5D3 file name...

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
This isn't really a biggy, but I am curious to see if anyone knows what's going on.

I recently bought a SH 5D3 and it came set up with a different file naming system to the one I'm used to.

I totally get why, if you're a pro and running multiple bodies, it means your file names will never clash as each starts with a unique number.

Mine is supposed to start with 374A, and that's what it says on the back on the camera, But when they're imported, the first number is replaced with an underscore. So instead of 374A_0000 it's _74A_0000.

I've tried editing this in the custom settings, but I get the same thing - whatever I set the first character to, it exports as an underscore.

Is this something in the way it's set-up? I did clear all settings when it arrived.

Any help gratefully received.

I think that's because the camera is set to record RAW. Perhaps your previous camera was recording JPG?

:plus1: :agree:

As far as I recall it is what @j crossley says, aRGB files have the underscore to differentiate them from sRGB

I've had all my old cameras set up to export RAW. Does it make any difference what the colourspace is? Is one 'better' than another?

It's not something I've ever even looked into before.

I use Lightroom for processing so am I better off keeping it in Adobe RGB or switching to sRGB?

Last edited:
I've had all my old cameras set up to export RAW. Does it make any difference what the colourspace is? Is one 'better' than another?

I use Lightroom for processing so am I better off keeping it in Adobe RGB or switching to sRGB?

IMO only in so far as the embedded jpeg will honour the colour space. As well as, depending on the raw conversion & editing software recognising "as shot"???

It only affects the image review display on camera. Keep it as adobe / neutral to get more realistic histogram. After that is makes ZERO difference.

LR works in much wider ProPhotoRGB color space and it is your job to proof it for desired output color space.

This ^
all canon cameras I’ve owned do this.

I've never owned a 'pro' body before. So all my files came out as IMG_0000.CR2 - with the exception of a 300d that I bought for my daughter where the files came out as CRW_0000.CRW files.

I've never owned a 'pro' body before. So all my files came out as IMG_0000.CR2 - with the exception of a 300d that I bought for my daughter where the files came out as CRW_0000.CRW files.

I am fairly sure my 40D when set to aRGB had the underscored file names....................can't speak for the 350D because all I shot was JPEGs back then and did not make any other settings changes :LOL:

Fairly sure all mine from the 20d on have done this when the colour space is set to Adobe RGB.
never owned a pro body.
300d
20d
40d
7d
6d
M5

edit... just checked the 20d user manual and it’s in there. :)

Last edited:
I rename my files to 2021-Jan- xx so I do not care about the convention used by the Camera. I only use Raw files myself. They can be automatically renamed during import to LR.

Dave

Fairly sure all mine from the 20d on have done this when the colour space is set to Adobe RGB.
never owned a pro body.
300d
20d
40d
7d
6d
M5

edit... just checked the 20d user manual and it’s in there. :)

I wasn't saying they weren't capable of doing it. But clearly from the information everyone's given me, every camera I've owned must not have been set to AdobeRGB by default - or by the previous owner.

I've already stated I knew nothing about changing colour space until about two days' ago, so have not changed it on any camera I've owned.

My 600D and 80D were the only ones I bought new and they both exported IMG_0000 file names - even in RAW. I didn't change it, so this must be how they came from the factory.

The 300D, 20D and 5D (classic) were all SH and I didn't change it on those either.

As I say, it's no biggy, I was just confused - especially as I reset all settings when I got the 5D3, so you'd assume they'd all be set up to work in the same colour space from factory.

Last edited:
I wasn't saying they weren't capable of doing it. But clearly from the information everyone's given me, every camera I've owned must not have been set to AdobeRGB by default - or by the previous owner.

I've already stated I knew nothing about changing colour space until about two days' ago, so have not changed it on any camera I've owned.

My 600D and 80D were the only ones I bought new and they both exported IMG_0000 file names - even in RAW. I didn't change it, so this must be how they came from the factory.

The 300D, 20D and 5D (classic) were all SH and I didn't change it on those either.

As I say, it's no biggy, I was just confused - especially as I reset all settings when I got the 5D3, so you'd assume they'd all be set up to work in the same colour space from factory.
I’d fully expect a factory reset to reset the colour space too.

Back