most appear to now.

because of its AF system, this site measures sensors only, I know the 5d AF system well as its the same as in the 5d2

bout half a stop, I can live with that. It'll handle the same and AF the same so is much easier to pick up put down (my current issue with 1d)

Whoever told you that must be a 5D owner, I've had both and the Mk2 is a lot better than the Mk1 at high ISOs.

I was looking at the charts, its always gonna have a stop more aperture (well nearly always)

how did yours fare below 1600?

I had mine for nearly three years and in daylight you are fine. In dimly lit churches and hotel suites it was starting to struggle (which is why I changed) Up to ISO800 it's pretty peachy, after that you are getting into running some NR at ISO1600 and more serious carp at ISO 3200.
I was shooting at f2 ISO1600 and only just getting 1/60 at one venue last year and that's when I thought "Enough"
Shooting a wedding on Wednesday I had to shoot the ceremony because my colleague could only get 1/15 sec on his 5D at ISO 1600.

In your shoes I'd hold fire until I could source a 5DII. :)

I had mine for nearly three years and in daylight you are fine. In dimly lit churches and hotel suites it was starting to struggle (which is why I changed) Up to ISO800 it's pretty peachy, after that you are getting into running some NR at ISO1600 and more serious carp at ISO 3200.
I was shooting at f2 ISO1600 and only just getting 1/60 at one venue last year and that's when I thought "Enough"
Shooting a wedding on Wednesday I had to shoot the ceremony because my colleague could only get 1/15 sec on his 5D at ISO 1600.

In your shoes I'd hold fire until I could source a 5DII. :)

I have a 5d2 this is for 'other' shots, this is to cover outdoors almost completely as I've never used both bodies mid ceremony before

Outdoors it's fine, a really capable little performer. The only downside would be in a backup scenario if anything happened to the 5DII. Risk assessment time! ;)

Outdoors it's fine, a really capable little performer. The only downside would be in a backup scenario if anything happened to the 5DII. Risk assessment time! ;)

long term I'd like 3 bodies for weddings so it can be no.3. Kicks my current backup at high iso :D

David, I part ex'd my 5DMKII's into Carmarthen Cameras two weeks ago ... might be worth giving them a call to see if they still have them?

I'll drop em a line, probably gone though I know devon camera had 2x5d2s new and sold one in 24 hours

1600 ISO on 5D is definitely useable, anything over that is pants. Its difficult to say how stops the 5d is behind the mkII, because the MKII @ 800 ISO looks like the 5D @ 200 and the MKII @ 3200 ISO looks like the 5D @ 1600 ISO. So it varies through the range.

1600 ISO on 5D is definitely useable, anything over that is pants. Its difficult to say how stops the 5d is behind the mkII, because the MKII @ 800 ISO looks like the 5D @ 200 and the MKII @ 3200 ISO looks like the 5D @ 1600 ISO. So it varies through the range.

If I can use 1600 then I have the blagging room to do a lot of stuff with technique primes and NR if **** happens :D

Back